Player Watch Pick #14 (2019) - Miles Bergman

Remove this Banner Ad

with butters, bergman, duursma, rozee, georgie, ladhams, SPP, woodock, dixon, marshall etc all being able to play or rotate up forward.......Robbie Gray, will need to have another stellar year to maintain his position

Plus Williams....however never underestimate a Champion...

yep......love Gray

but geez no one can be complacent with that depth and talent coming through.

I also missed Motlop and his spot would be under greater pressure than Gray's at the moment

yep......love Gray

but geez no one can be complacent with that depth and talent coming through.

I also missed Motlop and his spot would be under greater pressure than Gray's at the moment
I wouldn’t even think about starting Motlop r1 what’s the point of playing a downhill skier when we could be developing a Dylan Williams without really losing much.

with butters, bergman, duursma, rozee, georgie, ladhams, SPP, woodock, dixon, marshall etc all being able to play or rotate up forward.......Robbie Gray, will need to have another stellar year to maintain his position
More than half that group have done sfa compared to Gray’s output last year.

More than half that group have done sfa compared to Gray’s output last year.

I love boak, gray and westhoff......and add rocky into the list but without the love

One of these guys has already dropped off the perch, I'm assuming rocky is done in 2021 and gray will either fade this year or next. Time gets the better of all of us.

Obviously I want Gray to hold the premiership cup above his head before he steps away though.

I love boak, gray and westhoff......and add rocky into the list but without the love

One of these guys has already dropped off the perch, I'm assuming rocky is done in 2021 and gray will either fade this year or next. Time gets the better of all of us.

Obviously I want Gray to hold the premiership cup above his head before he steps away though.

I’m confident that this is Robbies, Motlop and Rockliff’s last year.

The bright side of this is with people like Watts, hoff, Robbie ,Rockliff, Ebert and Motlop retiring, that frees up a lot of cap room, too what was already reportedly a “war chest” . We should be hunting down players like Merret and Lukosius in the trade period and free agency this year.

I’m confident that this is Robbies, Motlop and Rockliff’s last year.

The bright side of this is with people like Watts, hoff, Robbie ,Rockliff, Ebert and Motlop retiring, that frees up a lot of cap room, too what was already reportedly a “war chest” . We should be hunting down players like Merret and Lukosius in the trade period and free agency this year.

Ralph spot on as usual 🤦

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure you could fairly say most of these players are a reasonable replacement for Gray. Yeah butters and rozee are good small forwards with excellent skills who can rotate through the midfield.
  • Bergman, Woodcock and Farrell will have to prove themselves in the SANFL before getting games I believe, particularly after not being able to play in many reserves games last season. Farrell goes missing to often in games and I am not sure this part of his game will be corrected this season.
  • I've made my feelings clear on Georgie. He should be playing as a marking 2nd or 3rd tall ala Darling. However if not, it looks like they will persist with trying to make him a high half forward. Neither Marshall or he can rotate through the midfield with a bee's dick of the impact of Robbie. Certainly not this year.
  • SPP is more of a defensive forward who is more likely to replace someone like Rocky in the midfield rotation. Who do you really want distributing the ball out of a clearance, Gray or SPP?
  • Dixon Marshall and Ladhams are all tall forwards, not midfielders. I'm not sure we have to play two rucks with Allir and Dixon able to take minutes in the ruck. I think its possible Lycett, Ladhams and Hayes might all end up vying for a single ruck spot unless Ladhams or Hayes can prove they can legitimately hold down a tall forward spot
  • You forgot Williams and Fantasia. As small deep forwards Fantasia in particular will put pressure on Gray this season. However neither has his impact as a midfielder. There is no guarantee that Fantasia will be fit for the entire season given his injury history.
  • Duursma should be playing the majority of his game on the right wing where he excels. He will kick goals as a player who travels just about as much ground as anyone in the team, but I don't want to see him wasting his youth and endurance as a deep forward.
I take your point though. Gray will likely need to be managed more and spend more time on the bench. In 2022 if Gray decides to play on I can see that he might not be a walk up start for games. Robbie is slowing down and didn't kick as many goals in the past two seasons. I think he and some other older players will be tested by the return of the game to full 20 minute quarters. And, yes, we are building a formidable small forward line of considerable depth with some of those players being able to rotate through the midfield.

