Player Watch Pick #16 (2020, match NGA bid) - Lachie Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

It looks like they are trying to work out where to play him.

At 20 years old with not much footy behind him after the injuries last year he's now playing on the ball after being a half back and occasional key defender.

Yes he made mistakes yesterday but his pace and relentless attack on the ball was great to see. He didn't get much support from his lighter framed teammates so did a lot under pressure. He deadset scared a couple of Eagles into coughing the ball up.

But he did get 24 possessions in a losing side in an unfamiliar role. And he tries to do creative things with the ball when he has a bit of space to work in.

Good move to give him dev time in the middle, is a real point of diff from our other mids. Real power , now to clean up his skills , a poor mans Petracca possibly.
Modern Dipper

Needs to get rid of those fumbles and he will be a jet
He needs to do those drills where someone rolls him the ball and he's running at it trying to pick it up cleanly and not overrun the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He screams AFL talent when playing in the SANFL. He just has extreme raw power. Seriously dangerous straight line speed, strength and hardness. As well as a booming kick.

It's tough to know where to play him long term, but honestly with the stuff we've seen at the Magpies the last couple weeks it stands to reason that half back flank with spells on ball should be the current aim, and longer term who knows. SPP was our wrecking ball, but Jones eclipses his power, and his breakaway pace is the sort of thing only the very elite have. His general skill level may stop him from reaching any elite mid level, but when you have someone with these natural characteristics you have to give it a shot and see if he can become the amazing game breaker everyone is searching for.

One of the less noticeable things I think we have been missing is representation in the air through the midfield. If you are going to kick it straight down the guts, you need people that you can trust to outmark just about anyone. Even though Westhoff/ Ebert weren't superstars, their absence has left us thinner in the air. Ebert especially would have been among the strongest marks in the competition as a midfielder. 2015-16 was bomb city from defence and constantly being under siege and the first 5 games have been the same this year. If you are going to have Rozee, Butters, etc, you still need a 6'2 guy in the centre. Would be a really good complement to some of the other young mids if he could get the fumbles right.

It looks like they are trying to work out where to play him.

At 20 years old with not much footy behind him after the injuries last year he's now playing on the ball after being a half back and occasional key defender.

Yes he made mistakes yesterday but his pace and relentless attack on the ball was great to see. He didn't get much support from his lighter framed teammates so did a lot under pressure. He deadset scared a couple of Eagles into coughing the ball up.

But he did get 24 possessions in a losing side in an unfamiliar role. And he tries to do creative things with the ball when he has a bit of space to work in.
With the natural abilities he has, we don’t have to work where to play him. It‘s just a matter of when.

He’s an A Grade talent and A Grade talents play in the midfield. You might start him in defence but unlike Butters and Rozee, he already has the physique to play midfield. The modern player has to play multiple positions so I expect to see him down back, up forward, in the guts and on the wing throughout the year. But the aim is to make a midfielder out of him.

We need him to be the midfielder SPP was meant to be.

I mostly watched the first half on the weekend and liked what Jones did through the middle. As others have said, his speed, power and aggression is a notch up from SPP. He does have good ball use skills, just his handling of the ball (ie fumbling) which will definitely improve. At the moment he’s doing everything at warp speed which is part of the reason for his fumbling.

Definite midfielder in my opinion and tbh, I’d rather play him in the midfield at SANFL level this year to develop and refine the necessary skills rather than play him as a HB/BP.

Bergman, Sinn and Jones should all be groomed as big bodied, explosive mids asap. Our HBF defensive group is locked away for the next five years with Bonner, Burton, Houston and then DBJ, Frederick (who is definite AFL material) and Burgoyne (who is developing nicely).

One of the less noticeable things I think we have been missing is representation in the air through the midfield. If you are going to kick it straight down the guts, you need people that you can trust to outmark just about anyone. Even though Westhoff/ Ebert weren't superstars, their absence has left us thinner in the air. Ebert especially would have been among the strongest marks in the competition as a midfielder. 2015-16 was bomb city from defence and constantly being under siege and the first 5 games have been the same this year. If you are going to have Rozee, Butters, etc, you still need a 6'2 guy in the centre. Would be a really good complement to some of the other young mids if he could get the fumbles right.
I do somewhat agree there. We have missed that. Though I could argue part is hinkleys gameplan and numbers make it hard. In theory we have a pretty tall midfield. It’s certainly not lacking in height now.

Ebert was great at floating across and taking marks ie if he didn’t have a man to compete with, but couldn’t mark for s**t if he was targeted, either standing under the ball or leading at it / trying to beat his man. In those cases he was horrible. But ebert knew what he was good at I suspect which helped him.

The midfielder with an overhead game on our list is clearly Bergman imo.

Tall, reads it well. Good hands. Good leap. He’s much better overhead than jones in terms of marking.

On Rockliff and Fantasia's podcast, they said Lachie Jones is designing the Indigenous jumper, and it will be released on Sunday, and then worn in 2 games after that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back