Player Watch Pick #16 (2016) - Todd Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

Sick of people making comments on players they don’t watch

Incorrect I've watched him plenty

Scared of a contest?

The kid has nearly killed half a dozen of his own teammates from launching himself into packs.

That's negligent he' supposed to split packs and nearly kill the oppo
not scout the contest waiting for the cheap spill or handout like a rover

and that’s from a kf we drafted who was a stick meant to be years away who only just played his first complete season because both his parents died in each of the previous 2 seasons.

anyone who is even 1/2 port Adelaide knows his terrible past there's no need to post it here looking for instant support or an extra couple of like's

What he’s lacking is confidence and 5 kgs..

Agreed but will it arrive ?

Literally the 2 easiest things to ever develop in a key forward.

As opposed to trying to teach Daniel Stewart how to football, or Sam gray to be 20cms taller...

I have my opinion of him as a player at afl level only and I hope i'm proven wrong but atm I have my doubts

Tredders was the consumate professional and generally took responsibility for his own development. 'Developing' Tredders would not have been an onerous undertaking for the club.

agree

imagine if he went to carlton as suggested

our cupboard would be bare

Lightyears behind buzza. :)

Just thinking how much football is left in Charlie ?
Thats why Williams might be a good idea for the future.
I’m still not sold on Marshall.
I am sold on Marshall, but NOT as a replacement for Dixon. I may be completely wrong about this, but, as I have said before, I don't see him as a KPF.

He is agile and skilled enough to play as CHF/third tall. I think he is the perfect partner for a KPF.

Would be nice to hear that an established player is expected to have a breakout season.

Too much emphasis is placed on young players improving and not enough on established players that have not played to their expected level.

Sure young players are the future but the here and now is and should be the realm of established players.

Would be nice to hear that an established player is expected to have a breakout season.

Too much emphasis is placed on young players improving and not enough on established players that have not played to their expected level.

Sure young players are the future but the here and now is and should be the realm of established players.
How can an experienced established player have a breakout season?

That's why they are an experienced player, they had a break out season when they were young and survived past 4 or 5 years on the list, which the majority of players drafted don't do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Todd is already something special. Our football department just have zero interest in turning KPF potential into performance. Barring a fundamental change to our overall philosophy, Marshall won't get the opportunity to have a genuine breakout year as a key forward in 2020.

When Butcher got delisted at the end of 2016 after years of mismanagement of his development from the club, people on here stated that the problem was with Butcher, not the club. That the club couldn't have done more for him. Those people were incorrect.

How can an experienced established player have a breakout season?

That's why they are an experienced player, they had a break out season when they were young and survived past 4 or 5 years on the list, which the majority of players drafted don't do.
That's the point. They had.
Had.
Time to re have.

Our issues in recent times have not been due to the younger players not being good enough.

Had.
Time to re have.

Our issues in recent times have not been due to the younger players not being good enough.
Then its not a "breakout" anymore. But your point is correct, many of the more experienced players let us down last year, and need to lift their game. Too much contentment, mediocrity, and media posturing - Not enough commitment to their game!

Todd is already something special. Our football department just have zero interest in turning KPF potential into performance. Barring a fundamental change to our overall philosophy, Marshall won't get the opportunity to have a genuine breakout year as a key forward in 2020.

When Butcher got delisted at the end of 2016 after years of mismanagement of his development from the club, people on here stated that the problem was with Butcher, not the club. That the club couldn't have done more for him. Those people were incorrect.

Butcher showed a lot more than Marshall has to this point. I haven't seen anything that suggests Marshall is good enough to be anything more than a second or third tall type player. He doesn't have much of a physical presence or a strong appetite for the contest. He's got skills and tricks but that's not good enough to be a genuine power forward.

Here is what the top goalkickers of 2019 were doing in their 4th season of AFL

J.Cameron - 63g 37b
B.Brown - 63g 30b (mature recruit, was 24yo)
T.Lynch - 46g 25b
J.Darling - 39g 25b (kicked 50g in his 2nd year)
T.Hawkins 21g 13b (breakout in his 5th season)
J.Kennedy 31g 17b (played round 7 onwards)
T.Walker 63g 35b

Good luck Todd

Had.
Time to re have.

So you want a career best season from experienced players not a break out season.

You can only have one breakout season. You can have plenty of career best seasons to date.

Here is what the top goalkickers of 2019 were doing in their 4th season of AFL

J.Cameron - 63g 37b
B.Brown - 63g 30b (mature recruit, was 24yo)
T.Lynch - 46g 25b
J.Darling - 39g 25b (kicked 50g in his 2nd year)
T.Hawkins 21g 13b (breakout in his 5th season)
J.Kennedy 31g 17b (played round 7 onwards)
T.Walker 63g 35b

Good luck Todd
Marshall in the SANFL in 2019. 12 goals in 14 games.

Here's another

J.Cameron - Not coached by Ken Hinkley, played to a proper forward structure
B.Brown - Not coached by Ken Hinkley, played to a proper forward structure
T.Lynch - Not coached by Ken Hinkley, played to a proper forward structure
J.Darling - Not coached by Ken Hinkley, played to a proper forward structure
T.Hawkins - Not coached by Ken Hinkley, played to a proper forward structure
J.Kennedy - Not coached by Ken Hinkley, played to a proper forward structure
T.Walker - Not coached by Ken Hinkley, played to a proper forward structure

T. Marshall - coached by Ken Hinkley, spends most of the game on the wing or at half back playing decoy for Sam Gray on the rare occasion he hasn't been dropped

Here's another

J.Cameron - Not coached by Ken Hinkley, played to a proper forward structure
B.Brown - Not coached by Ken Hinkley, played to a proper forward structure
T.Lynch - Not coached by Ken Hinkley, played to a proper forward structure
J.Darling - Not coached by Ken Hinkley, played to a proper forward structure
T.Hawkins - Not coached by Ken Hinkley, played to a proper forward structure
J.Kennedy - Not coached by Ken Hinkley, played to a proper forward structure
T.Walker - Not coached by Ken Hinkley, played to a proper forward structure

T. Marshall - coached by Ken Hinkley, spends most of the game on the wing or at half back playing decoy for Sam Gray on the rare occasion he hasn't been dropped
Yup, no chance in our Bassett and Hinkley forward line where small forwards rule and "compete and bring it to ground" is the tall forwards' mantra.

Obviously doesn't take advantage of the skills available in the team.

And if you think Todd doesn't compete then take a closer look.

Anyway, sack Hinkleyball and Hinkley.

On SM-G920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Then its not a "breakout" anymore. But your point is correct, many of the more experienced players let us down last year, and need to lift their game. Too much contentment, mediocrity, and media posturing - Not enough commitment to their game!
Of course I know that's not breakout.
However I didn't think I needed to use a smilie.

Our philosophy around developing KPFs needs to change. They must be persisted with even through poor form. Dropping them to the snaffle after a quiet period is not the answer and, in my mind, the reason we haven't had anyone truly break out and take the mantle. Hell, even Dixon got dropped last year and it caused us to drop an otherwise winnable game.

Either Marshall gets a decent run at it or Hinkley gets sacked. That's the only way he'll succeed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back