Player Watch Pick #16 (2016) - Todd Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Todd Marshall is more talented than Butcher and has a far greater chance of making it.
I think Todd has a better chance of being an AFL something than Butcher, but Butcher had more chance of becoming a focal KPF than Marshall does

I think Todd has a better chance of being an AFL something than Butcher, but Butcher had more chance of becoming a focal KPF than Marshall does
But why? Butcher was terrible at AFL level, and actually got worse every year.

Marshall has the ability to make other forwards around him better and create space. Butcher was only ever good if every other forward was working for him, and his shot at goal killed all the value of that gameplan IMO.

I just can’t see a single way that Butcher helps us beat modern zone defences in a way that Marshall doesn’t do better. Taking one contested mark a game isn’t useful when you miss the shot anyway, and every other time defenders get to the fall of the ball first because of the effect of flooding/zoning.

Marshall is still so overrated here it's painful.

I hope I'm wrong, but farking hell if this is our future we are totally screwed.
Whether you like it or not, Marshall is our future KPF for the 20's. The cupboard is now bare of young KPF's and even old one's as Dixon will struggle to make it much past 2021.

Because Marshall is wiry and rarely wins contests of strength (grapple or body work to lose his opponent), whereas Butch had less of a concern on that count

Marshall’s build dictates that he’s always going to have to be relatively more avoidant of opponents to win the ball (as opposed to contesting the space) than a standard focal KPF, which is why he won’t be a focal KPF.

Might be a solid third tall forward *sigh*, wingman or backman though

2019 is Marshall's last chance saloon in the forward line. I really hope he has a break out year, otherwise we have Westhoff's replacement on the wing or CHB.

Fingers crossed but I'd be working on a Plan B and fast.

2019 is Marshall's last chance saloon in the forward line. I really hope he has a break out year, otherwise we have Westhoff's replacement on the wing or CHB.

Fingers crossed but I'd be working on a Plan B and fast.
It's plan L.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I know what you’re getting at but there is surely no way you actually believe this, particularly given we are talking about the Gold Coast here.

The Gold Coast have done a better job of developing tall forwards than Port Adelaide have since they entered the competition. Port Adelaide under Hinkley has done some absolutely unforgivable stuff when it comes to developing talls.

Marshall absolutely has the talent to be an AFL quality key forward and beyond. He'd probably already be one if he'd been drafted elsewhere, and I don't trust the current coaches to back him in during any lulls in form in 2020.

The Gold Coast have done a better job of developing tall forwards than Port Adelaide have since they entered the competition. Port Adelaide under Hinkley has done some absolutely unforgivable stuff when it comes to developing talls.

Marshall absolutely has the talent to be an AFL quality key forward and beyond. He'd probably already be one if he'd been drafted elsewhere, and I don't trust the current coaches to back him in during any lulls in form in 2020.

I don't think you can presume Marshall would have been successful at any other club by now. Kid has been through a horrendous couple of years and still doesn't have the build to play the way he wants to play unless he is a third tall.

Apologies for mentioning butcher in the first place, won't do it again.

As for Todd, he is going okay. He has played 20 games in his first 3 years with 3, 7 and 10 games. Would've been more than that if it wasn't for injury and tragedy.

i think 2020 will be his breakout year.

Is Port Adelaide a graveyard for tall forwards? Maybe, because our history isn't great but i don't think we've recruited well in that department but if we can keep Marshall developing, and get our hands on Lukosious i don't think we will have much trouble.

Were the like of Willits, White, Stewart, Shaw, Harvey busts because of our poor development or were they just terrible recruits, i'm leaning towards the latter.

Apologies for mentioning butcher in the first place, won't do it again.

As for Todd, he is going okay. He has played 20 games in his first 3 years with 3, 7 and 10 games. Would've been more than that if it wasn't for injury and tragedy.

i think 2020 will be his breakout year.

Is Port Adelaide a graveyard for tall forwards? Maybe, because our history isn't great but i don't think we've recruited well in that department but if we can keep Marshall developing, and get our hands on Lukosious i don't think we will have much trouble.

Were the like of Willits, White, Stewart, Shaw, Harvey busts because of our poor development or were they just terrible recruits, i'm leaning towards the latter.

Willits the archetypal man child. In himdsight that was a bad recruit. Was given a shitload of time to make it too.

White I think we got good service out of goven how late he was drafted. 2 bad injuries ruined his agility, but hes a pass mark.

Stewart as well, was a pass mark. We got the most out of him as a rookie pick.

Shaw is on us. Has a massive year, doesnt get a look in, failed to develop him beyond that.

Harvey was, is and always will be an utterly s**t decision

Willits the archetypal man child. In himdsight that was a bad recruit. Was given a shitload of time to make it too.

White I think we got good service out of goven how late he was drafted. 2 bad injuries ruined his agility, but hes a pass mark.

Stewart as well, was a pass mark. We got the most out of him as a rookie pick.

Shaw is on us. Has a massive year, doesnt get a look in, failed to develop him beyond that.

Harvey was, is and always will be an utterly s**t decision
I think Mason Shaw is probably the most hard done by out of all the tall forwards we've recruited. Butcher is the one that gets talked about the most but Shaw was only given 3 years to prove himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always thought Mason shaw played to much like tredders and they didnt complement each other.

Edit: Damon white not bloody mason shaw

Last edited:
Damon White wasn't too bad, he just tended to lead in Tredders' way and then had a bit of the old trampoline chest.

Couldn't quite lock a spot down, had some injuries and then Choco was hellbent on his insane Ebert/Motlop/Westhoff with Tredders playing decoy forward setup.

Essentially we have developed one decent full forward, in Tredrea, in 20+ years

not a great strike rate

Tredders was the consumate professional and generally took responsibility for his own development. 'Developing' Tredders would not have been an onerous undertaking for the club.

Not sure about the love for Mason Shaw, to me he was a bog average player who couldn't get near it often enough as a forward to even be considered for an AFL gig, and when he was moved to defence he wasn't particularly successful in that role either.

From memory his mother made a fuss when he was delisted by Port, including ringing 5double crow and throwing all of her toys out of the cot, and as far as I am aware neither of the WA AFL clubs showed any interest in redrafting him.

Not sure about the love for Mason Shaw, to me he was a bog average player who couldn't get near it often enough as a forward to even be considered for an AFL gig, and when he was moved to defence he wasn't particularly successful in that role either.

From memory his mother made a fuss when he was delisted by Port, including ringing 5double crow and throwing all of her toys out of the cot, and as far as I am aware neither of the WA AFL clubs showed any interest in redrafting him.

He's a star in the WAFL though. Maybe a late developer. I think he'd be at least a competent player at AFL level now.

Shaw had some injuries too though right? I personally didn't agree with him being moved down back, it was a waste of time. The club pulled that with Frampton and Lobbe too instead of playing them in their actual spots or trade/drafting in players to play down back.

Shaw had some injuries too though right? I personally didn't agree with him being moved down back, it was a waste of time. The club pulled that with Frampton and Lobbe too instead of playing them in their actual spots or trade/drafting in players to play down back.

I can't recall Shaw having many injuries as opposed to eg Frampton who missed most of his first season with leg problems, and saw him as a fairly one dimensional player who struggled to have any impact if he couldn't mark the ball, and assumed he was moved down back to expand his game.

From memory there were rumours from very early that he wasn't happy in SA, so it was no great surprise to me he was delisted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back