Player Watch Pick #14 (2019) - Miles Bergman

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey, Butters- remember yesterday when you asked "how often does that third tall end up being a Fyfe". That was in the context of discussing whether Bergman was only a forward or had midfield potential. Have a look at the Bergman highlights on portadelaidefc.com.au and go to the one minute mark. There’s a center clearance Fyfe would be proud of. We may have scored a gem.

Hey, Butters- remember yesterday when you asked "how often does that third tall end up being a Fyfe". That was in the context of discussing whether Bergman was only a forward or had midfield potential. Have a look at the Bergman highlights on portadelaidefc.com.au and go to the one minute mark. There’s a center clearance Fyfe would be proud of. We may have scored a gem.
I can wait.

I remember seeing Andrew Moore do this several times a game playing in the Sanfl.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is bizarre reasoning. It’s plainly not true.

His lower possessions had nothing to do with supposedly not playing with his teammates for 2 years. I can’t even comprehend how you came to make that statement.

I've shifted this to the appropriate thread.

I wasn’t super confident (before this year), especially after last year being a bottom-ager and being pretty quiet,” he said.

And then at the start of this year I was sort of similar, pretty low confidence, I was surprised I was in the Vic Metro squad and all that.

After the first couple of Metro games I was like ‘I’m doing alright, I’m here for a reason’ and started to get more confident.

Last year I just wanted to make everyone happy - please the coaches, please the top-agers and try to not get in their way because it was their year.

“This year the confidence came and it helped me improve my footy.”

Dragons coach Josh Bourke has had the luxury of using Bergman in a variety of positions this season and is excited by the rapid improvement in what he describes as a “very, very gifted athlete”.

“It’s about self-belief with Miles. I think playing a few good games probably proved to himself that he not only can play at the level but he’s a very good player at the level,” Bourke said.

“He’s got some wonderful attributes, so the more he realises that he can really do some damage and back himself, the better player he’s going to be. His improvement’s been rapid.

“His ability to jump up and take a pack mark, run away from opponents … he’s got some wonderful athletic attributes and he’s starting to learn how to use them.”

Confidence comes from feeling like you belong on the field, and that comes from playing games and having your teammates feed you the ball and make you feel a part of the team if you're down on yourself (like how the boys fed Farrell goals that they could have kicked against Fremantle). If there were players in the team last year that made him feel like he was getting in their way because it was 'their' year, then that's exactly what I'm talking about. Fancy making anyone feel like that. And people wonder why he performed poorly at the start of the season.

Bergman this year:

vs Calder Cannons - 16 disposals, 4 marks, 3 tackles, 1 clearance, 2 inside 50s
vs Northern Knights - 12 disposals, 4 marks, 6 tackles, 1 clearance, 3 inside 50s, 1 rebound 50
vs Oakleigh Chargers - 9 disposals, 2 tackles, 4 inside 50s
vs Lions Academy - 17 disposals, 8 marks, 1 tackle, 1 clearance, 3 inside 50s
vs Eastern Ranges - 18 disposals, 5 marks, 2 tackles, 4 inside 50s
vs Bendigo Pioneers - 19 disposals, 5 marks, 9 tackles, 4 clearances, 6 inside 50s, 1 goal

Averaged 15.1 disposals, 4.3 marks, 3.9 tackles, 1.2 clearances, 3.7 inside 50s per game. This is him with low confidence.

vs Vic Country - 16 disposals, 4 marks, 3 tackles, 1 inside 50, 1 rebound 50
vs Western Australia - 12 disposals, 5 marks, 4 tackles, 3 inside 50s, 5 rebound 50s
vs South Australia - 14 disposals, 7 marks, 3 tackles, 1 clearance, 1 inside 50, 4 rebound 50s
vs Allies - 11 disposals, 5 marks, 5 tackles, 1 clearance, 3 inside 50s, 1 rebound 50, 1 goal

And then he started hitting some form after he played for Metro (where he says he started to get more confident)...

vs Dandenong Stingrays - 15 disposals, 8 marks, 6 tackles, 1 clearance, 2 inside 50s, 1 rebound 50, 1 goal
vs Tasmania Devils - 19 disposals, 8 marks, 4 tackles, 5 clearances, 3 inside 50s, 1 rebound 50, 1 goal
vs Oakleigh Chargers - 13 disposals, 4 marks, 6 tackles, 2 clearances, 7 inside 50s, 1 rebound 50, 1 goal
vs Geelong Falcons - 18 disposals, 8 marks, 4 tackles, 1 clearance, 5 inside 50s, 1 rebound 50, 4 goals
vs Eastern Ranges - 13 disposals, 7 marks, 5 tackles, 1 clearance, 3 inside 50s, 1 rebound 50, 2 goals
vs Calder Cannons - 4 disposals, 4 marks, 2 tackles (not sure what happened here)
vs Oakleigh Chargers - 14 disposals, 5 marks, 5 tackles, 6 inside 50s, 1 rebound 50, 1 goal

13.7 disposals, 6.3 marks, 4.6 tackles, 1.4 clearances, 3.7 inside 50s, 0.8 rebound 50s, 1.42 goals. But if you remove that outlier performance against the Calder Cannons, it's 15.3 disposals, 6.7 marks, 5 tackles, 1.5 clearances, 4.3 inside 50s, 1 rebound 50, 1.7 goals.

