Player Watch Pick #16 (2016) - Todd Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

The only alternative I've seen suggested is Mitch Georgiades, who as an 18 year old with 7 games experience we definitely could have relied on to be a consistent performer throughout a finals series.
You mean like Marshall in 2017?

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

The only alternative I've seen suggested is Mitch Georgiades, who as an 18 year old with 7 games experience we definitely could have relied on to be a consistent performer throughout a finals series.

The problem is that Marshall was completely backed in through a run of poor form, right up to the preliminary final. We all hoped he would hit better form and he didn't.
If Mitch was given a shot at it in that time we might have seen what we had to offer.
I think it was a mistake to not rotate players more often.

The idea that someone else couldn't have done more is still BS. 6 touches and a behind. That is the standard to beat. No reason why MG couldn't have matched it.

The problem is that Marshall was completely backed in through a run of poor form, right up to the preliminary final. We all hoped he would hit better form and he didn't.
If Mitch was given a shot at it in that time we might have seen what we had to offer.
I think it was a mistake to not rotate players more often.

The idea that someone else couldn't have done more is still BS. 6 touches and a behind. That is the standard to beat. No reason why MG couldn't have matched it.

Someone else could have done more, but it was hardly a game that was conducive to good performances by key forwards, especially not ours given we basically didn't enter the forward line a single time against a defence that wasn't set up with a +1.

Despite the wealth of key position forward riches playing in the game, none of them managed to get double figure touches or more than 1 goal.

Georgiades is a different type of forward and would have played a different role. We should have both in our starting 22 next season.

Someone else could have done more, but it was hardly a game that was conducive to good performances by key forwards, especially not ours given we basically didn't enter the forward line a single time against a defence that wasn't set up with a +1.

Despite the wealth of key position forward riches playing in the game, none of them managed to get double figure touches or more than 1 goal.

Georgiades is a different type of forward and would have played a different role. We should have both in our starting 22 next season.

That game in isolation, sure, but his form was down for weeks. We went into a really important game knowing that.

Georgiades is more an Ebert replacement than a Marshall replacement.
I see the potential for MG to play an Ebo role but has he ever done anything to show that he has the tank or the midfield nous to play further up the ground?

At this stage it sounds a bit like the Crows claiming Flog can play midfield to me.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

If only this board had the same patience with Todd Marshall as it did for the considerably less talented John Butcher.

I see the potential for MG to play an Ebo role but has he ever done anything to show that he has the tank or the midfield nous to play further up the ground?

At this stage it sounds a bit like the Crows claiming Flog can play midfield to me.

Was referring more to Ebo's high half forward role. I don't know whether MG can pinch hit in the middle like Ebo could, but as we begin to transition Rozee and Butters into the middle, I don't think we need him to.

I'd be very surprised if we play Dixon, Ladhams, Marshall, Georgiades and Lycett in the same team.
I don't think the two rucks generally work that well under Hinkley and Ladhams should probably have been a late out for the prelim with the weather conditions.

Was referring more to Ebo's high half forward role. I don't know whether MG can pinch hit in the middle like Ebo could, but as we begin to transition Rozee and Butters into the middle, I don't think we need him to.
Yes but that high half forward role requires a player to have a massive tank and to be able to push up into the midfield.

I haven't seen it from Mitch yet.

At this stagebhe is a deep forward only which makes it hard when we are already playing Dixon and Ladhams.

It will only really work playing all of them if Dixon pushes up to CHF IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That decision was considered to a better one at the time than a more experienced player who many thought wouldn't make it, ala Trengove or Eddy.

We didn't have another more experienced key forward on the list in fairness after the big brained move to delist Butcher the previous season

Sack Hinkley

If only this board had the same patience with Todd Marshall as it did for the considerably less talented John Butcher.

The board didn't have patience for Butcher either, the impatient types just never had to deal with Butch having a lean patch and keeping his place.

Sack Hinkley.

Mate saw the Port boys at the Cremorne last night and had Todd Marshall offering him $500 to do his uni assignment by Sunday. Said if he promised to kick 40+ goals next year it was a deal. Watch this space, breakout incoming.

The problem is that Marshall was completely backed in through a run of poor form

This is where we disagree

While Marshall wasn’t in the on-fire form (that saw him rated in the top few key forwards in the league) after his injury, his form wasn’t by any means “poor” for a 2nd key forward

I’ve already extensively laid out the numbers for people to see what 2nd key forwards operating to a dominant forward put out this season and it was eye opening for anyone who hadnt already made up their mind.

He wasn’t “backed in through poor form”

He was playing because he deserved to be there.

Without looking up stats, because I already did this throughly once before, just looking at the 2nd kfs in the teams at the pointy end that were fighting for a grand final spot you had Riewoldt, mcstay and geelong has tried to find one all year and failed.

You would have to be crazy stubborn to suggest that any of them (senior players) have been better than the kid we’re developing.

You would have to be crazy stubborn to suggest that any of them (senior players) have been better than the kid we’re developing.
A kid whose best is breath taking and whose worst is maddening. At pick16 we've made a significant investment in Todd and sooner rather than later he will, imo,

return the patience and trust. How often as the season went on did we see him on the ball and or in defence laying tackles and/or cutting off space.

