Prediction Pick 14/Draft Night Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Nope. Because he fills a need - much like JC and Freeman - AND looks like a beast of a player - much like JC and Freeman.

Plus he's rated very highly by the Club. Ticks my boxes.
What need does he fill? I know the typical "we sucked in clearances" but dunstan and ross didnt play for half the year and dunstan in particular was the sub regularly. Matho does not fill a need. What we NEED is talented kicking, outside speed and some class of which Mathieson offers none. Any of Hibberd, Gresham, Balic, Tucker and Ah Chee would be better than Matho; and they would fill a need.

What need does he fill? I know the typical "we sucked in clearances" but dunstan and ross didnt play for half the year and dunstan in particular was the sub regularly. Matho does not fill a need. What we NEED is talented kicking, outside speed and some class of which Mathieson offers none. Any of Hibberd, Gresham, Balic, Tucker and Ah Chee would be better than Matho; and they would fill a need.

It's a little bit chicken and egg.

Do we need to win more clearances to feed more outside ball to the likes of Webster, Savage and Billings or do we need more outside class to grow with our junior 'inside' options in Dunstan and Ross? We do need more spread and better skills, but can our lack of skills be attributed to our "outside" players having to go win their own ball more often because our "inside" players weren't getting the job done?

Do we need to win more clearances to feed more outside ball to the likes of Webster, Savage and Billings or do we need more outside class to grow with our junior 'inside' options in Dunstan and Ross? We do need more spread and better skills, but can our lack of skills be attributed to our "outside" players having to go win their own ball more often because our "inside" players weren't getting the job done?
I see where you're going. And while I agree to an extent I think the impact of a greatly reduced output from ross and dunstan has been really underestimated. Dunstan was one of our best mids in his first year. Many people me included have a short memory but when he is fit and firing Dunstan is about as good an inside mid as the club needs.

I see where you're going. And while I agree to an extent I think the impact of a greatly reduced output from ross and dunstan has been really underestimated. Dunstan was one of our best mids in his first year. Many people me included have a short memory but when he is fit and firing Dunstan is about as good an inside mid as the club needs.

He didn't have a great year. His numbers were well down. He also tried to push forward, but just didn't look as fit as his first year.

He didn't have a great year. His numbers were well down. He also tried to push forward, but just didn't look as fit as his first year.
That's the point. He had injury issues throughout the whole year which resulted in greatly reduced output.

Great post and I have thought exactly the same thing. Is it chicken or egg? I dont know. If we win more clearances will that get more clear ball in the hands of Savage, Webster, McKenzie, Freeman? Or do we back in Dunstan, Acres and Ross to improve their clearance work and focus on getting more polish outside?

What worries me about Mathieson is he is bog slow, has absolutely no endurance and his kicking is average. He might be 'tough' but you need more than that to make it in the AFL.

Last edited:
Great post and I have thought exactly the same thing. Is it chicken or egg? I dont know. If we win more clearances will that get more clear ball in the hands of Savage, Webster, McKenzie, Freeman? Or do we back in Dunstan, Acres and Ross to improve their clearance work and focus on getting more polish outside?

What worries me about Mathieson is he is bog slow, has absolutely no endurance and his kicking his average. He might be 'tough' but you need more than that to make it in the AFL.

Geelong used to lose more clearances than they won but it didn't hold them back because they would use and distribute well through their runners. I would rather a fleet of fast outsiders streaming forward and back Ross, Stevn, Armo and Dustan to get enough ball out of the middle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What worries me about Mathieson is he is bog slow, has absolutely no endurance and his kicking his average. He might be 'tough' but you need more than that to make it in the AFL.
Bog slow? Sure about that?

Herald Sun is reporting that we will pick the best available even if it is a kpp.

Herald Sun is reporting that we will pick the best available even if it is a kpp.

Yeah, Ive heard more than a few people (nobody in the club mind you) say they think we will look at the McKay twins with our pick.

Maybe the whispers are true and Goddard is seen as a potential CHF? With McCartin at FF and Bruce as the third tall/ruck? BJ said on MMM during the year that Hugh was better forward than back and that he would end up a KPF long term...

Who from the club says we are linked to Matheson? I don't buy that the club give that stuff away unless you are in the first couple of picks. I also don't buy you draft the best available when they are only about the 18th best available anyway. Its nearly a lottery at that pick. We need to draft for the future but we don't need KPP or ruckmen unless we think the ones we have will fail. Surely that isn't how the club is thinking. We need mids and than more mids and if we get 2 mids than get another mid. Get the best available mid.

He's a good bloke but.

Yeah I'm starting to lean away from Matho, you can dig up contested bulls with a good personality, average disposal and mediocre athleticism in the back ends of the rookie draft, perhaps with not quite the junior career credentials Rhys has. He gets compared to Lenny a lot, but that is drawing a ridiculous ultra long bow.

Praying for a slider to spice things up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back