Player Watch Pick #18 (2016) - Sam Powell-Pepper

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah just bloody journos. Janus said he couldn't win the medal because he gave away too many frees to get the top votes, but Dermie had no hesitation giving him the 3 votes. Footballers v journos see the game differently.

I love watching SPP play and love what he brings to the team but there's no doubt that at this point in time he's a bit of a 'messy' player - gives away free kicks, blazes away with his kicking, goes in so hard at the contest that he can't control the ball properly, etc.

I had him in our best today but there's so much scope for improvement in his game. I hope he's receiving the coaching he needs to go from being a good player to a great player.

Sam was good but i also found him a little fumbly around the ball and also his decision making, the conditions didnt help but i think that is a general fault of his and if he can improve that he will be awesome

He has to get at least a week.

The AFL has been incredibly clear that ANY contact with an umpire is a week off minimum. They have held this position for years and never wavered. ITS ABSOLUTELY CLEAR. CRYSTAL CLEAR.
16 weeks! get Smitho on it

He has to get at least a week.

The AFL has been incredibly clear that ANY contact with an umpire is a week off minimum. They have held this position for years and never wavered. ITS ABSOLUTELY CLEAR. CRYSTAL CLEAR.
Im sure if he is sighted the SANFL will make sure he gets the norm for a port player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am sure everyone is joking when there refer to SPP getting sighted for having an umpire run sideways into him!

I was surprised, and slightly perturbed, at his subsequent hand slap with the said umpire though! On second viewing, it's the umpire who extends his hand out to SPP first, so in effect he initiates the contract. A typical 20yo action, but still think it was a dicey move though.

I think it's funny people think SPP will get cited when the umpire was unsighted ;)

Continued his rampage yesterday. As I mentioned in the review thread he was the freaking Terminator.

He might be a bit rough around the edges now but his physicality is so important, he works hard and finds the ball and he does important and instinctive things like bicycle kick goals and smashing long range goals in difficult conditions. Players with that skill set can develop into stars.

I think it's funny people think SPP will get cited when the umpire was unsighted ;)

Continued his rampage yesterday. As I mentioned in the review thread he was the freaking Terminator.

He might be a bit rough around the edges now but his physicality is so important, he works hard and finds the ball and he does important and instinctive things like bicycle kick goals and smashing long range goals in difficult conditions. Players with that skill set can develop into stars.
Yep the rough around the edges & reckless part of him is what I love sure he'll get smarter as he gets more experience but actively trying to curb that side of him would be basically vanillarisation madness if he gives away a few frees so be it.. uncontrolled beast please

Totally agree with all of the above. Dont curb his natural aggression, just keep focusing him on continuing to improve his game, his skills, and decision making. He will continue to level out and learn to channel his aggression as he matures. He is a force of nature though, and impacted yesterday's game from start to finish! No coincidence that we remain unbeaten when he plays!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back