Toast Pick #10 - Welcome to Carlton Lochie O'Brien!

Remove this Banner Ad

I must admit I got excited when I saw Fogarty sliding watching the draft, I thought for sure we would take him if available.

I’m happy with this selection though. Hard running skilful player, hopefully he can be our winger for 12+ years. The fact that he got tagged so much this year shows how good he must’ve been in his underage year. Not many youngsters have to deal with a tag, he’s already seen how difficult things can be to be a top liner, the better you are the more attention you will receive and the more work that will be put into you.
Not sure why people think Fogarty would be a better option. Underwhelming senior year. Don't need a 3rd tall and no didn't show anything as a midfielder. Was one I didn't want.

LOB will replace the outside part of Gibbs game that we have lost while giving more run and carry.

I must admit I got excited when I saw Fogarty sliding watching the draft, I thought for sure we would take him if available.

I’m happy with this selection though. Hard running skilful player, hopefully he can be our winger for 12+ years. The fact that he got tagged so much this year shows how good he must’ve been in his underage year. Not many youngsters have to deal with a tag, he’s already seen how difficult things can be to be a top liner, the better you are the more attention you will receive and the more work that will be put into you.

I think we all gave Fogarty more than a passing thought as @10 approached, but i think we can move on from that. He clearly gave all impressions that he wanted to stay home (same as Charlie, Dow, LDU etc).

SOS has confirmed in an Age article that Ed Richards was 2nd on his list for @10. Pies confirmed that Murphy was their 2nd option at 6:eek:. Saints travelled to Lucindale to interview Darcy again late, but passed.

Fog was bound for Adelaide all along it seems.

Not sure why people think Fogarty would be a better option. Underwhelming senior year. Don't need a 3rd tall and no didn't show anything as a midfielder. Was one I didn't want.

LOB will replace the outside part of Gibbs game that we have lost while giving more run and carry.

Exactly...we already have Charlie and SOSOS as third talls and Fogarty would come with a flight risk...SOS keeps making the right moves.

I think Lochie was picked from a long way out. Had a great underage year.. fast, runs all day, great kick.

He had a down year but think he will be a very good player. Every side needs a player like him

Funny a lot of SOS picks have "ïnterupted preparations" ! Its his MO in all its different guisses. shoulder, knees, Kidneys, ......

Yeah, he is exactly the type we need. Clearly our recruiters, who have watched thousands of hours of these kids playing, rated O’Brien higher. As soon as it became apparent that O’Brien was a player we were looking at for this pick I’ve given his selection a lot of thought. I really like this pick, a pure midfielder who has great skill, can find the footy and can run all day.

No , there clearly wasn't anyone comparing him to Josh Kelly.

There was clearly ME comparing Lochie's attributes to some of Josh Kelly's attributes while clearly stating that he had a helluva lot of performing to do to approach Kelly.

Read somewhere a redo of the 2013 draft

1 Bont
2 Cripps
3 Cant rember Merret?
4 Josh Kelly

"Kreuzer taps in down to Cripps, who extracts it to Dow. Dow explodes clear of the pack and handballs it outside to O'Brien who takes off and delivers it lace out to McKay, 20 metres out on a very slight angle."

FFS Pumpy!

Did McKay kick the goal?

The suspense is killing me!

I think we all gave Fogarty more than a passing thought as @10 approached, but i think we can move on from that. He clearly gave all impressions that he wanted to stay home (same as Charlie, Dow, LDU etc).

SOS has confirmed in an Age article that Ed Richards was 2nd on his list for @10. Pies confirmed that Murphy was their 2nd option at 6:eek:. Saints travelled to Lucindale to interview Darcy again late, but passed.

Fog was bound for Adelaide all along it seems.

link is here http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...can-conquer-homesickness-20171125-gzssev.html

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was one who posted that he plays LIKE Josh Kelly, what i should've said was that he will be better than Josh Kelly. He also looks like the type that can handle the pressure.
Yeah look.

I can't be arsed finding the original post but it didn't mention Kelly or ref any particular post.

Just want the kid to get a game and see what he turns into. Has skills we desperately need and could be a terrific player for us.

No more from me on the matter.

Funny a lot of SOS picks have "ïnterupted preparations" ! Its his MO in all its different guisses. shoulder, knees, Kidneys, ......
Yep, but he picks the players that have already demonstrated their talent before getting injured. It’s not just wish and a prayer stuff.

Those players come at a discounted price because their performances have either been hindered by injury or abrieviated by injury. They also come with a guaranteed upside once they‘re fully fit. It’s really smart recruiting.

Last edited:
Is it me or does Dow and O'Brian look almost the same in the face? The hair colour seems to be the only thing that tells them apart.

DowNov24Hero.jpg
OBrienNov24Hero.jpg

Great to see as I had us taking the both of them with our first 2 picks. Both he and Dow have played together in 3 different teams and are, by all accounts, good mates. Wonder if we picked LOB up for somewhat this reason.

Anyway, I am rapt! Welcome to CFC.

FFS Pumpy!

Did McKay kick the goal?

The suspense is killing me!
"And big Harry McKay calmly slots through his sixth just before the half time siren and Carlton head to the main break in a commanding position. Amazing to think that McKay, in only his fourth year, is on track to kick 100 before round 15."

"And big Harry McKay calmly slots through his sixth just before the half time siren and Carlton head to the main break in a commanding position. Amazing to think that McKay, in only his fourth year, is on track to kick 100 before round 15."

Do we end up winning the game though?

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...om-draft-page-43.1155992/page-2#post-48760404

Feb. 2017

Bendigo Pioneer's Lochie O'Brien is a complete midfielder with elite skills, decision making, endurance, speed and a great mark overhead for his size. He wins the ball on the inside and outside getting his possession all over the ground, if Lochie has the ball running inside 50 you can almost guarantee the ball hitting the forward on the chest he just has incredible vision.

Discussing this kid with Kevin "Shifter" Sheehan last year he also believes this kid will be a star and its quite easy to see why.

Also...

Tom De Koning
from Dandenong Stingrays is still very skinny but his potential is enormous, he has a great leap with the ability to push in the ruck with his size and great hands.

I think it’s great that he’s mostly an outside player. As long as he doesn’t shirk the contest when it happens I’ll love him to bits. But other than that I hope he skirts the packs, roams the wings, breaks games open with his pace and drills it to a leading forward. We are dying for a guy just like this.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

What was O'Briens sprint time at the combine? Interesting to read that O'Briens knee injury really restricted him throughout the year. He stated that over a 6 week period he was unable to train and would just try to recover and get up for games. This is what SOS would have known and a reason he didn't perform as he would of liked. This resilience would've really appealed to Bolts regardless of the output.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back