Player Watch Pick #16 (2016) - Todd Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

With the recent news regarding Dixon in for surgery I'm not too surprised our first pick would be a key forward. Not only that but in 2016 our only forward 50 meter tall target was prodominantly Dixon with a sometimes surprise cameo from Westoff. We really need this kid as Howard has a bung knee now. Our next saviours are Frampton & Marshall. I haven't added Ryder as I think he will be our ruck & resting forward type guy. I don't even want to get into the Lobbe discussion at all as it will end up horribly.....

With the recent news regarding Dixon in for surgery I'm not too surprised our first pick would be a key forward. Not only that but in 2016 our only forward 50 meter tall target was prodominantly Dixon with a sometimes surprise cameo from Westoff. We really need this kid as Howard has a bung knee now. Our next saviours are Frampton & Marshall. I haven't added Ryder as I think he will be our ruck & resting forward type guy. I don't even want to get into the Lobbe discussion at all as it will end up horribly.....
Thats why we want eddy, to play until howard and marshall are ready.

Lobbe will be loping around like a giraffe and dropping marks whilst simultaneously tapping awesomely to opposition mids!

Lobbe will be loping around like a giraffe and dropping marks whilst simultaneously tapping awesomely to opposition mids!
I knew it would turn out horribly ;) .. Hey I'm a tape games & watch them later type as you don't get the full story at games for obvious reasons. Now I watched Lobbes return in the arse end of the season without any emotion & anger. I saw glimpses of 2014 .. Who knows hey ? Maybe he & Hartlett are our surprise packets in 2017 :)

I will put some stuff in here so when we look back we can see who made the right calls.

Knightmare didn't rank him in his top 30 power rankings but had him being drafted at pick 19 in his phantom draft as he had us taking English and Hayward. The doggies took English.

19 Western Bulldogs - Todd Marshall
Height, weight: 198cm, 87kg
Summary profile: Talented key forward with substantial scope to improve. Very quick and agile. Freakish at ground level for someone of his height.

But he wrote this on his ESPN blog
http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/...afl-draft-wrap-todd-marshall-next-darcy-moore
Player focus
Murray Bushrangers key forward Todd Marshall continued his consistent run of form on Saturday against Dandenong with nine disposals, three contested marks, three tackles, three goals and two behinds. In his seven TAC Cup games this year, he has kicked three goals in six of them.

The 198cm key forward has demonstrated considerable talent throughout the season and is seen as a top 10 selection, who may push inside the top five on draft day with a strong finals series.

Marshall plays his best football close to goal. He is an appealing key forward prospect because he has excellent agility and explosiveness, which in combination with extremely clean hands below his knees at his height, have moved him into position to be the first key position player to be selected in this year's AFL draft. As the season has progressed, Marshall has shown some glimpses of Collingwood's Darcy Moore - they are similar heights and boast excellent athleticism and ground level ability but also attack the ball in flight.

Also impressive has been Marshall's reliability in front of goal, with 18 goals and five behinds in the TAC Cup this season. Overall the signs are that Marshall is converting the shots he should be and has the penetration to convert from 50-55m.

Marshall's forward pressure has also been pleasing. In his past three games he has laid 13 tackles and has shown a willingness to chase and pressure opposition defenders in general play. His tackling was also a highlight on Saturday against Dandenong with several strong tackles and chasing efforts.

Analysis
Despite his efforts this season, recruiters would be asking one another "when is Marshall going to kick 6-plus goals? Or take 10-plus marks in a game?" His goalkicking numbers have been consistent and he's also displayed flashes of brilliance here and there during games. The next stage in his progression is having a breakout performance that leaves recruiters feeling more confident that Marshall will be a No. 1 key forward at AFL level.

Marshall will be looking to add further size and strength to enable him to become a stronger one-on-one mark while still maintaining his athleticism. He will also be looking to improve his endurance and over time develop the ability to push further up the field to become effective up the field as well as inside the forward 50m.

Quigley had him at 21

21. Todd Marshall

This draft is probably the strongest in the last 10 years with fantastic depth across the board in virtually all areas. The one exception is in the KPFs where it is probably the weakest in the last 10 years. In most years Marshall is probably the 3rd or 4th forward off the board but this year he is probably 1st albeit at the end of the first round or early second. Marshall got a lot of early fanfare and he was being talked up as a top 3 prospect. I am glad it looks like things are returning to a more realistic level as there is no way Marshall should be being looked at in the top 5 and I would have major issues if my team took him in the top 10.

Everyone probably knows that Marshall was an elite cricketer before giving that up this year to focus on football. The way this has been sold has implied that Marshall is completely new to the game and has hardly picked up a football before this year. That idea is completely false and Marshall has played football most of his life. Sure he has split time and a significant focus was on his cricket but Marshall has played plenty of AFL.

When you see him kick the ball it is pretty clear that he has played the game a fair bit before. He does miss his fair share of targets but he is confident trying things by hand and foot whether on the right or left foot. He might in fact be the best non-preferred KPF kick that I can remember. He plays on quickly, assesses nicely and takes good options. Execution can sometimes let him down a bit but there is a great base for him to develop into a very skilled KPF. His set shot has been talked up and I do not see anything fundamentally wrong with it but overall I would consider it to be pretty average. He misses some he should get but makes enough kicks for goal for me to classify him as a good average kick for goal. His technique reminds me a bit of Tom Hawkins from the gather onwards.

Marshall is a strong, straight up the ground lead for the ball. He has reasonable pace and is often able to get a step or two of separation. He has a confident approach to flying for the ball and it doesn't seem to worry him if there is someone on his back or if someone drops into the space in front. He has good balance in the air and from looking at him you expect him to take more contested marks than he does. Above his head his hands are only average. He takes a reasonable number of marks but he is nothing extraordinary. Where he is very good for a big guy is when the ball hits the ground. He recovers quicker than other talls and is very clean below the knees. He is a quick decision maker and will feed or snap very quickly. When the ball hits the ground he becomes another dangerous medium forward.

