theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Not the most flashy, X factor player that would be available, and not the quickest. But has all the tools upstairs to thrive.
Looking back at what made the Hawks great in Hodge, Mitchell, and the player Valente could be Lewis, is their resolve.
If all three were tested Today on X factor would they still go 1, 7, 36? They can thank Freo for 2 of the three.
Plenty of clubs have passed on any player taken at pick 36.

Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hornets, Mariners, Falcons
For me

Pick 14: Ned McHenry (Victoria/Small Forward)
Around the Mark: Ian Hill, Jackson Hately, Ely Smith

Pick 31: Jack Bytel (Victoria/Midfielder)
Around the Mark: Sydney Stack/Tom Joyce/Ely Smith

Pick 43: Mitch Maguire (ACT/Small Mid) (If Stack is still available, take him here)
Around the Mark: Tom Lewis/Marlion Pickett/Sydney Stack

Pick 65: Tom Lewis (South Australia/Midfielder)
Around the Mark: Tom Sparrow/Damon Greaves/Luke English

Rookie Pick: Shane Nelson (Western Australia/Midfielder) (I think he's a perfect rookie pick, at the very least a fringe mid. I think Bolton is gone by now)
Around the Mark: Durak Tucker/Tobe Watson/Jye Bolton

Patty_Moz

Club Legend
Aug 8, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I can't say I know all the rules, but I was under the impression that once you pass you're finished for the night. Even if a bid then came in. But who knows, the AFL changes rules as it pleases.

I was hoping we trade this pick for a future 4th round pick if Carter doesn't get bid on before pick 52. Then we don't pass but can still select Carter with a later pick and slightly improves oir position in next years draft. Any idea if this is possible or not? I guess there may not be many takers on that trade though.

Mr Fonebone

Club Legend
Sep 10, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Ham
OK I have edited My Prediction. I left a deliberate mistake in my first go to see who is on the ball . Well done Gav:

1st Round - Ian Hill
I have my doubts about this particularly if guys like Hately or Collier-Dawkins are still available but I will go with the consensus here. Ed McHenry and Liam Stocker most likely alternatives

2nd Round - Jack Bytel

Freo have shown in the past a willingness to take risks with a player with injury history. See Balic, Apeness and Ballantine. Bytel has a lot of upside.

3rd Round - Tom Lewis
Freo into him by all accounts

4th Round - Riley Grundy

Need another developing KPD

1st Round Rookie - Tobe Watson

CATB Rookie -- Jason Carter

The above gives a good mix of x-factor, small forward, clearance mids, a KPD and rebounding defender.

When do I collect my prize?

Last edited:

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
My Prediction :

1st Round - Ian Hill
I have my doubts about this particularly if guys like Hately or Collier-Dawkins are still available but I will go with the consensus here.

2nd Round - Jack Bytel

Freo have shown in the past a willingness to take risks with a player with injury history. See Balic, Apeness and Ballantine. Bytel has a lot of upside.

3rd Round - Tom Lewis
Freo into him by all accounts

4th Round - Tobe Watson

Only because Callum Twomey is an impeccable source

1st Round Rookie - Jason Carter

The above gives a good mix of x-factor, small forward, clearance mids and rebounding defender.

I would prefer another KPD to back up Hamling, Pearce and Logue but I don't think its going to happen.

When do I collect my prize?
Rookie mistake Fonebone, as in, Carter becomes a Category B Rookie, allowing us to draft a Rookie!

NO prize.

Can I ask about the hype from O'Reilly? Is it just cause of the name? There are much better tall defenders this draft and in all honesty we don't need a tall defender.
When I've seen him play he is a contested marking tall forward who is good on the ground ball.

Arguably we need a key forward even less, but I think it makes sense to draft a capable tall that can mark. It makes me feel better that we have the flexibility to not simply lose a talented interstate tall but improve our list by doing it.

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
I'll go;

Round 1: Sam Sturt
Others: Zac Butters, Ian Hill

Round 2: Ned McHenry
Others, Luke Foley, Sydney Stack

Round 3: Luke Foley
Others, Tom Joyce

Round 4: Marlion Pickett

Others, Boyd Woodcock, Luke English

Rookie: Durak Tucker, Matt Parker, Michael Bennell

Cat B Rookie: Carter

(Log in to remove this ad.)

UYD 4 Life

All Australian
Nov 27, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Can I ask about the hype from O'Reilly? Is it just cause of the name? There are much better tall defenders this draft and in all honesty we don't need a tall defender.
Kicked 46 goals as an underage colt
Played wafl league as an underage colt
Kicked 6 in a colts final this year
Think he had the most contested marks at the national champs.

Seems to be that he's a full forward that has been pushed down back and through the ruck to see if he has that flexibility because i imagine everyone knows what he can do as a forward from last year.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I can't say I know all the rules, but I was under the impression that once you pass you're finished for the night. Even if a bid then came in. But who knows, the AFL changes rules as it pleases.
I assume we could live trade pick 65 for an even later pick though, giving us the Carter match option plus the option to snag say Durack on the main list and O'Reilly as a Rookie, along with Carter as Cat B?

I assume we could live trade pick 65 for an even later pick though, giving us the Carter match option plus the option to snag say Durack on the main list and O'Reilly as a Rookie, along with Carter as Cat B?
We could trade #65 for say Hawthorn's fourth next season and pick #135. That would do the trick. We would get the last pick in the draft to either eat our cake or both.

Sep 30, 2011
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Whoever is playing WC
100%. And the best thing about being a moderator on the phantom draft board is that I can see what edits are made and when.

I’m sticking to my story that Twomey and Landsberger copied mine though. Both look pretty similar from pick 10 onwards and I posted first.

Anyway, later today I’ll profile who I think the 5 most likely picks for us are.
Chris,
Have you sent your CV to Peter Bell yet? I'd recon you'd do a great job, although i'd be afraid about negotiating a pay deal will Belly. You might end up paying Freo to work there.

According to Twomey, who as good a inside knowledge as possible at this stage, there is a chance Clark gets through to PA's third pick (which is after ours)
upload_2018-11-21_15-57-56.png

Some hope Clark is there for us if we want him

Apr 7, 2010
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Brewers
According to Twomey, who as good a inside knowledge as possible at this stage, there is a chance Clark gets through to PA's third pick (which is after ours)
View attachment 586912
Some hope Clark is there for us if we want him

Lots of hope in two years too if he goes to either GWS or Port.

Back