Player Watch Pick #12 (2018) - Zak Butters

Kiss from a Rozee

Goddess
Bring Back the Bars
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
751C16D0-6D75-4068-BECF-E0A4A7655BE5.gif

I kind of wish people would dial back a bit on Butters the pest talk because we all know how that will play out with umpires. He'll make Robbie Gray look like he gets Ablett levels of protection.

I kind of wish people would dial back a bit on Butters the pest talk because we all know how that will play out with umpires. He'll make Robbie Gray look like he gets Ablett levels of protection.

Interesting take. Ballantyne is a known pest but gets a bunch of frees for it. So was Monfries. If the free is there, it usually get's paid. A pest usually wins outright and obvious frees. Gray just never gets paid those ticky-touchwood ones in a contest/high/push.

Well, actually, he never gets paid the obvious frees either.

I just think it's a reputation he can do without before he has even played a game.

Monfries though did have an amazing positive free for vs free against disparity. One year at Essendon he had a season of 50 frees for vs 11 against.

PJ Power

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 13, 2003
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I just think it's a reputation he can do without before he has even played a game.

Monfries though did have an amazing positive free for vs free against disparity. One year at Essendon he had a season of 50 frees for vs 11 against.

Robbie's situation is strange because he doesn't seem to abuse or remonstrate with the umpires at all, yet he gets reamed by them. Much like Tredders.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

At Essendon. Just look at Lindsay Thomas the soft free North player versus Lindsay ‘you sir are worse then Hitler’ Thomas the Port player treatment from the umpires and tribunal.

Butters getting in the face will be good, but he won’t get away with stuff like he plays for a big Vic club.

At Essendon. Just look at Lindsay Thomas the soft free North player versus Lindsay ‘you sir are worse then Hitler’ Thomas the Port player treatment from the umpires and tribunal.

Butters getting in the face will be good, but he won’t get away with stuff like he plays for a big Vic club.

Agree with your general sentiment but even at Port Monfries continued to get a positive differential. He had a 35-15 season at Port and every season he was in the positive.

Umps just saw things his way. I guess they thought he was a dreamboat. :D

It may have been too that he was more entertaining yappy than psycho physical.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

It's because umpires so often ping the retaliator.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Jason K

Premium Platinum
Mar 1, 2014
Henley Beach
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Looks a real player guys, where will he line up to start his career, HF?

He's already run through the square in centre bounce setups. I reckon he will be fwd but with plenty of time up the ground. JLT1 he had something like 28 disposals. He's small but he'll get plenty of time up the ground

Incarnate

Premiership Player
Jan 11, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I am super happy with this pick and to be honest all our first rounders. Quietly questioned our selections to myself but am suprised at the output in the pre season games. To be blunt, thats all they are and to expect a 22 game season or even a 11 game season of the calibre he (and other recruits) has displayed should be dispelled and only admired if it came to fruition.

Genuinely hope he stringsnsome games along this year but more importantly hope we dont overuse his talent while implicating his body as collateral damage.

All in all, the bloke looks like a deadset footballer.

Back