Player Watch Pick #12 (2018) - Zak Butters

Remove this Banner Ad

ZAK BUTTERS

181 / 70 / RF

606726.jpg

Clubs: Western / Vic Metro

Positions: Out/In Mid, Small Forward

Stats:

Zac has been on the radar for over 12 months after an excellent bottom age year for Western Jets playing alongside Cam Rayner. He averaged over 17 disposals and 3 inside 50s a game as a bottom ager, increasing that to 20 disposals and 4 inside 50s a game this year. He played 4 games at the Champs, averaging 13 disposals and 2 inside 50s a game, with his final game being ruined by an early injury.

Gamestyle:

Zac is a small outside midfielder who has good inside skills and can play on a flank. He has elite skills, is a hard runner and is full of impact.

The best part of Zac’s game is his football IQ. He is a natural footballer. Zac is a great user of the ball by hand and has an excellent right foot kick which consistently hits targets. He can see the play unfold and makes decisions for the betterment of his team.

Whilst not blessed with great top end speed, he is pacey off the mark, always seems to be moving and knows how to get separation on his opponent. He is a hard runner, has good endurance and is hard to curtail for this fact.

Defensively he could be better. His defensive pressure needs to improve and he can ball watch on occasion.

Whilst he looks great on the outside, he does have good inside ability. He can win the hard ball, he puts his head over the footy and is capable of coping a hit. When playing through the midfield he is capable of winning first possession and getting clearances.

Depending on the club, Zac is capable of fitting into AFL football straight away. He will need to put on some extra size, but he has the smarts to play on a flank in year 1.

Draft Range: 10-20

Zac is one of the classiest players in this years draft pool, possessing great skill and good athleticism. Port at pick 10 will be the first team to consider him. Geelong at 12, Adelaide at 13, Freo at 14 and Richmond at 17 will look to him as well.

All class. Great skills. He's our long term inside 50 deliverer. As I said on the podcast last week, he's almost the forgotten man. Everyone overlooked him for us but he was the exact type we needed. Very happy we got him.

I liked Butters last year but cooled on him this year, partly because I hardly saw him play. Given the shoulder injury I’m prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Will he start as a small forward?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back