Player Watch Pick #16 (2016) - Todd Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, Todd has been amazing this year but if we go back in time I'm still playing Trengove in the 2017 EF and Westhoff in the 2020 PF. People can claim his selection was always justified and gloat all they like but thats simply not true.
And in your scenario we still lose both of those games because those guys were both cooked, but Todd is less developed and less likely to be having the year he's having this year.

And in your scenario we still lose both of those games because those guys were both cooked, but Todd is less developed and less likely to be having the year he's having this year.

Both would have had a better output than Todd did in those games, and being that they were both lost by less than a goal, those players could have been the difference.

Less developed? Please.

Both would have had a better output than Todd did in those games,
Both had a worse output than Todd had in those games in several of their own games in those respective years. Both also never played another game as key forwards again. Their careers were over. The idea that they would have had more impact on those games than Marshall is entirely hypothetical.

Yeah playing a guy with an injured shoulder is great at giving him development.

Marshall should never have played in the 2020 prelim.

And should never have played the role he was given in the 2017 Elimination Final. Not sure what development he got by standing around watching McGovern rack up intercepts.

Yeah, Todd has been amazing this year but if we go back in time I'm still playing Trengove in the 2017 EF and Westhoff in the 2020 PF. People can claim his selection was always justified and gloat all they like but thats simply not true.
The problem with the 2017 EF was not Todd over Trengove, it was Impey over Trengove. The 2020 PF we'd have done better with Westhoff over Lycett, not Marshall.

I love this thread! Three years fighting over how bad Todd Marshall is ... Now so far, 10 pages of fighting over how good Todd Marshall is!

You gotsta love Bigfooty!

What if Todd Marshall is good now, but was bad then?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been our best forward all year, almost our only forward

Is he then the Todd man out?

100% correct, I’d add in that I’m playing Georgiades ahead of him in the 2021 PF.

100% correct, I’d add in that I’m playing Georgiades ahead of him in the 2021 PF.
I'd suggest you watch that game again and enlighten us as to which forward was more dangerous than Marshall in that game.

It sure as s**t wasn't Ladhams, Gray, Butters, Rozee, Fantasia or Motlop.

There was only one period in that game where we looked even half a chance of making a comeback, and that was when Marshall & Dixon grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and threatened to turn it back our way in the third quarter.

Three big grabs between them, and if not for a Bontempelli finger, three big goals. Yes, he shouldn't have been that close to the man on the mark, and when he fluffed it we collapsed again.

But, and here is the kicker, none of our other forwards even gave a a fifth of a yelp. Not when it counted, and not when we had a chance to right the ship.

You want Georgiades in that side? Drop Motlop. Or Fantasia. Or Butters. Or Gray. Or Rozee. Or Ladhams.

You know how many scores and score involvements we'd lose if we dropped the lot? 0 goals 2 behinds, and 11 score involvements. From 6 players.

Compared to 1 goal 1, and 6 score involvements from Hot Toddy all on his own, the player so apparently worthless that despite being in our top three scoreboard impact players in that s**t show of a game (with Wines & Dixon), he still should have been dropped for a guy with a torn calf.

At least try thinking a little bit before you post. Please.

I'd suggest you watch that game again and enlighten us as to which forward was more dangerous than Marshall in that game.

It sure as s**t wasn't Ladhams, Gray, Butters, Rozee, Fantasia or Motlop.

There was only one period in that game where we looked even half a chance of making a comeback, and that was when Marshall & Dixon grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and threatened to turn it back our way in the third quarter.

Three big grabs between them, and if not for a Bontempelli finger, three big goals. Yes, he shouldn't have been that close to the man on the mark, and when he fluffed it we collapsed again.

But, and here is the kicker, none of our other forwards even gave a a fifth of a yelp. Not when it counted, and not when we had a chance to right the ship.

You want Georgiades in that side? Drop Motlop. Or Fantasia. Or Butters. Or Gray. Or Rozee. Or Ladhams.

You know how many scores and score involvements we'd lose if we dropped the lot? 0 goals 2 behinds, and 11 score involvements. From 6 players.

Compared to 1 goal 1, and 6 score involvements from Hot Toddy all on his own, the player so apparently worthless that despite being in our top three scoreboard impact players in that s**t show of a game (with Wines & Dixon), he still should have been dropped for a guy with a torn calf.

At least try thinking a little bit before you post. Please.
Pew Pew Finger Guns GIF by BrownSugarApp

This thread is a good example of why we are still stuck with Hinkley. Marshall clearly showing that backing a young KPF in during quieter games was the right thing. Yet those who were against it, got so invested in winning the argument, instead of admitting their mistake now switch to retconning prior seasons and it was some miracle switch. He found a fortune cookie telling him 'You can kick goals!', He made a blood sacrifice to the goddess of forwards KayPeFeia, He took the red pill this preseason, after taking blue the previous ones, yada yada yada.

Why still stuck with Hinkley? Because we've got too many supporters, not to mention most of the board, CEO and President, who looking at a coach they wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole with his record, if applying for the Port coaching position, if finishing up with another club, double down on excuses and post hoc ergo proctor hoc justifications for why he's a great coach despite zero success.

What it really comes down to, IMO, is a fundamental misunderstanding on the part of too many people, on Todd, on Hinkley, on so many things in football and life in general, that admitting you were wrong is NOT a sign of stupidity or weakness, but one of intelligence and strength.

This thread is a good example of why we are still stuck with Hinkley. Marshall clearly showing that backing a young KPF in during quieter games was the right thing. Yet those who were against it, got so invested in winning the argument, instead of admitting their mistake now switch to retconning prior seasons and it was some miracle switch. He found a fortune cookie telling him 'You can kick goals!', He made a blood sacrifice to the goddess of forwards KayPeFeia, He took the red pill this preseason, after taking blue the previous ones, yada yada yada.

Why still stuck with Hinkley? Because we've got too many supporters, not to mention most of the board, CEO and President, who looking at a coach they wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole with his record, if applying for the Port coaching position, if finishing up with another club, double down on excuses and post hoc ergo proctor hoc justifications for why he's a great coach despite zero success.

What it really comes down to, IMO, is a fundamental misunderstanding on the part of too many people, on Todd, on Hinkley, on so many things in football and life in general, that admitting you were wrong is NOT a sign of stupidity or weakness, but one of intelligence and strength.

Right back at you mate.

I am sorry for suggesting that Todd's mental approach to the game, softness in contested situations, and a seemingly all round hesitance to want to be the man with the ball contributed substantially to his below average seasons up until 2021 where he had an average/below average season*. I was very obviously wrong.

I am wrong for suggesting that Todd's goalkicking accuracy which is 23% better this year than previously is has played no small part in why he is having a better season. But kudos to him. Good kicking is good football, and the rest of our forwards have been pretty s**t.

I understand now that it was somehow necessary for Todd to play every one of those games, even the below standard ones where it almost seemed as if he just didn't want to be involved in the game, especially when it came to marking contests, so he could have the season he is now having.

Because of those games he now has confidence, self belief and resilience which make him the player that he is who wants the ball to come to him inside 50, who believes he is more than a decoy for Dixon and approaches every contest believing that if he doesn't win it, it won't be for giving it a red hot go. I don't understand how Butters, Georgiades etc could have that atitude had from their first game but oh well I am wrong..

It sticks in my chest like a glowing hot ember to admit to these wrongs. But I do feel more intelligent and stronger already.

*Todd's career key stats.

View attachment 1436023

happy morton downey jr GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back