Player Watch Mid-Season Pick #13 (2021) - Jed McEntee

I have yet to see a poor highlights reel. At least he is a 20 year old who could improve rather than a 28 year old whose best is behind him. So welcome to Alberton and good luck Jed.

The other good part of this is it will probably piss Sturt off. When we meet them at Alberton this lad should be playing for us not against us. Unless of course the SANFL pull a rule out of their arse.
Have a look at Robbie (Robert) Grays U18 highlight reel. Not very impressive at all. Turned out pretty well though. Always take them with a grain of salt

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Good luck to the lad, hope he burns it up for the Magpies, but I will be disappointed if he plays in the A grade this year.

For him to get a game it means a shitload of injuries will have to happen and/or poor form to probably 4 of 5 of
Gray, Fantasia, Motlop, Rozee, Butters, Farrell, Woodcock, Williams, Schofield, Burgoyne.

We will also see SPP, Boak, and probably Houston resting at HF at times during the rest of the year.

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Wow what the hell. We play North 3x, but Sturt only once. That's extremely random. Surely that's a mistake.
Yeah I think it is, I should've checked before I posted. Fixture on the PAFC website has us playing Sturt in the second to last game. SANFL website fixture has Sturt v Eagles two weeks in a row at the end of the minor round. Semi-pro's.

Bit of Michael Wilson in those highlights. Kamikaze attack on the body and ball. Plenty of run as well.

All the best at the best football club in Australia Jed.

His ability to stay on his feet and go again after instigating hard contact is impressive.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Good luck to the lad, hope he burns it up for the Magpies, but I will be disappointed if he plays in the A grade this year.

For him to get a game it means a shitload of injuries will have to happen and/or poor form to probably 4 of 5 of
Gray, Fantasia, Motlop, Rozee, Butters, Farrell, Woodcock, Williams, Schofield, Burgoyne.

We will also see SPP, Boak, and probably Houston resting at HF at times during the rest of the year.
True, but it also could just mean that the lad is damned good!

I have this feeling looking at his speed, love of contest, prolific tackling, and ability to keep his feet and get to the next play, that he is going to transition well to AFL once he gains full-time-player fitness.

Will be interesting to see how he progresses. I am certainly more excited about us picking him in the mid-season draft than when we picked Sutcliffe.

"How do you feel about going up to play with the big dogs and possibly having to take the field with superstar Texan Taylor Walker?"

"... whose poster you probably still have up on your bedroom wall" :p

Mar 10, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

You would hope we did not pick up a 176cm as a long term project, and he will be ready to go. But we do like 176cm project players.

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
I'm still a bit surprised at the decision making around taking Jed. However he's definitely got an element there we need. We are crying out for more players with high reflex/off the mark speed, as we lack them massively. Hopefully he can become a bit of a surprise packet and develop nicely, but it is near impossible to see him playing AFL this year. Hopefully he does make the Magpies that bit stronger though as I am certainly happy for us to f@#$ the SANFL and plunder other clubs mid year to boost our Maggies.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
His ability to stay on his feet and go again after instigating hard contact is impressive.

Especially in modern AFL footy where it's all about repeat physical pressure. With his speed as well he could be a great option as a pressure player who can hopefully add value as a clearance mid as well.

Especially in modern AFL footy where it's all about repeat physical pressure. With his speed as well he could be a great option as a pressure player who can hopefully add value as a clearance mid as well.

Absolutely. I liked the piece of footage later in the montage where he anticipated a teammate winning the footy and peeled off the contest at speed and received it a good metre or two ahead of his opponent too.

So many things you just can’t teach, but with the physical weapons to translate to the highest level that so many top SANFL-tier guys lack.

I have yet to see a poor highlights reel.......
I saw the video Ch 7 put together of Cale Hooker's highlight package for his 200th, and they put the footage of Buddy leaving Hooker in his wake at the MCG and Buddy bouncing 3 times along the left hand boundary and slotting the 2nd of those 2 almost identical goals, he did that night, 5 minutes apart in the last quarter. Apparently Hooker wasn't happy.

I saw the video Ch 7 put together of Cale Hooker's highlight package for his 200th, and they put the footage of Buddy leaving Hooker in his wake at the MCG and Buddy bouncing 3 times along the left hand boundary and slotting the 2nd of those 2 almost identical goals, he did that night, 5 minutes apart in the last quarter. Apparently Hooker wasn't happy.

We Are Essington did an incredible recap of that.

***(NSFW — language)***

***(NSFW — language)***

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Im having Neade nightmares all over again

I don't think the Neade comparison stacks up. Neade was significantly smaller than McEntee, who is more your Sam Gray size. McEntee is also a clearance winning inside mid. I know SANFL is a different level but McEntee is averaging 4+ clearances a game at SANFL level. Neade was never anything approaching an inside player.

May 31, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Good luck for yr footy dream, but imo the role is a dam hard one. The players yu are expected to chase, harass and impede their progress are going to be bigger, stronger with things like extended hands, knees etc to be part of the deal. Satisfaction perhaps bringing them down, but hard to avoid bruises, hurts because that is the role. Just think of jake neade and what was sort of expected of him.

x_les_x

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Its already started..

SmartSelect_20210603-161015_Facebook.jpg

Hopefully our McEntree can be our Dessert instead. I thought KFC was our sponsor :drunk:

Back