Pick 14

Remove this Banner Ad

And the inevitable bigfooty meltdown because we didn't take Hill.

We're still reeling from selecting Brayshaw over LDU.

The freo big footy way is miraculously jordan clark will fall to us and we will over look him for a vic metro kid nobody has really heard of who is ranked mid 20s on all the draft boards

The freo big footy way is miraculously jordan clark will fall to us and we will over look him for a vic metro kid nobody has really heard of who is ranked mid 20s on all the draft boards

To be fair, you basically described the drafting of Jayden Pitt, Ryan Murphy and Tommy Sheridan :(

I’m going make it a bit better, since we have Fox Footy, I got a few mates coming over, plenty of beers in the fridge getting cold, go out tomorrow and buy all I need for killer hotdogs and sit back and watch the numbers fall.

And then just keep on going until the end of the draft the following day?

Not the most flashy, X factor player that would be available, and not the quickest. But has all the tools upstairs to thrive.
Looking back at what made the Hawks great in Hodge, Mitchell, and the player Valente could be Lewis, is their resolve.
If all three were tested Today on X factor would they still go 1, 7, 36? They can thank Freo for 2 of the three.

So a De Boer with a football brain then?

I’d be disappointed if we went that way at our first pick but would get over it I guess. Seems vanilla pod to me.

Alright, I'm going for it. Making my prediction a day out from the draft. Do I still reserve the right to change this tomorrow and claim I was right...?

Round 1, Pick 14

Ian Hill - 174cm, 65kg from Perth WA

I'm really not confident about this, but I think the players we rate above him will all be gone - Clark, Butters, Hately, Jones. And when it comes down to picking between the local kid or one of the next rated midfielders, we'll go the obvious selection. I don't think too much needs to be said about this selection really.

In the mix: Liam Stocker, Luke Valente, Ely Smith

Round 2, Pick 31

Tom Lewis - 180cm, 83kg from Sturt SA

One of the reasons we'll take Hill over those other players is because we'll have Tom Lewis rated alongside of them and have him earmarked for this selection. It might be slightly overs in terms of most draft rankings, but in hindsight it could prove to be a smart pick. If I could pick any player for us to draft this year, it would be Lewis. I've watched a lot of him this year, and have always rated him highly. He's the closest player to Lachie Neale you'll find and would be a perfect replacement.

In the mix: Ned McHenry, Luke Foley, Sydney Stack

Round 3, Pick 43

Matthew Parker - 187cm, 79kg from South Fremantle WAFL

With Jason Carter to come and our rookie picks already being committed to our delistings, this will be one of our last live picks in either draft. Could mean we go with someone a bit left field. I'm going with the 22 year old medium forward from the WAFL, a pick that will raise eyebrows on the phantom draft board this early but is quite highly rated in club land. Only started playing football seriously last year, so he's still relatively new despite his age. Kicked 27 goals and 21 behinds in just 20 WAFL games this year, he tested really well at the state combine and applies strong defensive pressure. I consider him a lite version of Liam Ryan, does a lot of the same stuff just not quite at Ryan's intermittent best. Should have a lot of development to come and would round out our forward line nicely.

In the mix: Fraser Turner, Damon Greaves, Dillon O'Reilly

Round 4, Pick 65

Jason Carter - 182cm, 81kg from Claremont WA

I'm assuming this pick will be going on the Academy prospect. With roughly 10-15 picks after this, I think we'll just take him rather than risk someone bidding and us being unable to match.

Rookie Draft, Pick 5

Durak Tucker - 189cm, 84kg from Peel Thunder WA

From a purely drafting and list management perspective, the retirement of Michael Apeness is good news. As we've already committed to redrafting Hughes and Nyhuis, we weren't going to have any live picks in the rookie draft - which I wasn't happy with. But now we've freed one up, and I think Tucker would be a good pick. Played one game of Colts football this year before tearing his ACL, it shows how highly rated he was that he still received an invite to the draft combine. An athletic rebounding defender with elite speed, as an underaged player last year he showed himself to be a good intercept mark. Wouldn't surprise if West Coast looked at him in the main draft with one of their later picks.

In the mix: Dillon O'Reilly, Luke English, Tobe Watson

Thanks Chris. What's the rough range for Lewis? I was hoping he is there in the 3rd round?

I recon we are a chance to go with Greaves with our 3rd pick. Sounds solid and a good fit with our current mix.

Alright, I'm going for it. Making my prediction a day out from the draft. Do I still reserve the right to change this tomorrow and claim I was right...?

Round 1, Pick 14

Ian Hill - 174cm, 65kg from Perth WA

I'm really not confident about this, but I think the players we rate above him will all be gone - Clark, Butters, Hately, Jones. And when it comes down to picking between the local kid or one of the next rated midfielders, we'll go the obvious selection. I don't think too much needs to be said about this selection really.

In the mix: Liam Stocker, Luke Valente, Ely Smith

Round 2, Pick 31

Tom Lewis - 180cm, 83kg from Sturt SA

One of the reasons we'll take Hill over those other players is because we'll have Tom Lewis rated alongside of them and have him earmarked for this selection. It might be slightly overs in terms of most draft rankings, but in hindsight it could prove to be a smart pick. If I could pick any player for us to draft this year, it would be Lewis. I've watched a lot of him this year, and have always rated him highly. He's the closest player to Lachie Neale you'll find and would be a perfect replacement.

