Player Watch Pick #14 (2019) - Miles Bergman

Remove this Banner Ad

Need to develop him into a midfielder - Duursma, Amon and Bergman is some fleet of running mids.
Agreed, had small taste against centrals and looked promising , definitely an option for midfield , can you do that at AFL level however, so may have to go back to SANFL level to be developed in that role.

Getting better by the week. Loved his smart body work in the 1 v 2 he won when he got tackled high.

That long goal was Goddard like.

I want Bergman in the middle and leave him there. We need good midfielders that can kick and he is our best hope of that.
I think he started at 1 or 2 centre bounces in the last quarter, around the time of his goal. Although my attention to detail wasn’t 100% by that point of the game.

Getting better by the week. Loved his smart body work in the 1 v 2 he won when he got tackled high.

That long goal was Goddard like.

I think he started at 1 or 2 centre bounces in the last quarter, around the time of his goal. Although my attention to detail wasn’t 100% by that point of the game.
I reckon you've nailed it for comparison, I was trying to pin it last night and I just couldn't, but he is goddardesque

Last edited:
Any player who stands up in a What Happen Power game is one to keep playing. The side is littered with ‘Senior’ players who fail again and again when it counts. Pump the games into those who aren’t mentally weak, if we want to win when it matters.

I noticed a few times last night when there was a contest for a ground ball, he always managed to get his body in the perfect position to nudge out the opposition at the right moment to be able to pick it up. Very smart, not something that you usually see in a young player.

Really need to persist with him even if he has a couple of down games. Loved that got his first goal, shame it was in a s**t moment in the game and couldn't get much excitement out of it.

I noticed a few times last night when there was a contest for a ground ball, he always managed to get his body in the perfect position to nudge out the opposition at the right moment to be able to pick it up. Very smart, not something that you usually see in a young player.

Really need to persist with him even if he has a couple of down games. Loved that got his first goal, shame it was in a sh*t moment in the game and couldn't get much excitement out of it.
Your point struck me as well. Like the old days...stay on your feet and involved rather than fall over or dive on the ball etc. Reminds me of old school. Must be played as he along with the other young boys now. His growth will be quick as he is a SMART footballer.

Really need to persist with him even if he has a couple of down games. Loved that got his first goal, shame it was in a sh*t moment in the game and couldn't get much excitement out of it.
Yeah, this really stood out last night because most of his teammates in similar situations either over ran or were pushed easily off the ball. Bergman kept his feet and position over the ball very strongly in these situations. We’re also starting to see his high marking stand out. Very nice skill set and the potential to be a uniquely powerful and influential player. Don’t think we’ve quite had anyone like him play for us before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was a really impressive aspect to his game. I've seen his run, marking, kicking since he debuted this year but that strength over the ball caught my eye too.

Therewas an instance where Charlie Cameron came in and tried to knock him off the ball, and that is one of Cameron's bread and butter moves, and he bounced off the Iceberg who then picked up the ball and cleared it.

There's a bit of Greg Anderson about him.

That was a really impressive aspect to his game. I've seen his run, marking, kicking since he debuted this year but that strength over the ball caught my eye too.

Therewas an instance where Charlie Cameron came in and tried to knock him off the ball, and that is one of Cameron's bread and butter moves, and he bounced off the Iceberg who then picked up the ball and cleared it.

There's a bit of Greg Anderson about him.
Great player comparison Ford.

Would like him to play on a wing going forward has some real weapons.

Yeah, this really stood out last night because most of his teammates in similar situations either over ran or were pushed easily off the ball. Bergman kept his feet and position over the ball very strongly in these situations. We’re also starting to see his high marking stand out. Very nice skill set and the potential to be a uniquely powerful and influential player. Don’t think we’ve quite had anyone like him play for us before.

Midfield Chad Cornes is the closest I can think of.

Midfield Chad Cornes is the closest I can think of.
The beauty is, Lachie Jones and Bergman have similar skillsets:
1) Strong and big bodied
2) Good overhead including in the contest
3) Athletic - high leaping and explosive power and acceleration
4) Long kicking

We have two of them.

Agreed. He protected the ball beautifully without getting done for dragging it in.

He did it like a seasoned pro.

Same with his overhead marking.

Imagine what he'll be like with a few more kgs.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

His body positioning in the contest has improved since the start of the season. He's still a fairly raw product. I think his best position for now is on the wing because I don't think right now that he has the requisite functional strength to body up small and medium sized forwards in defence. Early on in the year when in defence he wasn't sticking tackles, wasn't breaking tackles, and was easily getting pushed around in body contests.

He's going to make the grade. Just need to give him the necessary time for him to grow into his body.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back