Senior 17. Brodie Kemp

Remove this Banner Ad

Additions of Newnes Martin and Betts will make selection interesting as will the return from injury of Doc Willo and Marchy

Exactly- thats the addition of 6 possibly best 22 players - all ready to go. To get in they have to obviously push 6 out. That immediately improves our bottom 6 best 22 players. That gives us immediate impact- and its all around the ground.
Add to that the accelerating improvement of our younger players that might have been fringe 22 in 2019 such as Dow, Fisher, LOB, Stocker, DC , some of which are ready for breakout years and you have a lot of congestion and juggling trying to get into the team. Forgot to mention Walsh.

Love the fact that despite all his promise and predraft hype, there is relatively little hyperbole about brodie compared to previous draftees in other years. First time that we have bigger fish to fry . Lots of other maturing players to get really excited about

Only crap teams pin their hopes on 18yo kids to deliver them success.

I like you was surprised Kemp didn’t go top 10 and rate him extremely highly. I think the slide to pick 17 was due to a few reasons:

1) Hard to compare him to King. There is a MASSIVE premium paid in the draft for KPPs and even more for KPFs. Recent examples include Brander, Todd Marshall, Luke Jackson, McCasey. Keep in mind that King kicked 8 goals 3 in one of his few TAC cup games (IIRC). Would have been battling out with Walsh for number 1 pick without the ACL.

2) Clubs are very cautious with ACLs now more than ever.

3) We lucked out because there were heaps of interstate selections in the first 16 picks (Only 5 of 16 were Vic clubs). Reckon his go home factor would have been high, especially considering he is unlikely to play seniors first year and may struggle to cement a regular spot in his second year coming off his ACL.

4) I think certain clubs got “locked” or “set on” certain players in the picks before ours. In particular Pickett to Melbourne, Weightman to dogs, Cooper Stephens to Cats.

FWIW I heard a podcast with a staff member from the WA U18 team who was raving about Kemp saying he would be the best from this draft even after the ACL. He said that every WA player he spoke to said Kemp was easily the toughest opponent they have played against. Tough, Strong, Quick, Great kick, great Mark, Clutch player. Sounds like the full package if he gets himself right.

When you break it down like that, it does make it seem much more possible for a player as highly rated as Kemp to slide down to pick 17.
Very good point about the acl playing a bigger part for an interstate club, as home sickness is much more likely to play a part if a player is rehabbing a knee and no chance of playing in year one and a low chance of playing much in year two.
Also got lucky big time with the Victorian clubs picking before us.

Melbourne having two early picks and of the view that there midfield is already set, so prioritising a ruckman and small forward

Doggies also happy with there midfield prioritised a small forward

Hawks, wanting a running defender, which was seen as a big missing piece on there list.

Cats going with the local product that could potentially contribute sooner.

The stars seemed to line up for us on this one or SOS lined them up for us.
Our midfield is going to monster opposition team in a few years time, going to be a nightmare for match ups.

OldNavy, like yourself and many others, i am surprised Kemp got to 17 on the night. I genuinely had him as my No1 on my board coming out of the Carnival. Then a week later he does his knee.

I agree with BlueJet that i can understand the wariness on pulling the trigger on a reco kid with a top pick and he didn't have as exposed form as M.King, but 17 was too much of a drop for mine. The lowest i could get him on my final board was 7(but i don't have to pull the trigger i guess). That was genuinely on draft eve with no Carlton bias. I thought Hawthorn would snap him up for sure, or if not Geelong.

The fact that they didn't, in favour of Will Day and Cooper Stephens(really), was a bit eyebrow raising imo. But a knee reco is no laughing matter. It is a big risk.

Fingers crossed, because Kemp could be a Pot o Gold player as you say.

Couldn’t believe that Kemp got past Geelong and Hawthorn either, two Victorian clubs that could have afforded to play the long game with him, seems the hawks really wanted a running defender and rated Day’s up side highly and Cats really wanted the local inside bull Stephen.
Seems absolutely bonkers in my mind, but clubs have there reason I guess.

Also had Kemp at two after champs, kid just had the whole package, 193cm agile midfielder, that can run like the wind, has a powerful explosive burst, evasiveness, good displosal, clean hands, tough and hard at the contest, good contested mark, able to play in multipul positions and the intangibles as well with football IQ leadership and an on field presence all off the charts, closest I’ve seen to a Bontempelli clone, we may have hit the jack pot TW.

Last edited:
Yeah I had him at two after champs, he just had the whole package, 193cm agile midfielder, that can run like the wind, has a powerful explosive burst, evasive, good displosal, tough and hard at the contest, good mark good footy IQ and the good intangibles as well with leadership and on field presences, closest young player I’ve seen to a Bontempelli clone, we may have hit the jack pot TW.

No Pressure!

I posted this in the training discussion thread, but this might be a better place for it...

Anyone able to repost that photo of Kemp running laps at training, where he looks like he's had 8 pre-seasons? My Essendon mates are saying that Cripps is a beast (as a compliment, you can imagine how rare that is from them), want to send them the pic of Kemp so that they know what's coming next...

