Player Watch Pick #12 (2018) - Zak Butters

Remove this Banner Ad

Mayes gets a bad wrap on here - he's a better player than he's gotten credit for and would have been best 22 on a wing if Amon hadnt stood up / duursma delivered so fast. He's also only 25, so not exactly old.
Yep. Mayes at his best could be one of our best.

He hasn't shown anything to indicate he can return to that kind of form but if he does it adds a lot

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Difference between DBJ/Houston and Sutcliffe is that DBJ and Houston were untried kids and Sutcliffe is a 28 year old with 100+ games of experience under his belt.
That is irrelevant to the point!

If Sutcliffe or Mayes perform their ass off, and some of the others in the 22 perform crap ... then they deserve to be be rewarded regardless of where you want to pidgin hole them!

Anyway .. read the thread, the issue is about insulting, disrespecting, and verballing players wearing the prison bars and teal. I detest some of the vicious posting here that bully & berate players that give their all for my club, all from armchair twits that think that they can say or do what they want, just because they pay a few dollars every year to put their fat bums on seats!

Have a go at the coaches for poor management of them, by all means. But a hardworking Port Adelaide player, just giving his all, deserves more than that.

If Sutcliffe or Mayes perform their ass off, and some of the others in the 22 perform crap ... then they deserve to be be rewarded regardless of where you want to pidgin hole them!

I don't care what they 'deserve'. This is professional sport, not little league. Our aim is to win premierships, not to make sure we give everyone a fair go.

Cam Sutcliffe is proven over a long period of time to not be up to the standard at AFL level. He should not play an AFL game this year. He shouldn't even be on our list.

Last year it was pointless to play Ryder, Sam Gray and Sutcliffe (remember when Ken kept him in the AFL side to try and prove a point against the backlash?).

That's at least 20 games wasted into players who aren't part of our next premiership

You can add Broadbent to that list.

That is irrelevant to the point!

If Sutcliffe or Mayes suddenly starts performing at a level they haven't throughout their careers to date, then sure give them games. The reality is players at 28 with over 100 games, who are bog average players you should only play when injuries decimate your side, don't suddenly go up multiple levels (a ruck with an injury history maybe the only possible exception).

I'm sure all of us on this board would happily kiss Sutcliffe's feet and beg forgiveness if he suddenly turned into peak Judd from round 2 through the end of his career, but there's more chance of Bec Judd leaving Chris to marry Tony Jones then that happening.

Sutcliffe should be there only as a last resort choice, so we aren't playing a youngster picked in round 3 or 4 whose body isn't up to AFL yet, not as a Ken regular, because he can provide 'some experience' because we cluster*ed our list management of players between our young stars and near retirement senior players.

Mayes shouldn't be lumped in with Sutcliffe. He's a former top 10 pick as opposed to a rookie pick. He's three years younger. He was playing good football for Brisbane up until 2018 when personal problems put him off his game. He hasn't yet been given an opportunity at AFL level in a PAFC guernsey. I'm not opposed to Mayes getting games if he earns them.

I don't care what they 'deserve'. This is professional sport, not little league. Our aim is to win premierships, not to make sure we give everyone a fair go.

Cam Sutcliffe is proven over a long period of time to not be up to the standard at AFL level. He should not play an AFL game this year. He shouldn't even be on our list.
Idiotic statement! What the hell has AFL being a "professional sport" got anything to do with NOT INSULTING our fringe players! It shows you havent read a word I have posted.

I said nothing about gifting them anything. Nothing about them even playing a game. They are Port players that are both out of our 22, and Jonas said they training well. Good on them, I hope they do a "peak-Judd" as well. But reality is no doubt the opposite.

If they do something wrong or stupid, then fire away. But while they are training their guts out for the club. Just shut the hell up! End of story ... Get over it.

Idiotic statement! What the hell has AFL being a "professional sport" got anything to do with NOT INSULTING our fringe players! It shows you havent read a word I have posted.

I said nothing about gifting them anything. Nothing about them even playing a game. They are Port players that are both out of our 22, and Jonas said they training well. Good on them, I hope they do a "peak-Judd" as well. But reality is no doubt the opposite.

If they do something wrong or stupid, then fire away. But while they are training their guts out for the club. Just shut the hell up! End of story ... Get over it.

Nobody is personally attacking Sutcliffe. I'm sure he's a great guy. Expressing an opinion about a footballer's footballing ability on a football forum is not 'insulting' them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The crows recruited Gibson just because he was a good trainer lol
But you do want hard trainers at the club to drive standard and if these 2 boys are doing that then good on them better than sitting back thinking oh well I'm on a list I'm getting paid probably won't get a game and just cruise along.

Last edited:
Last year it was pointless to play Ryder, Sam Gray and Sutcliffe (remember when Ken kept him in the AFL side to try and prove a point against the backlash?).

That's at least 20 games wasted into players who aren't part of our next premiership

our Club has been horrible at throwing away games that could have gone to developing players.

clurey is a great example. The guy is 26 years old but only has 82 games to his name.

Andrews 23yrs 98games
Taylor 21yrs 31 games
Weitering 22Yrs 77 games

clurey was a ready made stocky kid who has had no injuries.

Meanwhile Farrell, Marshall, ladhams, atley, Drew and Garner have a combined 56 games between the lot of them.

our Club has been horrible at throwing away games that could have gone to developing players.

clurey is a great example. The guy is 26 years old but only has 82 games to his name.

Andrews 23yrs 98games
Taylor 21yrs 31 games
Weitering 22Yrs 77 games

clurey was a ready made stocky kid who has had no injuries.

Meanwhile Farrell, Marshall, ladhams, atley, Drew and Garner have a combined 56 games between the lot of them.

Clurey was decidedly worse than Logan Austin for a time there. Many expected Clurey to be delisted and Austin to end up as our full back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back