Toast Pick #10 - Welcome to Carlton Lochie O'Brien!

Remove this Banner Ad

Loved him looking at Peter Wright and him thinking I got him covered and making the play (admittedly Rowe made 2m Peter look slow).

Also loved the pass to Wright that was over Wrights head and kept him running to goal to set up a scoring opportunity.
Wright didn't break stride, a perfect pass

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Can we acknowledge how big a season O’Brien had?

For an 18yo who I thought would take at least 1-2 seasons to see any meaningful game time, I am very impressed that he managed to play 18 games and finish so well (with his two 20+ disposal performances coming in the final two rounds). He did all that without a full pre-season and I expect with better fitness & conditioning, plus the experience he gained this year, he’ll improve considerably in 2019.

I was initially skeptical that he was the right pick. With his light frame, mediocre U18 season & concerns about his toughness, I wasn’t banking on him making it. Even though I had written off last year as a result of constant injury and playing in a woeful Geelong Grammar side, there were a few red flags. Not only that, we had overlooked the likes of Richards and Fogarty to pick him.

However, he quietly had one of the better rookie seasons we’ve seen at Carlton in recent years and comfortably measured up around the league. Often with young players, you don’t need them to be flashy early. If they can be solid and do their role with minimal fuss, sometimes no news is good news.

His running capacity was exactly as advertised - elite, and only going to get better. His kicking needs to be more consistent, but he was able to use it as a weapon more frequently than I expected in his first year playing AFL.

I’m also nearly ready to completely dismiss any concerns about his toughness and defensive effort. He played a few disciplined run-with roles without any major issue. He had a number of unsung 1%ers which undoubtedly would have made internal highlight reels (he laid a ripping shepherd on the back flank in the 2nd half of the Gold Coast game to set up an attack - completely unheralded yet one of the plays of the game). To my eye, he’s made of the right stuff. He just needs to keep doing it consistently.

Even last night, he made a few bad skill errors where he missed simple 20-30m kicks. However, he persevered, kept getting involved and finished with a few really sharp kicks to advantage. That’ll be a good lesson for him.

Going forward, I’m bullish about what he can become. Initially, I was worried that he’d be a poor man’s Suckling - limited, one-sided and very outside. Now, I think he’s damaging and athletic enough to play on a wing and be very effective. He’s still certainly not a lock to make it and he has a lot of work to do, but he has easily surpassed my expectations so far. Looking forward to seeing how he develops.

Can we acknowledge how big a season O’Brien had?

For an 18yo who I thought would take at least 1-2 seasons to see any meaningful game time, I am very impressed that he managed to play 18 games and finish so well (with his two 20+ disposal performances coming in the final two rounds). He did all that without a full pre-season and I expect with better fitness & conditioning, plus the experience he gained this year, he’ll improve considerably in 2019.

I was initially skeptical that he was the right pick. With his light frame, mediocre U18 season & concerns about his toughness, I wasn’t banking on him making it. Even though I had written off last year as a result of constant injury and playing in a woeful Geelong Grammar side, there were a few red flags. Not only that, we had overlooked the likes of Richards and Fogarty to pick him.

However, he quietly had one of the better rookie seasons we’ve seen at Carlton in recent years and comfortably measured up around the league. Often with young players, you don’t need them to be flashy early. If they can be solid and do their role with minimal fuss, sometimes no news is good news.

His running capacity was exactly as advertised - elite, and only going to get better. His kicking needs to be more consistent, but he was able to use it as a weapon more frequently than I expected in his first year playing AFL.

I’m also nearly ready to completely dismiss any concerns about his toughness and defensive effort. He played a few disciplined run-with roles without any major issue. He had a number of unsung 1%ers which undoubtedly would have made internal highlight reels (he laid a ripping shepherd on the back flank in the 2nd half of the Gold Coast game to set up an attack - completely unheralded yet one of the plays of the game). To my eye, he’s made of the right stuff. He just needs to keep doing it consistently.

Even last night, he made a few bad skill errors where he missed simple 20-30m kicks. However, he persevered, kept getting involved and finished with a few really sharp kicks to advantage. That’ll be a good lesson for him.