That's a career, man. In any league. Imagine what he's going to do surrounded by guys like Rozee, Duursma, Butters, Boak, Gray, Dixon etc and isn't suffering from shin splints. This guy has the greatest upside out of any player in the draft apart from maybe Will Day. Feed him the ball and he'll flourish.

Those stats mostly tell me he doesn’t get enough footy. He needs to increase that output a lot.
Farrell is in the same boat... i like the look of him though!

I've shifted this to the appropriate thread.

I wasn’t super confident (before this year), especially after last year being a bottom-ager and being pretty quiet,” he said.

And then at the start of this year I was sort of similar, pretty low confidence, I was surprised I was in the Vic Metro squad and all that.

After the first couple of Metro games I was like ‘I’m doing alright, I’m here for a reason’ and started to get more confident.

Last year I just wanted to make everyone happy - please the coaches, please the top-agers and try to not get in their way because it was their year.

“This year the confidence came and it helped me improve my footy.”

Dragons coach Josh Bourke has had the luxury of using Bergman in a variety of positions this season and is excited by the rapid improvement in what he describes as a “very, very gifted athlete”.

“It’s about self-belief with Miles. I think playing a few good games probably proved to himself that he not only can play at the level but he’s a very good player at the level,” Bourke said.

“He’s got some wonderful attributes, so the more he realises that he can really do some damage and back himself, the better player he’s going to be. His improvement’s been rapid.

“His ability to jump up and take a pack mark, run away from opponents … he’s got some wonderful athletic attributes and he’s starting to learn how to use them.”

Confidence comes from feeling like you belong on the field, and that comes from playing games and having your teammates feed you the ball and make you feel a part of the team if you're down on yourself (like how the boys fed Farrell goals that they could have kicked against Fremantle). If there were players in the team last year that made him feel like he was getting in their way because it was 'their' year, then that's exactly what I'm talking about. Fancy making anyone feel like that. And people wonder why he performed poorly at the start of the season.

Bergman this year:

vs Calder Cannons - 16 disposals, 4 marks, 3 tackles, 1 clearance, 2 inside 50s
vs Northern Knights - 12 disposals, 4 marks, 6 tackles, 1 clearance, 3 inside 50s, 1 rebound 50
vs Oakleigh Chargers - 9 disposals, 2 tackles, 4 inside 50s
vs Lions Academy - 17 disposals, 8 marks, 1 tackle, 1 clearance, 3 inside 50s
vs Eastern Ranges - 18 disposals, 5 marks, 2 tackles, 4 inside 50s
vs Bendigo Pioneers - 19 disposals, 5 marks, 9 tackles, 4 clearances, 6 inside 50s, 1 goal

Averaged 15.1 disposals, 4.3 marks, 3.9 tackles, 1.2 clearances, 3.7 inside 50s per game. This is him with low confidence.

vs Vic Country - 16 disposals, 4 marks, 3 tackles, 1 inside 50, 1 rebound 50
vs Western Australia - 12 disposals, 5 marks, 4 tackles, 3 inside 50s, 5 rebound 50s
vs South Australia - 14 disposals, 7 marks, 3 tackles, 1 clearance, 1 inside 50, 4 rebound 50s
vs Allies - 11 disposals, 5 marks, 5 tackles, 1 clearance, 3 inside 50s, 1 rebound 50, 1 goal

And then he started hitting some form after he played for Metro (where he says he started to get more confident)...

vs Dandenong Stingrays - 15 disposals, 8 marks, 6 tackles, 1 clearance, 2 inside 50s, 1 rebound 50, 1 goal
vs Tasmania Devils - 19 disposals, 8 marks, 4 tackles, 5 clearances, 3 inside 50s, 1 rebound 50, 1 goal
vs Oakleigh Chargers - 13 disposals, 4 marks, 6 tackles, 2 clearances, 7 inside 50s, 1 rebound 50, 1 goal
vs Geelong Falcons - 18 disposals, 8 marks, 4 tackles, 1 clearance, 5 inside 50s, 1 rebound 50, 4 goals
vs Eastern Ranges - 13 disposals, 7 marks, 5 tackles, 1 clearance, 3 inside 50s, 1 rebound 50, 2 goals
vs Calder Cannons - 4 disposals, 4 marks, 2 tackles (not sure what happened here)
vs Oakleigh Chargers - 14 disposals, 5 marks, 5 tackles, 6 inside 50s, 1 rebound 50, 1 goal

13.7 disposals, 6.3 marks, 4.6 tackles, 1.4 clearances, 3.7 inside 50s, 0.8 rebound 50s, 1.42 goals. But if you remove that outlier performance against the Calder Cannons, it's 15.3 disposals, 6.7 marks, 5 tackles, 1.5 clearances, 4.3 inside 50s, 1 rebound 50, 1.7 goals.

That's a career, man. In any league. Imagine what he's going to do surrounded by guys like Rozee, Duursma, Butters, Boak, Gray, Dixon etc and isn't suffering from shin splints. This guy has the greatest upside out of any player in the draft apart from maybe Will Day. Feed him the ball and he'll flourish.
So we drafted a confidence player to be coached by Ken Hinkley who will blame the players for losses when statistics have shown their effort is not really the problem?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back