Thanks in advance.

I posted this in the training discussion thread, but this might be a better place for it...

Anyone able to repost that photo of Kemp running laps at training, where he looks like he's had 8 pre-seasons? My Essendon mates are saying that Cripps is a beast (as a compliment, you can imagine how rare that is from them), want to send them the pic of Kemp so that they know what's coming next...

Thanks in advance.
1581762796055.png

Thanks in advance.
I can tell you that this week he did intervals with Plowman. Plowman would be a middle of the road runner. Kemp kept up with him for about 4-5. Then Plowman dropped him.
To be expected as he’s not been running much and is just a kid. I felt he had it in him though. I expect by the end of the year he will keep up with that standard. That’s important because he will be able to hold down a midfield spot if he can, and therefore have a lot of strings to his bow

I can tell you that this week he did intervals with Plowman. Plowman would be a middle of the road runner. Kemp kept up with him for about 4-5. Then Plowman dropped him.
To be expected as he’s not been running much and is just a kid. I felt he had it in him though. I expect by the end of the year he will keep up with that standard. That’s important because he will be able to hold down a midfield spot if he can, and therefore have a lot of strings to his bow

Although Plowman doesn't really push himself in the running at training (not his style), he's a damn good endurance runner in-game (as demonstrated by his season numbers). That's a fair effort by Kemp to stay with him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm extremely pleased we were able to get BK into the club @ 17. Quite clearly best available at that point and a well played game of chess from our recruiting team IMO.

Put as much stock into Chris Doerre's (Knightmare) ratings as you like, but he had Kemp at 3 in his Power Ratings after his terrific National Champs. I think he 'slid' for a multitude of reasons and given time, could truly become one of those 'how did that happen' draft stories.

Brodie IMO is a 3 year project, which would have put a lot of interstate clubs off (they had the majority of top 20 picks). His first year is basically a wash. He should and will be given plenty of time to recover and I wouldn't be that put off if he is rehabbed all year and played only a couple or no NB games on the back end. It is also hard enough for professionals to recover from ACLs, let alone kids and let alone one that is as physically developed and 'heavy' as Brodie is. His 2nd year is a big ? which could see him spend most of his time finding his feet in the VFL, which also coincides with just what kind of player he ends up which at this stage nobody really knows. You then have his 3rd year in which hopefully he is ready to be given some AFL game time (fingers crossed injury wise between now and then) but I think it will take that long before we will start seeing him being discussed for selection. These things are always hard to predict and you hope he has good luck with injuries and what not in that period.

I personally think a fair few certain clubs were unsure whether or not they could be that patient with a Vic kid who may play minimal games in 3 season after using a prized high end draft pick on him. We on the other hand could afford that luxury in the hope that he is a draft steal because we only had to use 17 on him. I dunno, maybe I'm well off... I am however pleased we have him. Talent and size for days and seems to be a good egg.

Couldn’t believe that Kemp got past Geelong and Hawthorn either, two Victorian clubs that could have afforded to play the long game with him, seems the hawks really wanted a running defender and rated Day’s up side highly and Cats really wanted the local inside bull Stephen.

Also had Kemp at two after champs, kid just had the whole package, 193cm agile midfielder, that can run like the wind, has a powerful explosive burst, evasiveness, good displosal, clean hands, tough and hard at the contest, good contested mark, able to play in multipul positions and the intangibles as well with football IQ leadership and an on field presence all off the charts, closest I’ve seen to a Bontempelli clone, we may have hit the jack pot TW.

If this occurs it will be interesting to see how it works...we'd have the tallest midfield in the league led by Cripps, Setterfield & Kemp.

Apparently a fairly confident type as well, which is awesome.

We've been a fairly introverted bunch in the past...when Daisy came to the club, I remember him stating that he was a little blown away how introverted we were as a group...although he did come from the 'rat pack' at Collingwood.

Either way, I like it that he's expressive and confident in himself.

Get Marchbank and Williamson on the wings and we’d have the tallest midfield in the history of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Haha good point, Walsh/Setterfield/Kemp in the guts and Marchbank/Willo on the wings...all over 190cm. That would be something.

EDIT: And of course by Walsh i meant Crippa

Last edited:
Walsh/Setterfield/Kemp in the guts and Marchbank/Willo on the wings...all over 190cm. That would be something.

Plus the biggest mid of the em all, Captain Crippa.

6 of those 7 are taller than Big Nick

o_O

SOS went from recruiting FOR the Giants to recruiting the ACTUAL giants.....

Last edited:
Plus the biggest mid of the em all, Captain Crippa.

6 of those 7 are taller than Big Nick

o_O

SOS went from recruiting FOR the Giants to recruiting the ACTUAL giants.....
Yep, but when it came to rucking, tall guys like 200 cm Len Thompson didn't really bother the greatest ruckman of all time.
Just proves how great he was and how well he used his bulk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back