Player Watch Luke Pedlar

Will Luke Pedlar be in at the first centre bounce of the 2024 season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

sh*t these kids are massive units already.

Yeah, both look like absolute man childs. Still it might not be that much of a concern if their attack on the ball remains as aggressive as it was in juniors.

Will Adelaide release a video like GWS? Found it very interesting. Hope all 18 clubs release one.

Always find these quite fascinating. Obviously there are cuts and it’s not a complete picture, but we can still infer quite a bit.

On the pre-draft clip GWS had Essendon taking Cox and Perkins being a good result as they were supposedly not in their 4. Quayle also thought Essendon would take Zach Reid along with the other 2, but he wasn’t specifically mentioned in the above conversation.

They also thought Tanner Bruhn might go to Essendon but get past Adelaide.

Logically you’d think Bruhn was one of their targets, Reid possibly too. But then they said, “Tanner should get to 10 we have to decide” before cutting out to “We should pick Stone.”

The implication is that there’s another player they are deciding on with Bruhn. The quick response to the Pedlar selection was an immediate call on Bruhn, which could be interpreted as us taking the decision out of their hands. Possibly they saw Pedlar being available at one of their later picks if we hadn’t drafted him, but the earlier statement on Stone doesn’t quite fit.

Then GWS said, “If Chapman goes to Freo, we’re going Stone” – could hypothesise they wanted Chapman and felt Stone would slide, again lending support to the theory they had someone else in mind for the Bruhn pick as they could have picked him earlier.

With Reid and Chapman being key defenders, perhaps this was a need, but only if they could get one of the two. With both being gone, they elect to pick Stone instead of whoever they had ranked next.

They also felt we might trade our pick, but then they said, “If Crows pick Stone, North deal is on.”

This could be interpreted in 2 ways. Perhaps North had wanted to trade up. In this scenario they predict North are after Bruhn or another mid and are prepared to trade up one pick. GWS do the trade and let North take Bruhn, as another player who is just as good/better would still be available. As the deal didn’t happen after our pick, this other player must have been Pedlar.

Alternatively they might have been looking to trade up to North’s pick to jump Freo for Pedlar or Chapman, but the latter doesn’t make sense that this would be contingent on us drafting Stone. This trade didn’t happen means that GWS were content with having the choice of Chapman or Stone after Freo’s pick.

Suspect they rated them - Bruhn = Pedlar > Chapman = Stone

On some of the phantom drafts, it had seemed like GWS and Freo were interested in Pedlar as a pick in the 20s. I think Knightmare also had us taking him in the 20s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

9. Future accountant?

Just this week, Pedlar received an impressive ATAR score, which got him into a Bachelor of Accounting. He’s not 100 per cent sure whether that’s the course he wants to study, but his high ATAR will provide him options.

Can we get onto this kid and get him to do something else, I.e., anything, anything at all?

9. Future accountant?

Just this week, Pedlar received an impressive ATAR score, which got him into a Bachelor of Accounting. He’s not 100 per cent sure whether that’s the course he wants to study, but his high ATAR will provide him options.

Can we get onto this kid and get him to do something else, I.e., anything, anything at all?

We seem to have an affinity with "smart" draftees, ROB and NVB were both close to genius status when we drafted them.

We seem to have an affinity with "smart" draftees, ROB and NVB were both close to genius status when we drafted them.
To be fair, a high ATAR usually says less about how smart you are, and more about how disciplined and dedicated you are. That you are mature enough to apply yourself when needed.

I can see why those are valuable traits for a young footballer to have, although obviously it's not nearly as important as, you know, their ability to play football.

Yes it was, but they tried to get it across the line all day and had no idea the Crows were selecting Pedlar there. The video is also selectively edited to suit a positive narrative for their draft haul, footage of them desperately trying to get a trade done with the Crows probably isn’t going to make the cut.
Read the article about the draft? Fail

You don't really need a high ATAR for an accounting degree. Like, 75 or so will get you in.

This is like when Dangerfield needed to stay home to focus on his year 12 and then it came out he was applying for a degree that had an entry score of 60.
Did he even go to uni? People put a lot of emphasis into finishing school, but that's only useful if you use it to get into uni.

With which pick?

It doesn’t matter - they had 3 picks after our 11 but before our 27. So if we hadn’t take him so early they would have got him. They appear to have expected Freo to take Chapman first up which meant they would get him. We surprised by going as early as we did

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It doesn’t matter - they had 3 picks after our 11 but before our 27. So if we hadn’t take him so early they would have got him. They appear to have expected Freo to take Chapman first up which meant they would get him. We surprised by going as early as we did

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
It does matter, because it goes to how highly they rated him.

We had some on here imagining total devastation based on their footage from the draft. We had BACCS stating what a hard edge we developed by keeping our pick when it looks like there was only one club Freo likely to pick him that early.

The recent AFL article pointed out they weren’t considering him with their first 2 picks.

Look I’m not unhappy we picked him that early, I just find the need to talk up his selection by imagining this great demand is just delusional based on a need to justify the selection and make themselves feel better about it.

Back