Senior 17. Brodie Kemp

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah half back would be a good for his development, once he’s closer to the finished product, suspect he could be the unicorn of the AFL these days, the 192cm+ elite level midfielder that can dominate the clearances and contested ball, then also go forward and dominate, the Fyfe Bont Cripps prototype.
yeah, half back for maybe 15 to 20 games. not 50 or more that seemed to be wasted on Gibbs. We waited way too long before putting Gibbs in midfield to make most of his ability.

Who do we thank for that?
Collective mindset of coaching group in first half of his career. I think he had Pagan, Ratten and Malthouse for much of that time. Was slow to see they had wasted too much time out of midfield.

how exciting to have a beast like kemp locked away prepping for a late season release? his first significant piece of play in the number 17 will no doubt have me turning to hbf, meb and the two shmoofs with a "what the fu** just happened?" look on my face.............

It’s like we’ve added another top 5 pick to our stable, this ones a 193cm midfield beast with pace, composure, good disposal, versatility and also has the intangibles, like on field presence and leadership.

I do have this lingering doubt, due to the fact that Kemp went from top three prospect before the acl, all the way down to pick 17.
Max King did an ACL last year and it didn’t stop him from being taken at pick 4.
Some clubs past on Kemp muiltpul times, why ??? when clubs are all looking for that highly talented 190cm+ Mid, they are just as rare as elite young key forwards, but for some reason no club with a pick before us was willing to take him, Kemp sliding all the way to us, just seems kinda to good to be true, to top it all off clubs have let him slip through to us, we already have Cripps 194cm and Setterfield 191cm in our midfield, if Kemp 193cm comes good, how the hell do the opposition match up against that midfield in a few years time.

Im not too worried, it happens all the time- clubs get tunnel vision at draft time and let the negatives blind them to a player's strengths. Remember Grundy sliding from top 3 to 18, Hurn, Worpel and Darling a few other examples that come to mind.

When it comes to injuries, It's not surprising clubs are cautious using high draft picks on kids with serious injuries - see Selwood, Burton and Lever. Clubs with the really high draft picks are usually the ones least willing to take the risk, so aomeone ends up grabbing a bargain with the slider which hopefully is what Kemp proves to be...

It’s like we’ve added another top 5 pick to our stable, this ones a 193cm midfield beast with pace, composure, good disposal, versatility and also has the intangibles, like on field presence and leadership.

I do have this lingering doubt, due to the fact that Kemp went from top three prospect before the acl, all the way down to pick 17.
Max King did an ACL last year and it didn’t stop him from being taken at pick 4.
Some clubs past on Kemp muiltpul times, why ??? when clubs are all looking for that highly talented 190cm+ Mid, they are just as rare as elite young key forwards, but for some reason no club with a pick before us was willing to take him, Kemp sliding all the way to us, just seems kinda to good to be true, to top it all off clubs have let him slip through to us, we already have Cripps 194cm and Setterfield 191cm in our midfield, if Kemp 193cm comes good, how the hell do the opposition match up against that midfield in a few years time.
King had exposed form as a dominant KPF which are obviously quite rare.
Kemp carries question marks not only due to his knee but also with regards to what position that he'll play at AFL level (ie will he become a mid or is he a hff/hbf) - I'm quite bullish on his ability but can certainly understand why others have opted for other alternatives.
Personally, I can see significant upside in BK and feel that given the outlay that any risk associated with his selection is well worth it, particularly given others selected around the mark also carried question marks but perhaps without the same sort of potential.

Last edited:
King had exposed form as a dominate KPF which are obviously quite rare.
Kemp carries question marks not only due to his knee but also with regards to what position that he'll play at AFL level (ie will he become a mid or is he a hff/hbf) - I'm quite bullish on his ability but can certainly understand why others have opted for other alternatives.
Personally, I can see significant upside in BK and feel that given the outlay that any risk associated with his selection is well worth it, particularly given others selected around the mark also carried question marks but perhaps without the same sort of potential.

I get that King had runs on the board and was seen as a potential number one pick, but an elite 193cm midfield beast that can genuinely go forward and be a threat are probably just as rare, most teams have a 185-190cm midfielder, but mids that are closer to the 195cm mark like Cripps 194cm Fyfe 193cm Bont 193cm are extremely rare.
Bont hadn’t produced much as a midfielder in his draft year, IIRC he averaged 13 possessions at u18 champs, but he had the right skill set to suggest that he would transition into a midfielder, Kemp actually has some elite level production as a midfielder.
Surely we weren’t the only club that viewed kemp as a midfielder, the attributes Kemp has are exactly what makes a good midfielder and the fact he so versatile, only adds to his value IMO
How he didn’t go top 10 is staggering to me, the fact he red shirts year one and doesn’t help a team on field for another year, should mean very little, when you are potentially adding a Bontempeli/Cripps type midfielder that you could potentially build a midfield around.
Only reason I can come up with for him sliding so far are, the acl is really bad or may be he made interstate clubs aware he wouldn’t hang around past his first contract, come to think of it don’t really remember him being linked to any of the interstate clubs.

