Player Watch Pick #12 (2018) - Zak Butters

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks a real player guys, where will he line up to start his career, HF?
Possibly. He can kick goals, snaps and set shots. And he can get the ball to create those chances. But to be honest I don't know. Would like to have a Monfries at the start of his career.

I really reckon Robbie, and in recent years Wingard, was too quick to appeal for a free, even through they were there. So he ends up having a rep with the umps. If he just went through with the play without overly remonstrating, he would get more frees awarded.

Victim blaming.

Playing for West Coast, they wouldn't even have time to appeal because the whistle would already have been blown.

I'm not sure if it's better to have Butters in the middle when Robbie is forward and then vice versa or raising hell together in the middle and forward.
******* love this fella.

Victim blaming.

Playing for West Coast, they wouldn't even have time to appeal because the whistle would already have been blown.
Victim blaming? Yes, unashamedly, if that's what you want to call it. I don't give a stuff about West Coast. I don't like it, I have never liked it, and I sincerely hope he refrains from ever doing it. He is just too good a player. Sadly old reputations still stick.

PS.. What PC advocates call "victim blaming," I call good advice to avoid being a victim!

Last edited:
Anyone see any playing similarities between Milne and Butters?
I just don't see these 'pesty' small forward comparisons at all. The bloke is clearly going to be a midfielder in time.

With his kicking, he should be aiming to emulate Zach Merrett's career trajectory.

Even in JLT Butters has shown to be a far more dynamic footballer than just a forward pocket goalsneak, let's not set the bar so low.

Anyone see any playing similarities between Milne and Butters?
Milne was a 176cm small forward (of dubious character). I reckon Butters has the potential to be so much more. At currently 181cm, and with to me his most outstanding quality the speed with which he can read the play, and his great decision-making ... I just see Robbie Gray! And from what we have been told, so does Robbie!

Milne was a 176cm small forward (of dubious character). I reckon Butters has the potential to be so much more. At currently 181cm, and with to me his most outstanding quality the speed with which he can read the play, and his great decision-making ... I just see Robbie Gray! And from what we have been told, so does Robbie!

Stephen Milne was an outstanding small forward, one of the best of the modern era. It's a flattering comparison for any small forward. But I do agree that Butters has midfield potential eventually.

Yep. Hence his nickname of ''young Bob''.

Milne was a champion footballer, one of the best small forwards I've seen. Ballantyne was quite good, not in the same class but still a very good aim for any aspiring young goalsneak. However Butters doesn't have many similarities to either of them in his game, it's been pretty evident that most of his footy has been played up the field around clearances with a notable strength being how he peels off out of congestion as that first option for the successful inside mid.

Milne was a champion footballer, one of the best small forwards I've seen. Ballantyne was quite good, not in the same class but still a very good aim for any aspiring young goalsneak. However Butters doesn't have many similarities to either of them in his game, it's been pretty evident that most of his footy has been played up the field around clearances with a notable strength being how he peels off out of congestion as that first option for the successful inside mid.
I know, I know!

Good player. I just can't stand the tosser.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Milne was an excellent small forward, but IIRC he had several stinkers against Port so its natural we might rate him less.

To illustrate this principle, describe Butters as potentially Paul Chapman-esque and you'll hear Port fan colons tighten.

Milne was an excellent small forward, but IIRC he had several stinkers against Port so its natural we might rate him less.

To illustrate this principle, describe Butters as potentially Paul Chapman-esque and you'll hear Port fan colons tighten.

Or Brent Harvey.

Brent ****ing Harvey.

Butters is not even remotely like Chapman in any sense of his game.

Harvey... yeah maybe.

Stephen Milne has become a very underrated and forgotten past player. Of modern era small forwards I'd still have him over Betts.

I agree, Betts is a sensational player but Milne's consistency of brilliance was extraordinary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back