Player Watch Pick #12 (2018) - Zak Butters

Remove this Banner Ad

You're right, how dare a coach try and coach an 18 year old player who just played his 3rd AFL game, just let him work it out in his own time :drunk:

You’re assuming Ken can coach. Lol yeah someone is drunk alright. Read my post more carefully. And when you’ve reread it read it again !! How dare a useless coach try & take out the Butter from Butters.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jesus I realise Hinkley bashing is the in thing right now, but there's nothing wrong with a coach chatting to a young player and suggesting he tries to not get himself suspended.

He said be cautious. I would rather a player take risks, play with some passion, take a risk. Cautious play, never taking a risk is what resulted in last years debacle. Hopefully we get rid of Ken before he hammers out the flair and excitement, playing on the edge of Butters, Rozee etc.

The fact that Zac took all of 3 games to get fined isn't surprising given his playing style. Although I'm more concerned he will get his kicked head in.

Ken telling him to "be cautious" is warranted.

The fact that Zac took all of 3 games to get fined isn't surprising given his playing style. Although I'm more concerned he will get his kicked head in.

Ken telling him to "be cautious" is warranted.

Oh really ? A kick to the head, elbow or punch is another matter. Cheap shots that should be reported. He did nothing wrong is why he should never of been fined either.

Mate it's something called "common sense" ... flying through the air like a missile with zero chance of getting the ball or impacting the play is dangerous and dumb footy! Brave, but dumb! We dont want him to go soft, or not attack the ball, but as a famous man once said, "you gotta know when to fold 'em!"

Kenny is 100% correct!
Agree

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think he needed to be told unless he’s dumb which I’m sure he’s not. His natural game is to go hard & that’s part of his arsenal. You can hurt yourself more if you go half arsed. If he gets suspended playing his natural game so be it. As he matures he’ll become smarter.

Just quietly a smile "Ok Zak there are limits ok" move on.

Jesus I realise Hinkley bashing is the in thing right now, but there's nothing wrong with a coach chatting to a young player and suggesting he tries to not get himself suspended.
I’m not Bashing Hinkley at all, I hate the statement “be cautious” where in our Creed does it hint at being cautious? Someone put up a GIF of Amon Squibbing against Collingwood years back at AO

He said be cautious. I would rather a player take risks, play with some passion, take a risk. Cautious play, never taking a risk is what resulted in last years debacle. Hopefully we get rid of Ken before he hammers out the flair and excitement, playing on the edge of Butters, Rozee etc.
Talk to me!!!

My son started skid kids when he was 5 and he would always crash around the corners so i dont him to slow down around the corners.
A father next to me who's son was a gun told me that's the worst thing to tell him because thats the hardest part and separates the kids. What im saying you dont tell kids to back of because aggresion can't be teached.

I’m not Bashing Hinkley at all, I hate the statement “be cautious” where in our Creed does it hint at being cautious? Someone put up a GIF of Amon Squibbing against Collingwood years back at AO

Where in the Creed does it say "Jump into a dude's head, it's all good"? The quote says he's fine with the effort, just stay on the ground, but everyone seems to be wetting the bed as though that suddenly means "just give the guy a warm hug"

Where in the Creed does it say "Jump into a dude's head, it's all good"? The quote says he's fine with the effort, just stay on the ground, but everyone seems to be wetting the bed as though that suddenly means "just give the guy a warm hug"
Second paragraph, I spoke to him and said “you have to be a little cautious”

I wonder how many times the great Coaches like Fos, Jack, Choco, Sheedy, Malthouse, Matthews, etc. told their players to be a little cautious.

Crack in.

Keep you’re feet, good players keep their feet, so on and so on... but never use the word “Cautious”

Imagine someone working in customer service being told to “Challenge Customers”

Jump into a dudes head? Carn. He pulled out for a start and only just made contact, and the only contact was hip to shoulder.....if I remember it right. Look fancy but really shouldn't have even been fined.

It's like a certain Far Side comic in here at the moment
EqmHyk3.gif

What Ken says:
“I spoke to him yesterday and I said to him, Zak you’ve just got to be a little bit cautious,” Hinkley said.

“And he said to me, 'I just don’t want to look soft...I just don’t want to look like that player who doesn’t go.'

“I mean, what can you say to a young 18-year-old who gives you that reply?

“I said, 'well mate it’s as dangerous for you as it is for the opposition so be a bit careful. Don’t leave the ground very often. Try and stay on the ground as best you can.'

“He is a brave little bugger and we love that about him.”

What the Port board hears:
blah blah blah blah blah BE blah blah blah blah CAUTIOUS

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Yep, a coach used the words "be" and "cautious" in the same day and players instantly put the two together and used it as their motto in life.
To execute a skill, do you repeat the consequence to yourself or think about the actual intended result?

There a words you just don’t say, they carry negative psychological impacts, caution is very grey but negative. I feel our group has a very neutral outlook at the moment and have done for some time. We need to move out of the Neutral zone and into the definitive area, Stand for something or fall for anything!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back