Player Watch Pick #14 (2019) - Miles Bergman

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure what Young being a top 10 pick has to do with anything. Bergman was pick 14 after all.

Young gets the nod because he has better ball use - 91% DE compared to Bergmans 71%.
Clutching, DE for a loose half back is different to a guy who plays in the contest more like Bergman.

Miles has had a tremendous year, would be close to top 5 in the overall, it's a travesty he hasn't been selected yet. Absolutely he's been robbed.

Ultimately it's a rising star nom which doesn't mean much, bigger fish to fry, but in general anytime we can call out the VFL I recommend taking, you give them an inch and they'll take a mile so prefer not to take a step back on any issue these days.

Clutching, DE for a loose half back is different to a guy who plays in the contest more like Bergman.

Miles has had a tremendous year, would be close to top 5 in the overall, it's a travesty he hasn't been selected yet. Absolutely he's been robbed.

Ultimately it's a rising star nom which doesn't mean much, bigger fish to fry, but in general anytime we can call out the VFL I recommend taking, you give them an inch and they'll take a mile so prefer not to take a step back on any issue these days.
Not sure we can blame the 'VFL' for the nomination of a Fremantle player ...

Young’s ability to execute really difficult kicks into a contest corridor late in the game was a big part of why Fremantle won.

His kicking is top 1% stuff.

Not sure we can blame the 'VFL' for the nomination of a Fremantle player ...
And I never said we can.

But playing nice and being the good guys hasn't helped us so far, we get rebuffed or ignored on major issues continually.

Young’s ability to execute really difficult kicks into a contest corridor late in the game was a big part of why Fremantle won.

His kicking is top 1% stuff.
Fair point, I would accept this more than just a DE comparison.

But still Bergman has every right to feel dudded, Lachlan Sholl was BOG in Round 17 last year and got overlooked for the body of work argument, as far as I'm aware this still applies. But inconsistent rule interpretation has never been a strong point for this comp.

Bergman? Sandringham. Young? Dandenong. Both as 'VFL' as the other, but I do love the tinfoil conspiracy theory!

I think Bergman is a beauty by the way, you have another talented kid there!
lol there is no conspiracy mate, Lewis Taylor's win over Bontempelli in 2014 should have put paid to that once and for all.

Indeed he's a gem :thumbsu: A couple raised eyebrows when he was picked above Kemp and Robertson here, but ultimately we should know not to question our recruiters' judgement.

Georgiades got all the kudos last year, Bergman showing us why we rated him so highly, now for Dylan Williams to get in shape and complete the set.

Surely Bergman gets the rising star nom this week?

Rioli had 6 touches and a goal, but he’s a Rioli. So wouldn’t be surprised if he got the nomination this week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rioli had 6 touches and a goal, but he’s a Rioli. So wouldn’t be surprised if he got the nomination this week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Riolis goal was good but he did get gifted a couple of those possessions. It should not be a rising star nomination even for a Rioli.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bergman - 23 disposals (11 contested), 2 marks, 4 tackles, 4 inside 50s, 4 clearances, 7 intercepts, 2 score involvements

If he isn’t Rising Star, we ******* riot.

Bergman - 23 disposals (11 contested), 2 marks, 4 tackles, 4 inside 50s, 4 clearances, 7 intercepts, 2 score involvements

If he isn’t Rising Star, we ******* riot.
Six costly turnovers and a partridge in a pear tree. I'm a just having a joke, but his disposal was pretty bad.

Six costly turnovers and a partridge in a pear tree. I'm a just having a joke, but his disposal was pretty bad.
Season has got longer, legs heavier, the most intense game we have played since Richmond? He will be better for it

Never falls over, uses his body so well in the contest for a kid. A real asset and with his aerial mobility and running gas a set of strengths we don't have a lot of coming through. Fantastic get.

I've been carrying on that we moved back 2 spots and missed Pickett but looks like we knew what we were doing again.

There were plenty of people on here at the time worried that we would pick Pickett.

I’m surprised at how strong he is through the core. His ability to stand up while being tackled is impressive and will hold him in good stead when he inevitably moves into the midfield. Needs to stop hack kicking it forward though but that will come as he matures. Will be a star sooner rather than later me thinks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back