Player Watch Pick #16 (2016) - Todd Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

I want Todd to make it and think he could be a top key fwd, but if the stories are correct that Hinkley is playing him as a swingman, his cards are already marked. RIP Todds career
I can't see Todd just sitting in the backline. There are occasional times however when big forwards are needed down back. It would be silly not to get him doing some training down there.

Todd Marshall might just be starting to “really emerge” at AFL level, after the talented key forward thrust his name into contention as Port Adelaide’s second attacking tall threat. Power coach Ken Hinkley says there is not a player who has had “as many challenges” as the 21-year-old in the early days of his AFL career, asking that supporters remain patient with the emerging young gun as he develops. After getting drafted by the Power with Pick 16 in the 2016 draft, Marshall found his way into Port’s side in his first year of senior footy and played in the elimination final loss. He then kicked seven goals in the first two games of 2018, but took time away from the club after the death of his father, Robert – just months after he lost his mother, Mary, to cancer. Since then, Marshall has managed 13 AFL games in nearly two seasons and after he played a key role in Port’s thrilling 10-point Marsh Series win over the Western Bulldogs in Whyalla on Saturday, Hinkley hoped fans had been patient with Marshall.

“We’ve been all waiting for Todd to grab some games and really emerge and I thought he did show signs (against the Bulldogs) that he is developing as a footballer,” Hinkley said. “We lose patience, people, supporters, fans we lose patient with a young tall forward, but I challenge anyone in the competition to have had as many challenges as Todd Marshall has had in his early days as a footballer.”

But while Marshall has all but played his way into a starting spot for Round 1 against the Suns, Hinkley said it wouldn’t necessarily be at the expense of exciting No. 18 pick Mitch Georgiades. “No, we would like to be a bit taller in our forward line so we can support Charlie (Dixon) a bit more,” he said. “That’s what you see and when we get those players emerging it’s a more dangerous look and opposition players start to guess ‘do we double team Charlie as much’ and let Marshall and Georgiades (go unchecked). “You want triple threats in terms of tall players and it looks like we have a couple there at the moment.”

But while Marshall has all but played his way into a starting spot for Round 1 against the Suns, Hinkley said it wouldn’t necessarily be at the expense of exciting No. 18 pick Mitch Georgiades. “No, we would like to be a bit taller in our forward line so we can support Charlie (Dixon) a bit more,” he said. “That’s what you see and when we get those players emerging it’s a more dangerous look and opposition players start to guess ‘do we double team Charlie as much’ and let Marshall and Georgiades (go unchecked). “You want triple threats in terms of tall players and it looks like we have a couple there at the moment.”

Acts 9:18

People forget just how rare decent key forwards are, and how long it takes to establish themselves.

he’s 21.

to put that in context key forwards playing afl aged 21 and under and their best goal average in their short careers

Marshall 1.6
Ben king 1.2
Max king -
Naughton 1.4
Tom McCartin 0.6
Oscar Allen 0.9
Luko 0.1
Blakey 0.9
Larkey (only just fits in under 22) 1.5

these are the only key forwards 21 and under that have debuted at Afl level I could think of that are worth including. Possible I’ve missed someone but not enough to change my point. I included max king even though he hasn’t as he is highly rated.

some of them are playing back or as swingmen like luko. Others are playing more as half forwards or wingman such as Blakey. Maybe 5 of that list have played as a genuine key forward and Marshall is on that list. Marshall has gotten the highest return (over a short period of 7 games mind you)

I’m not saying Marshall is the best of them, not at all, but he’s certainly not the worst of what is a good list. There is 18 teams in the league and that list of 9 guys, with a few unproven and some not destined to play forward you can begin to see how rare good young key forward prospects are, and why you need to value them highly.

People forget just how rare decent key forwards are, and how long it takes to establish themselves.

he’s 21.

to put that in context key forwards playing afl aged 21 and under and their best goal average in their short careers

Marshall 1.6
Ben king 1.2
Max king -
Naughton 1.4
Tom McCartin 0.6
Oscar Allen 0.9
Luko 0.1
Blakey 0.9
Larkey (only just fits in under 22) 1.5

these are the only key forwards 21 and under that have debuted at Afl level I could think of that are worth including. Possible I’ve missed someone but not enough to change my point. I included max king even though he hasn’t as he is highly rated.

some of them are playing back or as swingmen like luko. Others are playing more as half forwards or wingman such as Blakey. Maybe 5 of that list have played as a genuine key forward and Marshall is on that list. Marshall has gotten the highest return (over a short period of 7 games mind you)

