Player Watch Pick #12 (2021) - Josh Sinn

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone was talking up his explosive speed before the season started. In the limited game time he had before and after his OP, he looked anything but fast.

Can we assume this is because he was playing injured the whole time?
I can only assume it was because he was injured. In his junior year, he had some serious pace to burn. I compared him to a bigger version of Adam Saad last year

He looked a completely different player after that internal trial game. I have no idea why he was selected to play AFL, he looked cooked at that point.

Hopefully he gets back to full fitness. In that internal trial he showed some nice traits. Good speed and really clean hands at ground level.

I think he is going to be a real slow burn. Has barely played 5 games of football in 2 or years. I don't expect to see him in the AFL team until 2024.

I re-watched the internal trial last night focusing on Sinn.
His possessions mostly came from outside, receiving play. He didn’t really display evasive agility or inside power, but his closing speed to tackle was elite. Agree that if he ever gets to full fitness, he’s going to need considerable match-time before we get to see why we recruited him. I just hope that unlike Nathan Freeman and many others, he does get to the AFL starting line.

I'm not sure that it was necessarily Sinn, but that there were 12 (14) players we thought were worth that price, or at least understood that there was a good chance that one of the 10 players we rated as worth the price would be there at 12 (14).

Our recruiters were saying we would prefer access to one of these 10 players and a third rounder this year than Ladhams and the players available at 16 (Sheldrick, Goater, JVR etc).

Then on draft night we doubled down when we saw Sinn was still available, and added a second rounder to avoid someone else jumping in and taking Sinn, Essendon takings Hobbs and us getting left with the same pool we would have had if we hadn't traded out Ladhams.

We did also get a fourth rounder from WCE at the back end of the draft basically for free, which we used in Visentini from memory.

Not a call I agree with, but it looks like this at the moment:
Out: Ladhams, 16 -> 12 -> 10, 2022 pick 26
In: Sinn, Visentini, 2022 pick 49-54 (pending swans finishing position).

Everyone was talking up his explosive speed before the season started. In the limited game time he had before and after his OP, he looked anything but fast.

Can we assume this is because he was playing injured the whole time?
Agree he looked slow & I'm hoping it's injury related only

I'm not sure that it was necessarily Sinn, but that there were 12 (14) players we thought were worth that price, or at least understood that there was a good chance that one of the 10 players we rated as worth the price would be there at 12 (14).

Our recruiters were saying we would prefer access to one of these 10 players and a third rounder this year than Ladhams and the players available at 16 (Sheldrick, Goater, JVR etc).

Then on draft night we doubled down when we saw Sinn was still available, and added a second rounder to avoid someone else jumping in and taking Sinn, Essendon takings Hobbs and us getting left with the same pool we would have had if we hadn't traded out Ladhams.

We did also get a fourth rounder from WCE at the back end of the draft basically for free, which we used in Visentini from memory.

Not a call I agree with, but it looks like this at the moment:
Out: Ladhams, 16 -> 12 -> 10, 2022 pick 26
In: Sinn, Visentini, 2022 pick 49-54 (pending swans finishing position).
This is a very good description of the situation.

The problem I have with the club's decision making here is that they were basing their assessments of the top 12 players off of really limited form. Mostly U16 games for the Vic guys.

The range of uncertainty was high and they bet the farm.

We will see how it all works out. Plenty of time yet for Sinn to show us something

These are the 2021 selections from Rd 11 onwards. Who should we have selected at 12 if not Sinn? If we kept ladhams and pick 16, who should we have selected?

None of the players below have done anything much that I'm aware of. Adelaide did well with Soligo at 30 something.

Screenshot_20220828-184613_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
These are the 2021 selections from Rd 11 onwards. Who should we have selected at 12 if not Sinn? If we kept ladhams and pick 16, who should we have selected?

None of the players below have done anything much that I'm aware of. Adelaide did well with Soligo at 30 something.

View attachment 1493349
If we had kept 16; Goater, Lohman, Motlop or Knevitt

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Way too early to make a definitive call. But you'd want to see something by May next year otherwise the "Nathan Freeman" calls start to get a bit louder. Long way to go yet

If we had traded back maybe we could have got Macdonald (who i really like and did at the time) plus motlop. Plus we would still have a second rounder this year. Anyway, we must have seen some massive upside with Sinn and hopefully he gets a chance to show it.

He's not had a good run at all. Just noticed he's had hernia surgery now too. Assume the groin issue is linked to the hernia issue.

Josh Sinn keeps on being mentioned in the trade and best 23 threads. I note that this year he must have had OP and syndesmosis and some one mentioned a hernia operation. Groin and ankle issues were highlighted before the draft. Does anybody know where he is at with his injury issues?

Josh Sinn keeps on being mentioned in the trade and best 23 threads. I note that this year he must have had OP and syndesmosis and some one mentioned a hernia operation. Groin and ankle issues were highlighted before the draft. Does anybody know where he is at with his injury issues?

Sinn, JHF & Fanta = like having three new players

hopefully chuck in dixon into this

a fit firing dixon brings a new dynamic to the team

I wonder if dixon could play full back, or whether he doesn't have the leap or mobility anymore

hopefully chuck in dixon into this

a fit firing dixon brings a new dynamic to the team

I wonder if dixon could play full back, or whether he doesn't have the leap or mobility anymore

Don't know if a player who has played 100+ games for the club can be treated as 'new'...

We struggle to kick enough goals as it is, we don't need our CHF playing in the back line

Remove this Banner Ad

Back