Going forward, I’m bullish about what he can become. Initially, I was worried that he’d be a poor man’s Suckling - limited, one-sided and very outside. Now, I think he’s damaging and athletic enough to play on a wing and be very effective. He’s still certainly not a lock to make it and he has a lot of work to do, but he has easily surpassed my expectations so far. Looking forward to seeing how he develops.

Nice. He probably surpassed many expectations, but he did show what he was made of early in the piece via the JLT.
Even when he made a made an error, he didn't retreat into his shell, but took a chance at the next opportunity. i.e. He backed himself in.
I liked that a lot and even though he may have been in the shadow of Dow, he didn't do himself any injustice at all. Good trait to have and good on him for it.

Injuries have given him more of a run than expected. Working extremely hard, especially on defensive side of game. Exceeded expectations. Coaches very happy.

Kicking won't be an issue. It's just experience. Big pre season coming up. Needs to add some muscle/strength. Needs an AFL body. Don't be surprised to see him play more midfield in 2019

Last edited:
Finished strongly with 20 & 22 disposal outings.

Just having a look at TOG, he averaged 76.5 for the season which is pretty good for a 1st year player. His first 3 games averaged just the 71% but his last 3 games where up to an average of 86%. Looking forward to seeing what he can do next year after a full preseason.

Last 2 games has really looked he belonged and added a lot, already feel safe when he has the ball because you know if he doesn't at least put it to advantage it will be a 50/50 at worst.

Will probably be the best kick at the club once he gets used to the pace of the game and his kicks aren't getting smothered, I have no doubt they all were probably on target but yeah beautiful looking kick.

Massive end of the year from LOB.

Last edited:
Stated before that I have watched Lochie play over the last couple of years, of junior footy. Has always been a smooth mover and once he starts to really balance, put on some size/strength and adapt to the pace of the game, everyone will realise why he was taken at 10, which I believe was a slide, given how well he played in his underage year, prior to some niggles.

What he has already shown, despite some of the talk early on, is his commitment to hunt the ball and the player

Will be a ripper

It's crazy to think how people can write off kids after 20 odd games..
I think he'll end up being quite a classy player once he's done his apprenticeship.
It's been said allot but he is a little Isaac Smith clone. And you know how many game of AFL Isaac Smith had played before the age of 21 .... Zero.

Last week our list was s**t and this week it's good again ...
Fickle business

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hallmark of over coaching. Let the kids play their natural game with a limited set of instructions and if they * it up at least they've had a learning experience.

I have no doubts Lochie will play 150+ games for Carlton.

Hallmark of over coaching. Let the kids play their natural game with a limited set of instructions and if they **** it up at least they've had a learning experience.

I have no doubts Lochie will play 150+ games for Carlton.
Did the players appear enthusiastic doing their thing and enjoying their football (even when down by 6 goals) or is it all in my head?
It didn't seem to be overly contrived

It's crazy to think how people can write off kids after 20 odd games..
I think he'll end up being quite a classy player once he's done his apprenticeship.
It's been said allot but he is a little Isaac Smith clone. And you know how many game of AFL Isaac Smith had played before the age of 21 .... Zero.

Last week our list was **** and this week it's good again ...
Fickle business

Kid was declared a draft bust by some in the SOS thread this week.
All the more reason to sack SOS, LOB is a bust.
Sheesh!!
Give it some time people.
As seen, our entire team stuck recently because they were nervous, confused and uncertain.

LOB has an excellent tank, and can be a great kick. With proper development he will be a best 22 player, likely on the wing.

Where do people think LOB will end up playing? I'm thinking maybe a wing

Running all day, half back to half forward, along the wing, and then delivering them darts into the FWD.

We got some endurance monsters in Charlie, Walsh and LOB.
It will be a weapon for us eventually.

A lot of people had written him off already which is crazy but Looked to play with freedom yesterday and go about his natural game and he reminded us of the talent this kid has.

His kicking is sublime and is going to be a weapon going forward. Also he constantly worked both ways.

I don't think it's writing him off but more he needs time to develop. Looked good yesterday. Still a very young player :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back