Tredders has said he'd like to see Todd impose himself more often and demand to be the ball carrier's option. We all want that, what I want is for Todd to want that.

It'll happen and like the Amons of our team we'll be all the better for it.

1603340117505.png

People aren't questioning Todd on the back of 1 game, it's his entire back half of the season.

The first defence would be well a few of those games at the back end were high pressure finals, but in reality between Rnd 14-17 against 3 of the bottom 6 teams, he averaged 0 goals, just over 8 touches and 2 marks a game, in fact in one of those games he actually had (negative) -1 meters gained.

First half of the year he averaged 1.125 goals a game, 8.9 disp, 3.75 marks, 4 Score Involvements, 0.85 contested marks a game
Second half of the year he averaged 0.33 goals per game, 6.6 disp, 1.3 marks, 2.33 SI, 0 CM a game.

On of the worst parts is that he only took 1 contested mark from round 8 onward. Frustrating part of this stat is that he gets his hands to so many marking opportunities and drops probably 95%. With a large portion of them markable if he just hardened up.

So ultimately the Todd criticism and concern is totally warranted as his end to the year just wasn't up to scratch.

We need to persist with Todd, and we need him to come good. He has a whole bunch of talent and we can all see that. However I don't understand the ignorance of the few that refuse to acknowledge we need him to lift. His output in the back half of this year in particular was not good enough, this is undisputable fact that has been laid out here many times before, and if we're to improve and he's to have a successful long career we need him to find another level asap.

Attachments

• 1603341116897.png
    1603341116897.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
View attachment 991762

People aren't questioning Todd on the back of 1 game, it's his entire back half of the season.

The first defence would be well a few of those games at the back end were high pressure finals, but in reality between Rnd 14-17 against 3 of the bottom 6 teams, he averaged 0 goals, just over 8 touches and 2 marks a game, in fact in one of those games he actually had (negative) -1 meters gained.

First half of the year he averaged 1.125 goals a game, 8.9 disp, 3.75 marks, 4 Score Involvements, 0.85 contested marks a game
Second half of the year he averaged 0.33 goals per game, 6.6 disp, 1.3 marks, 2.33 SI, 0 CM a game.

On of the worst parts is that he only took 1 contested mark from round 8 onward. Frustrating part of this stat is that he gets his hands to so many marking opportunities and drops probably 95%. With a large portion of them markable if he just hardened up.

So ultimately the Todd criticism and concern is totally warranted as his end to the year just wasn't up to scratch.

Then lastly there's the his career path and the fact that if anything his overall output this year went backwards on his last 2. Less of the footy and less scoreboard impact.

View attachment 991777

We need to persist with Todd, and we need him to come good. He has a whole bunch of talent and we can all see that. However I don't understand the ignorance of the few that refuse to acknowledge we need him to lift. His output in the back half of this year in particular was not good enough, this is undisputable fact that has been laid out here many times before, and if we're to improve and he's to have a successful long career we need him to find another level asap.
His disposal average went up (very slightly) from last season, if you normalise for shorter quarters.

View attachment 991762

Then lastly there's the his career path and the fact that if anything his overall output this year went backwards on his last 2. Less of the footy and less scoreboard impact.

View attachment 991777

He was playing through an injured hand the second half of the year. Scrub the back half from any talk of how he went this year due to this and he improved quite a bit. Why people think he'll come back next year without the injury concern playing like when he was injured, rather than when he wasn't is a mystery :think:

He was playing through an injured hand the second half of the year. Scrub the back half from any talk of how he went this year due to this and he improved quite a bit. Why people think he'll come back next year without the injury concern playing like when he was injured, rather than when he wasn't is a mystery :think:
That's a part of the problem right there, and majority of the debate. If he wasn't fit enough to perform, and wasn't performing, then why was he playing. The other element is people saying he wasn't underperforming, which is not true and you've confirmed you agree with that by saying it's injury that caused it.

I agree that (and I hope and believe) he will hit 2021 at pace and hopefully get closer to the level we need, but I think right now it is reasonable to say on the back of his performances that there's question marks there. When you suit up to play, and the coach puts you in expecting you can deliver, you better, or this sort of commentary will follow.

Last edited:
That's a part of the problem right there, and majority of the debate. If he wasn't fit enough to perform, and wasn't performing, then why was he playing. The other element is people saying he wasn't underperforming, which is not true and you've confirmed you agree with that by saying it's injury that caused it.

I agree that I hope and believe he will hit 2021 at pace and hopefully get closer to the level we need, but I think right now it is reasonable to say on the back of his performances that there's question marks there. When you suit up to play, and the coach puts you in expecting you can deliver, you better or this sort of commentary will follow.
He played, because even a reduced Marshall was better then another small forward (remembering MG was also unavailable injured much of that time and Westhoff was in even worse form). If property is location, location, location then football is structure, structure, structure. I don't know which coach(es) finally got that message in 2020, but thank Christ they did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back