Player Watch Pick #12 (2018) - Zak Butters

Remove this Banner Ad

His disposal of the ball is elite. Genuinely hard to explain but the angles he uses with even 3m handballs creates space where there is none. His kicks create run and movement. You add to that the desire and willingness to attack the ball. Some sort of prospect. I see a future possibility of him exceeding Rozee if he can consistently rack up 28 touches.

I reckon he is a midfielder at heart, just needs to bulk up enough to get in there.

He definitely does a lot of good things as a small forward but I don’t think it suits him that much.

If Motlop was actually in form he might be in danger of losing his spot, but right now he is pretty safe I think, despite falling out of games a little due to his size.

Regardless he is an absolute jet IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Butters had a terrible first quarter but the rest of his game was fine. Thinking about it a bit more, I'm not sure playing him in the SANFL will benefit him all that much, although he won't be directly under Hinkley, so that's something. I'd drop him only to protect his future.

Guys that base their game around their speed tend to do poorly in wet weather. All three of Duursma, Butters and Rozee had below average games, but there's nothing you can do about it.

It's up to guys who are meant to win contested possession like Wines and Drew to pick up the slack in those games. They didn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back