However remembering that Gray had a broken toe gearing up for and for the first several games of the season, he was still a valuable contributor. He is still one of the top distributors by hand or foot that we have and has the experience and brains to realise that he is best utilised by passing the ball off to younger, pacier players who can find space to kick for goal or run with the ball. He and Butters are the two players who, with ball in hand, you can almost guarantee something good will happen for Port. I would take issue with anyone who says that Gray's experience isn't an asset compared to many of the young players you have mentioned. He will adapt his style of play in a manner to still make him a valuable and consistent contributor.

What the heck!

wvaTwBcC.jpg

1612444395574.png

I'm not sure you could fairly say most of these players are a reasonable replacement for Gray. Yeah butters and rozee are good small forwards with excellent skills who can rotate through the midfield.
  • Bergman, Woodcock and Farrell will have to prove themselves in the SANFL before getting games I believe, particularly after not being able to play in many reserves games last season. Farrell goes missing to often in games and I am not sure this part of his game will be corrected this season.
  • I've made my feelings clear on Georgie. He should be playing as a marking 2nd or 3rd tall ala Darling. However if not, it looks like they will persist with trying to make him a high half forward. Neither Marshall or he can rotate through the midfield with a bee's dick of the impact of Robbie. Certainly not this year.
  • SPP is more of a defensive forward who is more likely to replace someone like Rocky in the midfield rotation. Who do you really want distributing the ball out of a clearance, Gray or SPP?
  • Dixon Marshall and Ladhams are all tall forwards, not midfielders. I'm not sure we have to play two rucks with Allir and Dixon able to take minutes in the ruck. I think its possible Lycett, Ladhams and Hayes might all end up vying for a single ruck spot unless Ladhams or Hayes can prove they can legitimately hold down a tall forward spot
  • You forgot Williams and Fantasia. As small deep forwards Fantasia in particular will put pressure on Gray this season. However neither has his impact as a midfielder. There is no guarantee that Fantasia will be fit for the entire season given his injury history.
  • Duursma should be playing the majority of his game on the right wing where he excels. He will kick goals as a player who travels just about as much ground as anyone in the team, but I don't want to see him wasting his youth and endurance as a deep forward.
I take your point though. Gray will likely need to be managed more and spend more time on the bench. In 2022 if Gray decides to play on I can see that he might not be a walk up start for games. Robbie is slowing down and didn't kick as many goals in the past two seasons. I think he and some other older players will be tested by the return of the game to full 20 minute quarters. And, yes, we are building a formidable small forward line of considerable depth with some of those players being able to rotate through the midfield.

However remembering that Gray had a broken toe gearing up for and for the first several games of the season, he was still a valuable contributor. He is still one of the top distributors by hand or foot that we have and has the experience and brains to realise that he is best utilised by passing the ball off to younger, pacier players who can find space to kick for goal or run with the ball. He and Butters are the two players who, with ball in hand, you can almost guarantee something good will happen for Port. I would take issue with anyone who says that Gray's experience isn't an asset compared to many of the young players you have mentioned. He will adapt his style of play in a manner to still make him a valuable and consistent contributor.

Great analysis and well said

Despite Bergman training as a back flanker last season, our backline is so stacked, that I reckon the only way he gets a look in is via the wing or half forward.

Despite Bergman training as a back flanker last season, our backline is so stacked, that I reckon the only way he gets a look in is via the wing or half forward.
What spot is available on the wing / half forward line? Dixon, marshall, ladhams, georgiades, gray, spp, fantasia, rozee, butters, motlop, farrell, duursma, amon and mates are his competition.

