Player Watch Pick #16 (2016) - Todd Marshall

Chrizzt

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'll post this here only because Marshall was our highest draft pick. out of all 4 drafTEES THIS YEARPICKp. and sue me I did not read a lot about possible draftees etc.
- did we get any sliders?
- were there any selections we surprisingly picked up early?
- who will have biggest impact this year?
- who is least likely to play this year?
- are any Vic Metro boys there lol
- out of last two selections where will they most likely play?

I know it is a long winded post, apologies to REH please be succinct. Oh and sorry for jumping the gun here.

EDIT: Also why not pick to the main list draft the rookie listed ruckman?

There were a large range of opinions of who which draftees should be rated where, so it's hard to say if any of them are real sliders or not. All picks draftees were picked approximately where most people thought they might go, however various draft watchers ranked some of our picks higher (for instance some saw Drew as a top 15 talent). There was a fair bit of thought that SPP would go to WCE at pick 13, but he was generally rated in that 15-25 bracket. Marshall was rated as a top 10 talent early in the year, but he slid down the rankings a bit as he slowed down toward the end of the year and never really had one huge game. As such, no real sliders, definitely no "reaches" and none were picked up surprisingly early.

SPP and Atley probably are physically the most ready to go, and as inside mids who can also run on the outside a bit they are the most likely type of player to have an immediate impact at AFL level. Some radio comments have been that Drew has impressed in his first week of training, and as another inside mid type it's not too far off to expect him to play some decent AFL footy this year. Marshall could and probably will get some AFL games this year IMO but he is still very skinny and not conditioned physically for AFL as he has only really switched to footy full time this year having been a cricketer up until then. So I can't see him playing more than say two bursts of 3-4 AFL games, but he's got the talent to potentially play well when he does play.

No Vic Metro boys. Marshall is from the Riverina area and part of the GWS academy early on before being disqualified for it by the AFL. SPP is from Perth. Atley and Drew both Vic Country.

Atley is a pretty classic on baller IMO. Could play some time down back early on as part of his development. Drew is an inside mid who played back pocket/flank during the U18 champs, however I could see him playing more up forward for us with pinch hits in the midfield. Can probably see Atley attending a few centre bounces this year, probably not Drew as he needs a bit more bulk on him.

bacharach

Club Legend
Oct 29, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I thought he looked way smaller than Lade (at the airport and at training), yet there's only supposed to be 3 cm between them. hopefully it was an optical illusion.

Portia

#DrewBlood
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog Port Adelaide - Jesse Palmer Player Sponsor 2017 Podcaster Port Adelaide - Riley Bonner Player Sponsor 2016 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Oct 7, 2001
Fragile bastion of liberalism
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Muckbuckle Dolmens
Marshall is 90% slouch, I think thats what you're seeing

#justsayin

1417073327123.jpg

Considering how big he is in that picture Volt didn't fill out a hell of a lot. Obviously kept himself pretty trim to keep his running power.

Didn't he? :p

524824-nick-riewoldt-during-training.jpg

That was in 2010 though, before he slimmed down to cover more ground and save his knee.

Portia

#DrewBlood
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog Port Adelaide - Jesse Palmer Player Sponsor 2017 Podcaster Port Adelaide - Riley Bonner Player Sponsor 2016 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Oct 7, 2001
Fragile bastion of liberalism
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Muckbuckle Dolmens
Back