"Goddess"
17 kemp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Plus finding someone who can keep up with Walsh all day!
Unfortunately am gutted to say there’s 3 guys who can keep up with the young tyrant....

So best we keep LOB, Cottrell and Eddie C on the list!

Carlton Vs Anyone next year most common observation: “why are all the opposition players doubled over???”

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Long term this is what we got for Swans not trading Papley.
Obviously Papley would have much more impact on how we would go in 2020 and 21 but as next decade moves on we gain more and more from how the cards have unfolded. Still stunned he slid all the way to pick 17 given he was probably a top 3 pick if he had not got injured. I guess it is just hard for clubs to consciously draft someone they think is really good but know they cannot get use out of him for a couple of seasons. Crippa was not much use for us for his first two years either. But once he got going, wow. This kid could be in that class too. Bloody exciting get after not getting a mature aged talent we wanted like Papley. We are now abundant in talented youth for midfield for next decade and when Marc Murphy and Ed Curnow finish up the transition should be as smooth as when Shane Crawford eased out of Hawks in his own career.

Cannot wait to see him play in 2021.

Last edited:
I can see Kemp's got talent, but do we see him as a tall defender, or something else?

How many tall defenders do we need anyway? Macreadie and Goddard and maybe even Marchbank might be on death watch.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
I can see Kemp's got talent, but do we see him as a tall defender, or something else?
Big bodied midfielder is what he looks set for. Looks quicker than Crippa of similar size. Exciting talent to get and like Kouta could, can pinch hit up forward or back if a game needs it at some point. I still pinching myself we got him. I did not even think he might last to pick 9. What a beautiful turn of events to get him now.

Big bodied midfielder is what he looks set for. Looks quicker than Crippa of similar size. Exciting talent to get and like Kouta could, can pinch hit up forward or back if a game needs it at some point. I still pinching myself we got him. I did not even think he might last to pick 9. What a beautiful turn of events to get him now.
That's what I want to hear. I hope that pans out.

Lace_Out

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
I have a few champs games and whatever else was on foxtel throughout the year.

What game was his best??
Keen to have a looksy.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

BigFrizz36

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton

How many tall defenders do we need anyway? Macreadie and Goddard and maybe even Marchbank might be on death watch.
He was interviewed on fox after being drafted and was very definite that he saw himself as a midfielder.
Him and cripps will cause nightmares when they are resting though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only guessing but wouldn't surprise me if the team was happy with either Kemp or Cooper Stephens and knew they would get one of them

It was Kemp two months ago, it was Kemp last month and it was Kemp this week.
I just don't know how SOS was able to hold out the way he did. Not shy of taking a risk based on research and maybe a little bit of a gut feel.

He was interviewed on fox after being drafted and was very definite that he saw himself as a midfielder.
Him and cripps will cause nightmares when they are resting though.

Probably add Setterfield there also. Not sure how all three will co-exist, but they're quality and we'll find a way.

Nov 9, 2007
The honorable loss factory
AFL Club
Carlton
Imagine having two big freak mid units like Cripps and Kemp in the one team.

Wait, we don't have to imagine anymore...

Just quietly will setterfield is only 1-2 cm shorter than Cripps and could have been no1 in his draft year but for injuries and the gws academy.

3 huge mids, Cripps would be the slowest of the three. Should be difficult to match up on.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Imagine having two big freak mid units like Cripps and Kemp in the one team.

Wait, we don't have to imagine anymore...

We still will for about 18 months.
In any case I not concerned with waiting at all. Very excited to see how Stocker, Kennedy and others go before Kemp comes on the scene near seniors. By then I reckon Stocker shorter, but strong presence will be starting to show out. Hopefully Dow fills out a bit in same time. We got serious depth for midfield now for many many seasons to come. We not had as much depth in talent for middle since early 1980's.... Very exciting decade coming up to be a Blues fan. If only we could keep SOS managing the salary cap and age profile for many years to come a dynasty is there for the making.

And sounds like Adelaide took the safe route - wanted McAsey, could have had him at 9 and got something else from us in return, but spooked and took him with the early pick. No chance Freo were after McAsey, was there.
Spot on.
Adelaide blinked badly.
And he'll probably ask for a trade back to Vic in a few years as well.

TheKITC

Cancelled
Mar 7, 2009
The Cupboard
AFL Club
Carlton
This is Knightmares Power Ranking entry after the carnival this year...

4. Brodie Kemp
Best position:
Inside midfield/utility
Height, weight: 192cm, 82kg
Recruited from: Bendigo Pioneers
Projected draft range: 3-20
Plays like: Marcus Bontempelli
June Rankings: 6
Rationale: Among the midfielders with the greatest upside in the pool. Clean ball winner with unbelievable acceleration with ball in hand. Big plays in big moments during the Under-18 Championships see Kemp return to 4th position
Strengths: Versatility to impact games in any position other than ruck, acceleration, line breaker, movement and evasion through traffic, ground ball winner, intercept marking, reading of the ball in flight, aerial marking, one-on-one marking, leadup marking, contested marking, marking forward of centre, hurt factor by foot, vision, stands up tallest in the big moments
Weaknesses: Needs to find more of the ball to become a top-tier midfielder, consistency over four quarters.

Even after his injury, Kemp was still 5th in the updated rankings a few days out from the draft. Obviously it's one opinion, but he's a pretty astute judge with runs on the board (works for ESPN).

Get this kids body right and could genuinely be worth every bit of a top 5 selection, which is ironic given how we got him by originally trading out what ended up being pick 4.

If he can forge a career and live up to his potential, Stocker and Philp would be legit freebies. SOS and co. deserve plenty of credit, even at this early stage IMO.

Lace_Out

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Anyone else notice he seems to have a bit of a chip on his shoulder in the vids put up by the club so far?
I don't mind a bit of confidence, so long as it's respectful.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back