Analysis 2016 Draft...

Who do you realistically want @13?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

This raises the annual point of whether we draft the best available mid regardless of location or get the lesser SA kid.

Neither of those top 20 quality, and our club isn't gunshy of picking Vics.

Neither was Doedee but it didn't stop us there. I've been told once you get past the top 10 the next 20 are all fairly even. Pity we didn't do better in the Lyons deal another top 30 ish would be handy.

Yeah I think the club has repeatedly shown that won't be an issue when it comes to selecting a player.

I think we might be hoping a Scharenberg might fall to one of our picks in the 3rd round.

Yeah I think the club has repeatedly shown that won't be an issue when it comes to selecting a player.

I think we might be hoping a Scharenberg might fall to one of our picks in the 3rd round.
I doubt schatenberg will be still around by our 3rd rounder. I hope we pick him with 13 - sounds exactly like the sort of player we need.

If we don't take him with 13 port will grab him with one of their top 30 picks.

Maybe but as others have noted contested ball midfielders aren't going to have an effect over the next couple of years. With years in the gym maybe that will develop as he's quite slight.
The inside mids around our pick aren't going to be able to play inside for at least two years.
I've got him high up on my list around 4 or 5 . There is now way he will be there at 13

I doubt schatenberg will be still around by our 3rd rounder. I hope we pick him with 13 - sounds exactly like the sort of player we need.

If we don't take him with 13 port will grab him with one of their top 30 picks.
He's about the 35th best player in the draft and more of what we've got

We won't be taking an SA kid at 13 unless it's Hayward ( which is also a long shot but at least a shot )

He's about the 35th best player in the draft and more of what we've got

We won't be taking an SA kid at 13 unless it's Hayward ( which is also a long shot but at least a shot )

Medium forward - no thanks - we need genuine midfielders.

Where did Doedee rate in his draft year?

and we will get a Vic metro WA and Vic country one - as they are the best mids in this draft outside of academy ones

It's not the year for SA mids at 13 . 43 will be a chance for sharenberg or Graham

Massive fan of poholke at 43 if he was to be there

Where did Doedee rate in his draft year?
I think a lot of mock drafts had him in the late second round at best, but admittedly they didn't know a lot about him and I believe Ogilvie had been tracking him for a few years and was trying to convince him to come over as a Cat B rookie instead of playing for the Geelong Falcons in the TAC Cup his draft year.

I hope we pick someone really s**t. We haven't had a first round pick to turn on since Sellar a decade ago.

Amazing to think he's still only 27.
The year Goldstein went at 37, David Mackay at 48 and Robbie Gray at 55...

Still, we got Gibbs' best mate, was sure to be a help with the come-home factor

I hope we pick someone really s**t. We haven't had a first round pick to turn on since Sellar a decade ago.

Amazing to think he's still only 27.
From the AFL's 2006 mock draft (otherwise known as "there is no sure thing"):

6 - HAWTHORN - JAMES SELLAR

Glenelg, 24 March 1989, 195cm, 90.1kg

Seriously considered a number one draft selection throughout the past year, Sellar will be snapped up by the Hawks, if Gibbs, Gumbleton, Hansen, Selwood and Leuenberger provide the nucleus of the 'top five' picks. And Hawthorn will be delighted if it can land Sellar with its opening selection, should that scenario pan out. But if Sellar is snapped up with Port Adelaide's first pick - just one before the Hawks - expect Leuenberger to be in Hawthorn's mix, while Thorp, Selwood and Boak are also part of the brown and gold's thinking. Interestingly, should the Hawks select an alternate to Sellar, there is some chance that the South Australian could slip as far as No.14, with the way the cards are falling. If that occurs, there will be no doubt Adelaide will pounce on the local lad with its first choice.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2006-11-23/phantom-draft-vii-2006-phantom-afl-draft

EDIT: The Hawks ended up passing on Sellar and took .... Mitchell Thorp. He played 2 games.

Last edited:
I think a lot of mock drafts had him in the late second round at best, but admittedly they didn't know a lot about him and I believe Ogilvie had been tracking him for a few years and was trying to convince him to come over as a Cat B rookie instead of playing for the Geelong Falcons in the TAC Cup his draft year.
Didn't know that. Interesting. Has that been reported?

Seriously considered a number one draft selection throughout the past year, Sellar will be snapped up by the Hawks, if Gibbs, Gumbleton, Hansen, Selwood and Leuenberger provide the nucleus of the 'top five' picks. And Hawthorn will be delighted if it can land Sellar with its opening selection, should that scenario pan out. But if Sellar is snapped up with Port Adelaide's first pick - just one before the Hawks - expect Leuenberger to be in Hawthorn's mix, while Thorp, Selwood and Boak are also part of the brown and gold's thinking. Interestingly, should the Hawks select an alternate to Sellar, there is some chance that the South Australian could slip as far as No.14, with the way the cards are falling. If that occurs, there will be no doubt Adelaide will pounce on the local lad with its first choice.

EDIT: The Hawks ended up passing on Sellar and took .... Mitchell Thorp. He played 2 games.
And passed on Selwood.
And still won 4 flags.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are such a sneaky football club.

Looking back at old Phantom Drafts is always so interesting.

AFL Media had us taking Shane Edwards (14), Paul Stewart (32), Tim Houlihan (48) and Sam Jacobs (64)

We actually took James Sellar (14), Kurt Tippett (32), David Mackay (48) and Nick Gill (64)

I probably agree with a few of the others, in that this is probably an aspect I'd be most comfortable to see us fixing in a player.

Get these types into an elite training environment and with some natural maturity, the numbers will come. Attitude would be the only thing, and judging by his contested ball work, I'd suggest this isn't a major issue, for mine it's usually the pure outside types that struggle with this, but then hey, we managed to even push Mackay up to an avg of 20 touches a game this year...:rolleyes:;)

As mentioned earlier, an inside/outside type is what we're really in need of and when we're picking at 13, chances are there's going to be a deficit of some variety, it's about finding the one that matters least. For mine, amongst a few others, it's ball finding ability.

Word is we've realised our mistake, and he's been told to reel it back in next season. 16 max.

F...k me drunk why don't we just enter a side in the NBL and be done with it

Ogilvie does have a good track record but I'm not sure we should be drafting a smokey with our first again.

I've seen a few draft ratings that placed this Lipinski dude around the 40-50 range. Maybe a pick 43 chance?

Back