Hed be ahead of mayes, farrell, motlop and maybe ladhams if we feel aliir can ruck - but that's still 10 players that will be playing time in these positions before Bergman.

He's much more likely to take Burton's role in my mind if/when he breaks down.

What spot is available on the wing / half forward line? Dixon, marshall, ladhams, georgiades, gray, spp, fantasia, rozee, butters, motlop, farrell, duursma, amon and mates are his competition.

Hed be ahead of mayes, farrell, motlop and maybe ladhams if we feel aliir can ruck - but that's still 10 players that will be playing time in these positions before Bergman.

He's much more likely to take Burton's role in my mind if/when he breaks down.
If he's on the wing, he's competing with Amon and Duursma. Key forwards/small forwards are irrelevant, he won't be deep forward.

I feel he would be a perfect goal scoring wingman maybe X can move into the midfield at some stage ? I can definitely see X playing more mid when boaky retires.
I'm really excited about Bergman reminded me of rozee in his initial highlights packages.

Bergman faced an uphill battle to break into the team last season, with a limited amount of practice matches his only opportunity to prove himself in his new role.

He worked particularly closely with vice-captain Hamish Hartlett to hone his defensive craft and was able to use his run-and-carry and kicking ability to break the lines in practice games. Bergman said the move shaped as his best chance to break into the team this year, given the abundance of midfielder/forwards at Port Adelaide.

"They wanted that run and carry off half-back and thought I could learn and provide that," he said. "I played a little bit of backline, but I haven't played for a while. (I thought) it sounds like a good idea so I'm ready to take anything onboard.

"We have a lot of forwards at the moment and they thought it was a good idea to move some players around and it might be the best opportunity for the team and then my chance to get a game.

Bergman faced an uphill battle to break into the team last season, with a limited amount of practice matches his only opportunity to prove himself in his new role.

He worked particularly closely with vice-captain Hamish Hartlett to hone his defensive craft and was able to use his run-and-carry and kicking ability to break the lines in practice games. Bergman said the move shaped as his best chance to break into the team this year, given the abundance of midfielder/forwards at Port Adelaide.

"They wanted that run and carry off half-back and thought I could learn and provide that," he said. "I played a little bit of backline, but I haven't played for a while. (I thought) it sounds like a good idea so I'm ready to take anything onboard.

"We have a lot of forwards at the moment and they thought it was a good idea to move some players around and it might be the best opportunity for the team and then my chance to get a game.

Looking at the wing too...

Bergman focused on adding strength to his 183cm frame over the off-season and did plenty of interval running to build his fitness but manage the loads on his shins, which have troubled him in the past.

The commerce student returned to the club this year slightly lighter but certainly stronger, and coach Ken Hinkley has spoken to him about the potential to play on a wing if selected at AFL level.

"We've had a couple of good chats to help me improve and what I need to get better at to get to that next level," he said.

"We've spoken about some of my contest stuff, possibly moving to a bit more wing time, so being strong over the ball, and then just working on some decisions, like when to take the game on and when to slow it down.

"Just being confident in myself really to back myself in and more communication with the team.

"We've been working on that this pre-season and it's going well."

Looking at the wing too...

Bergman focused on adding strength to his 183cm frame over the off-season and did plenty of interval running to build his fitness but manage the loads on his shins, which have troubled him in the past.

The commerce student returned to the club this year slightly lighter but certainly stronger, and coach Ken Hinkley has spoken to him about the potential to play on a wing if selected at AFL level.

"We've had a couple of good chats to help me improve and what I need to get better at to get to that next level," he said.

"We've spoken about some of my contest stuff, possibly moving to a bit more wing time, so being strong over the ball, and then just working on some decisions, like when to take the game on and when to slow it down.

"Just being confident in myself really to back myself in and more communication with the team.

"We've been working on that this pre-season and it's going well."
Duursma to the middle and Bergman to the wing would be great at times.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back