In the mix: Ned McHenry, Luke Foley, Sydney Stack

Round 3, Pick 43

With Jason Carter to come and our rookie picks already being committed to our delistings, this will be one of our last live picks in either draft. Could mean we go with someone a bit left field. I'm going with the 22 year old medium forward from the WAFL, a pick that will raise eyebrows on the phantom draft board this early but is quite highly rated in club land. Only started playing football seriously last year, so he's still relatively new despite his age. Kicked 27 goals and 21 behinds in just 20 WAFL games this year, he tested really well at the state combine and applies strong defensive pressure. I consider him a lite version of Liam Ryan, does a lot of the same stuff just not quite at Ryan's intermittent best. Should have a lot of development to come and would round out our forward line nicely.

Round 4, Pick 65

Jason Carter - 182cm, 81kg from Claremont WA

I'm assuming this pick will be going on the Academy prospect. With roughly 10-15 picks after this, I think we'll just take him rather than risk someone bidding and us being unable to match.

Rookie Draft, Pick 5

Durak Tucker - 189cm, 84kg from Peel Thunder WA

From a purely drafting and list management perspective, the retirement of Michael Apeness is good news. As we've already committed to redrafting Hughes and Nyhuis, we weren't going to have any live picks in the rookie draft - which I wasn't happy with. But now we've freed one up, and I think Tucker would be a good pick. Played one game of Colts football this year before tearing his ACL, it shows how highly rated he was that he still received an invite to the draft combine. An athletic rebounding defender with elite speed, as an underaged player last year he showed himself to be a good intercept mark. Wouldn't surprise if West Coast looked at him in the main draft with one of their later picks.

In the mix: Dillon O'Reilly, Luke English, Tobe Watson
I think we will definitely pass at 65 if Carter hasn't been bid on yet. He will only be listed main list if he is then bid on after that.
If no bid comes he automatically becomes a Cat B rookie and you can edit your post to include an extra Cat A rookie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we will definitely pass at 65 if Carter hasn't been bid on yet. He will only be listed main list if he is then bid on after that.
If no bid comes he automatically becomes a Cat B rookie and you can edit your post to include an extra Cat A rookie.
We have to have at least 4 rookies by end of the drafts. Atm we only have 1 (Giro), so Hughes + Nyhuis + one more. Leaving a max of only 4 for the ND. If someone bids after #65 we won't have a main list spot available for him.

And then just keep on going until the end of the draft the following day?
I don’t have Foxtel so does anyone know if it is going to be shown live on AFL live which is the live game app which supports Telstra phone customers?
If not is ther3 any other way I can watch it live online?

I don’t have Foxtel so does anyone know if it is going to be shown live on AFL live which is the live game app which supports Telstra phone customers?
If not is ther3 any other way I can watch it live online?

Sure is mate, at least that’s how I’ve read it anyway

We have to have at least 4 rookies by end of the drafts. Atm we only have 1 (Giro), so Hughes + Nyhuis + one more. Leaving a max of only 4 for the ND. If someone bids after #65 we won't have a main list spot available for him.
If we pass then we have 39 main list spots filled equals 5 rookie spots plus cat B. If he is bid on between us passing and the end of the main draft we simply use that spot to match and revert to 4 rookies.

Thanks Chris. What's the rough range for Lewis? I was hoping he is there in the 3rd round?

I recon we are a chance to go with Greaves with our 3rd pick. Sounds solid and a good fit with our current mix.

Lewis could literally go anywhere from 30 to the rookie draft. He's just one I really like. And with us having limited picks, it could be that we target specific players if nobody we really rate highly falls to us.

I can't say I know all the rules, but I was under the impression that once you pass you're finished for the night. Even if a bid then came in. But who knows, the AFL changes rules as it pleases.

Round 3, Pick 43

My Mate has a bit to do with him at Sth Freo and said he is really good kid. Got his s**t together and wants to succeed. Would do well working under someone like Son Son

Round 3, Pick 43

My Mate has a bit to do with him at Sth Freo and said he is really good kid. Got his s**t together and wants to succeed. Would do well working under someone like Son Son
I’m unsure about Parker, I know he’s trying to turn himself around and there’s no doubt he’s a skilled footballer, but it’s a once bitten twice shy thing.

Lewis could literally go anywhere from 30 to the rookie draft. He's just one I really like. And with us having limited picks, it could be that we target specific players if nobody we really rate highly falls to us.

I can't say I know all the rules, but I was under the impression that once you pass you're finished for the night. Even if a bid then came in. But who knows, the AFL changes rules as it pleases.
Chris how would you compare Lewis to Crowden? seems a similar type being the shorter stocky clearance player and also being from SA.

Matthew Parker is one of the guys in the WAFL I rate. He's an overall great forward and could make an immediate impact like say Zac Langdon.

I think our 3rd or 4th pick should be a mature ager. Some names I'd put out would be Parker, Tobe Watson, Mitch Maguire, Marlion Pickett, Luke Meadows and Nick Hind.

As for our now available first rookie pick. Carter (if we think he'll get through to the rookie draft) or another mature ager I reckon. Someone like Jye Bolton who can be another strong inside mid. At a rookie pick if he became a fringe player that'd be a big success, same goes for a Mitch Grigg or Shane Nelson. Luke English or Damon Greaves would also be good if available. 2 real WA talents that might not get drafted in the ND.

Name I really wanna throw out is Corey Rich. Blokes a medium forward who had 18 goals in 7 games for the Frankston Dolphins in the VFL, a team that doesn't have the best midfield to deliver him the ball. I think he's the best mature ager left imo

Chris how would you compare Lewis to Crowden? seems a similar type being the shorter stocky clearance player and also being from SA.

I think Lewis is a more natural midfielder and the better overall prospect. Crowden relied more on his strength and athleticism, whereas Lewis has the more instinctual game. Still think there is room for both in the team with Crowden rotating through the half forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back