Player Watch Pick #12 (2018) - Zak Butters

Remove this Banner Ad

Loved his verbals at Gawn at 1/2 time. Even Garry Lyon acknowledged it was working. We beat him up physically then worked him over mentally.

Lyon said on The Couch Rozee and Butters should expect to have their names circled next time we play Melbourne. Will be interesting to see if they do pick the easiest targets of all the guys who broke Gawn

Would be absolutely typical of Goodwin's Melbourne if they do.

Would be absolutely typical of Goodwin's Melbourne if they do.

Our players won’t sit back and do nothing like the Melb players did. We’re not scheduled to play them again this year, so if we do play them again this year, it’ll be in a final.

I think we know how Hartlett, Jonas, Wines, Boak, Dixon, Lycett and Powell-Pepper just to name a few would react to a couple of teenagers in their first year being targeted like that. It’s safe to say every guy in our team would go in for em, but they’d be first to fight back.

Our players won’t sit back and do nothing like the Melb players did. We’re not scheduled to play them again this year, so if we do play them again this year, it’ll be in a final.

I think we know how Hartlett, Jonas, Wines, Boak, Dixon, Lycett and Powell-Pepper just to name a few would react to a couple of teenagers in their first year being targeted like that. It’s safe to say every guy in our team would go in for em, but they’d be first to fight back.
I’m not sure there would be any perceptible difference in the way sam would approach the game.

Loved his verbals at Gawn at 1/2 time. Even Garry Lyon acknowledged it was working. We beat him up physically then worked him over mentally.

Lyon said on The Couch Rozee and Butters should expect to have their names circled next time we play Melbourne. Will be interesting to see if they do pick the easiest targets of all the guys who broke Gawn

That's why I wasn't unhappy to see Jordan Lewis as a late withdrawal - he would have delighted in picking on our first gamers.

Greg Phillips told Scott Salisbury at the start of the 1990 grand final if anything happened to Gavin Wanganeen, Salisbury wouldn't be walking off the ground.

We took care of our own back then. We can do it again.

Those pricks targeted Todd Marshall last year in just his second game back from compassionate leave.

Cry me a river!

Last year, I watched Jetta relentlessly punching Robbie Gray in the back - just sneaky little jabs, off the ball and in front of the umpire. Not even a warning. Of course this year it's a free kick.

Those pricks targeted Todd Marshall last year in just his second game back from compassionate leave.

Cry me a river!
Marshall copped a couple of hits last game too and ended up with a concussion.

I still think that he’s an Andrew McGrath clone, except that he’s not going to be hidden in the back pocket in his first year, and that he has shown us an insane commitment to the contest that McGrath did not in year one.

Zak made some mistakes this week, but played the best game you could hope first up. His decision making and disposal under forty are elite, and, he ran down Josh Hunt in a chase, he has elite top end speed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the other hand Watts would have been surprised that he didn’t seem to be targeted at all by his ex teammates.
Very strange.

A highlight for me on Saturday was one of Zak's defensive actions. Jayden Hunt took possession of the footy across half back and went for one of his dashes. Robbie tried to chase Hunt down at first but got burnt off. Then Zak entered the chase. Zak reached him but Hunt just got his kick away before being tackled to the ground. Impressive.

A highlight for me on Saturday was one of Zak's defensive actions. Jayden Hunt took possession of the footy across half back and went for one of his dashes. Robbie tried to chase Hunt down at first but got burnt off. Then Zak entered the chase. Zak reached him but Hunt just got his kick away before being tackled to the ground. Impressive.
Yes young Zac showed real leg speed as does Rozee and Duusma.

Another one for Zak's growing portfolio of...expressive facial expressions:

D25SELFVYAAWRvW.jpg

I thought he was in and out of the game early, and that it was very impressive that he was able to turn that around and impact with some really classy touches late. That set up inside for the Motlop goal was pure class, and there were other moments in the second half.

This guy is going to get pulverised one day. Reminds me a bit of a young Wilbur the way he commits to the ball sometimes.

He's just so quick. Not necessarily in leg speed (although he's no slouch there either), but in brain speed and reflexes. Just seems to react a split second quicker than everyone else around him. You can't teach that, you've either got it or you don't, and Butters has it in spades.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back