I get that King had runs on the board and was seen as a potential number one pick, but an elite 193cm midfield beast that can genuinely go forward and be a threat are probably just as rare, most teams have a 185-190cm midfielder, but mids that are closer to the 195cm mark like Cripps 194cm Fyfe 193cm Bont 193cm are extremely rare.
Bont hadn’t produced much as a midfielder in his draft year, IIRC he averaged 13 possessions at u18 champs, but he had the right skill set to suggest that he would transition into a midfielder, Kemp actually has some elite level production as a midfielder.
Surely we weren’t the only club that viewed kemp as a midfielder, the attributes Kemp has are exactly what makes a good midfielder and the fact he so versatile, only adds to his value IMO
How he didn’t go top 10 is staggering to me, the fact he red shirts year one and doesn’t help a team on field for another year, should mean very little, when you are potentially adding a Bontempeli/Cripps type midfielder that you could potentially build a midfield around.
Only reason I can come up with for him sliding so far are, the acl is really bad or may be he made interstate clubs aware he wouldn’t hang around past his first contract, come to think of it don’t really remember him being linked to any of the interstate clubs.

OldNavy, like yourself and many others, i am surprised Kemp got to 17 on the night. I genuinely had him as my No1 on my board coming out of the Carnival. Then a week later he does his knee.

I agree with BlueJet that i can understand the wariness on pulling the trigger on a reco kid with a top pick and he didn't have as exposed form as M.King, but 17 was too much of a drop for mine. The lowest i could get him on my final board was 7(but i don't have to pull the trigger i guess). That was genuinely on draft eve with no Carlton bias. I thought Hawthorn would snap him up for sure, or if not Geelong.

The fact that they didn't, in favour of Will Day and Cooper Stephens(really), was a bit eyebrow raising imo. But a knee reco is no laughing matter. It is a big risk.

Fingers crossed, because Kemp could be a Pot o Gold player as you say.

I like you was surprised Kemp didn’t go top 10 and rate him extremely highly. I think the slide to pick 17 was due to a few reasons:

1) Hard to compare him to King. There is a MASSIVE premium paid in the draft for KPPs and even more for KPFs. Recent examples include Brander, Todd Marshall, Luke Jackson, McCasey. Keep in mind that King kicked 8 goals 3 in one of his few TAC cup games (IIRC). Would have been battling out with Walsh for number 1 pick without the ACL.

2) Clubs are very cautious with ACLs now more than ever.

3) We lucked out because there were heaps of interstate selections in the first 16 picks (Only 5 of 16 were Vic clubs). Reckon his go home factor would have been high, especially considering he is unlikely to play seniors first year and may struggle to cement a regular spot in his second year coming off his ACL.

4) I think certain clubs got “locked” or “set on” certain players in the picks before ours. In particular Pickett to Melbourne, Weightman to dogs, Cooper Stephens to Cats.

FWIW I heard a podcast with a staff member from the WA U18 team who was raving about Kemp saying he would be the best from this draft even after the ACL. He said that every WA player he spoke to said Kemp was easily the toughest opponent they have played against. Tough, Strong, Quick, Great kick, great Mark, Clutch player. Sounds like the full package if he gets himself right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

love reading genuine opinion before he was taken by us and becomes a broken down hack 10 clubs passed on............
To be fair, we passed on him the first time

Love the fact that despite all his promise and predraft hype, there is relatively little hyperbole about brodie compared to previous draftees in other years. First time that we have bigger fish to fry . Lots of other maturing players to get really excited about
Spot on. I tried doing a best 22 side for rnd 1 and am finding it very difficult. I assume at this stage none of the first years will feature (unlike other years). Additions of Newnes Martin and Betts will make selection interesting as will the return from injury of Doc Willo and Marchy (although Doc obviously steps straight back in). Then there are the young ones who need to take the next step. Nice dilemma to have.

Cool - what are your thoughts on Kemp though?
how exciting to have a beast like kemp locked away prepping for a late season release? his first significant piece of play in the number 17 will no doubt have me turning to hbf, meb and the two shmoofs with a "what the fu** just happened?" look on my face.............

Remove this Banner Ad

Back