I’m not saying Marshall is the best of them, not at all, but he’s certainly not the worst of what is a good list. There is 18 teams in the league and that list of 9 guys, with a few unproven and some not destined to play forward you can begin to see how rare good young key forward prospects are, and why you need to value them highly.
Some really interesting stat's there, cheers for that. I've always thought that Toddy is a really clever player with good footy smarts, and I for one am happy being patient and waiting for him to come into his own. A lot of key forwards haven't even debited by his age, and he's not only played a bunch of games, but scored 2-4 a couple of times, and does some great team things. His tackling pressure in the last few games of last year was incredibly impressive.
For any young key forward, especially one who has gone through what he has in the last few years, to be at this point in his career at his age is a good enough. It's not mind blowing but it's pretty decent

Love this from Todd

That’s the type of athletic arrogance that Buddy Franklin has.

Marshall just needs to get the rest of Franklin’s kit now :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love this from Todd

That's the sort of moment that helps you to realise you are a cut above average AFL players. Hopefully encourages Todd to really look for those sorts of contests and take them on.

“No, we would like to be a bit taller in our forward line so we can support Charlie (Dixon) a bit more,”

"it’s a more dangerous look and opposition players start to guess ‘do we double team Charlie as much"

“You want triple threats in terms of tall players and it looks like we have a couple there at the moment.”

No doubting the potent intelligence of our master coach Hinkley, given even the dullest students of the game have been screaming Port need this for the last five seasons at least (replace Dixon with Schultz).

Just stuck this in the Lets Talk Port Thread but given I was talking about Marshall's impact, it fits here too.

1592271687356.png

Whats the pass mark this year?

His first half last weekend was superb

His pass mark is that our forward line keeps functioning as a whole and we keep winning games, as we've done at a very high rate whenever we play him and Dixon together. If he chips in a couple of goals here and there as he's been doing recently, all the better, but that's not the be-all and end-all.

Last edited:
I reckon he's a good chance to serve us as leading goalkicker this year, but only if he gets played enough. I hope he fairs well against the tougher oppositions.

It's a small sample size of 2 matches, but as someone who has been impatient with Marshall up to this point of his career, I've been extremely impressed with his form in 2020. First and foremost, it looks like he is playing with purpose and confidence. He is presenting at the ball like a good key forward should, he is flying for marks even when out of position, and his hands are starting to hold onto the footy even under pressure. The contested mark he took in the third quarter against Adelaide (which was wrongly not paid and then ended with Motlop's second goal) was superb especially given that it was opposed to O'Brien who had marked really well in their defence.

Marshall's link up play throughout the showdown, in which he would mark just outside of 50 and immediately wheel around and hit a long target or kick to advantage in our forward 50, was Tredrea-esque. At least 4 (and possibly more) score involvements that resulted directly from this.

It was an excellent sequel to a really promising, mature game against Gold Coast.

The other aspect to his game against Adelaide was his combination work with the three Amigos, namely Butters, Rozee and Duursma. They combined very well on more than one occasion.

Extremely exciting times to see what Marshall can achieve this year, not to mention the long term prospect of Marshall-Georgiades-Williams and how they combine with Butters-Rozee-Duursma-Bergman-Mead-SPP.

His pass mark is that our forward line keeps functioning as a whole and we keep winning games, as we've done at a very high rate whenever we play him and Dixon together. If he chips in a couple of goals here and there as he's been doing recently, all the better, but that's not the be-all and end-all.
And throw in Mitch G...has the hallmarks

It's a small sample size of 2 matches, but as someone who has been impatient with Marshall up to this point of his career, I've been extremely impressed with his form in 2020. First and foremost, it looks like he is playing with purpose and confidence. He is presenting at the ball like a good key forward should, he is flying for marks even when out of position, and his hands are starting to hold onto the footy even under pressure. The contested mark he took in the third quarter against Adelaide (which was wrongly not paid and then ended with Motlop's second goal) was superb especially given that it was opposed to O'Brien who had marked really well in their defence.

Marshall's link up play throughout the showdown, in which he would mark just outside of 50 and immediately wheel around and hit a long target or kick to advantage in our forward 50, was Tredrea-esque. At least 4 (and possibly more) score involvements that resulted directly from this.

It was an excellent sequel to a really promising, mature game against Gold Coast.

The other aspect to his game against Adelaide was his combination work with the three Amigos, namely Butters, Rozee and Duursma. They combined very well on more than one occasion.

Extremely exciting times to see what Marshall can achieve this year, not to mention the long term prospect of Marshall-Georgiades-Williams and how they combine with Butters-Rozee-Duursma-Bergman-Mead-SPP.
Agree with everything here. He’s important for structure but he’s very important because he’s a natural footballer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back