Marshall wore down over the course of the season and generally didn't develop as a lot of people expected he would. He was a regular goal kicker but was not someone who really took over games. He didn't test at the Combine, sitting out with soreness. Marshall has a reasonably solid bottom half but his upper body needs plenty of work. Similarly with his tank. His repeat efforts are not what they could be and I think he will become a much more dangerous proposition once his endurance and strength get up to a satisfactory level. At the moment he is still very raw and is probably a couple of years away from making any significant impact at AFL level.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-26/tomorrows-heroes-marshall-seeks-to-bowl-them-over

....He was doing it then as a member of Greater Western Sydney's academy zone, having hailed from Deniliquin in New South Wales. But his swift rise brought the ire of rival clubs, who questioned his involvement with the Giants' academy system.

The AFL investigated the issue and pulled him out of the academy due to a "registration issue", leaving him available to all clubs in the open draft. His form throughout the year fluctuated but he remains in the top group of prospects.

WHY-THEY-SHOULD-PICK-HIM.jpg

He's a tall forward, and they don't come around all that often at the top end of the draft. Marshall's agility and movement for a 196cm player is rare: he's exceptional when the ball hits the ground and is adept at grabbing it off his toes, spinning and kicking a goal.

One such example was in the Murray Bushrangers' Grand Final loss, when he gathered a ball at top pace, picked it up and kicked truly in a flash. It was a moment of brilliance that made recruiters look up and take notice.

Marshall was the best key forward in the division two championships for NSW-ACT, including a four-goal haul against Queensland, and he is a quality kick and shot for goal. The 18-year-old is trusty in front of goal and cleverly thinks through his shots. He was also among the best handful of players for forward 50 pressure acts in the division one carnival for the Allies.

the-query.jpg

Marshall was never really able to piece together a complete game this season, leaving recruiters to sift through moments rather than matches of dominance. In 11 games for the Bushrangers he kicked 22 goals this year, but never more than three in a game.

His quieter form for the Allies was also a disappointing patch for him, and showed he needs to get more of the ball. He averaged fewer than six disposals in his four appearances in division one, and fewer than 10 for the Bushrangers across the season.

Marshall is still lightly framed too, which can limit his marking one-on-one and force him to get most of his touches on the lead. The 197cm prospect is only 85kg, so will need to add some muscle to his frame over summer to be able to compete better in marking contests. Injuries and cricket commitments have limited his ability to have a full pre-season, however, so he hasn't had that chance yet.

plays-like.jpg

It's difficult to compare anyone to star Gold Coast forward Tom Lynch, but he is the type of player Marshall should be aiming to become. At a similar size and shape (when Lynch was drafted), Marshall has plenty of growth left in him.

draft-range.jpg

Some big performances in the finals could have pushed Marshall into top-five consideration, but they didn't really come. He can still be a top-10 pick, but might now fit in deeper in the first round.

bottom-line.jpg

Marshall is the best pure key forward in the pool, but there's still plenty of development to come in his game and make-up. He was sore towards the end of the season and battled injury, but if a club wants a tall forward to bring in, then Marshall would be first choice.

Tomorrows-Heroes-Todd-Marshall.jpg

He's got a new profile pic on twitter. Wonder why it's the away jumper haha.

2eb6jhHL_400x400.jpg
Probably that's all Kmart in Deni had. Kmart still are the official stockist of the AFL aren't they??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably that's all Kmart in Deni had. Kmart still are the official stockist of the AFL aren't they??
I once got a Kmart jumper as a gift and it didn't have the sponsors logo on it.

I once got a Kmart jumper as a gift and it didn't have the sponsors logo on it.
When was once? Pre these Lycra type guernsies that everything is printed on and not sown on?

Going on that video REH posted, he's got the technique already.

It's uncanny how much he is like Westhoff. The way he floats over the pack to take a grab and has a similar nonchalance around the ground.

To me, he looks slightly more developed than Hoff was at the same stage. We won't need to wait too long before his body fills out.
I think (and hope) he is the rolls royce version of Hoff. And most importantly has consistency. But know 2018-19. Just hope he gets a taste this year

Sheesh, not only does he look exactly like Westy, but he is taking exactly the same marks in this video as Westy was in his early days, and he is almost exactly the same type of shot for goal. I hope he can improve that shot for goal cause I couldn't deal with another 10 years of poor goal kicking from a key fwd.

I like this pic. In my dream world him and english were gone before our pick so that more mid options flowed down to us, but ah well, we've got a talented looking key fwd who fills a need whilst it looks like we may have scored a couple capable mids, so looks like we've done ok.

Needs a good develop a chainsaw celebration then the comparison will be complete.

When was once? Pre these Lycra type guernsies that everything is printed on and not sown on?

K-Mart don't do official club merch, they do "AFL Approved" merch. You won't find ISC or stuff with sponsors logos in K-Mart.

261deuq.jpg

Butcher, Harvey and Shaw were all injury prone and or inconsistent. We have poor record when it comes to developing young keys forwards since Tredders retired. So I hope there's such thing as 4th time lucky?

I knew it would turn out horribly ;) .. Hey I'm a tape games & watch them later type as you don't get the full story at games for obvious reasons. Now I watched Lobbes return in the arse end of the season without any emotion & anger. I saw glimpses of 2014 .. Who knows hey ? Maybe he & Hartlett are our surprise packets in 2017 :)
I too actually thought Lobbe was coming god at seasons end

Remove this Banner Ad

Back