Player Watch Pick #18 (2016) - Sam Powell-Pepper

Remove this Banner Ad

Powell-Pepper has to spend more time forward because Wines demonstrated a completely inability to play forward last year.

My personal theory is that Wines will spend most of his time in the middle and everyone else will slot around him.

Powell Peppers accuracy isn't that much bloody better. I swear Hinkley wants us to fail.

Wines is actually getting in the way of Boak and SPP.
Probably why we were looking at trading SPP for the 'right price' because our list manager/coach was hell bent in keeping Wines. Until Wines tried to help them by putting a bomb under the club to get out.

It will be easier to judge your comment at the end of this season rather than before it has begun.
The realisation appears to be we can't play SPP and Wines in the guts at the same time too often. The problem is that neither can play forward. Both are terrible kicks at goal- Wines from set shots and SPP on the run. Wines is actually ok from a snap and SPP ok from a set shot.

Despite the emotional tide of opinion here, Wines is the far better inside bull. That means, SPP either has to score goals or he will find himself in the Maggies and up for trade.

His problem is fixable. On the run, he is a "kick and hope" player. He will occasionally jag one from outside 50 (as in his debut in Sydney) but these occasional highlights only hide the flaws. He doesn't steady when inside 50 and has a tendency to kick across his body, even when he could straighten. This much is fixable.

You don't see him have many snaps or shots from close to goal. I suspect that he is a tad slow over the first 5-10 metres. He is not slow when he gets going, but it just takes a bit to get him going. This is like the opposite of Eddie Betts. Most great goal sneaks are quick off the mark.

The irony is, if he could improve his pace off the mark, he would not only get more goals up forward, he then could play more with Ollie in the midfield and he wouldn't need to be up forward as much.

Despite the emotional tide of opinion here, Wines is the far better inside bull. That means, SPP either has to score goals or he will find himself in the Maggies and up for trade.
I'd rather have SPP + a heap of cap space to use on the best tall key defender possible to carry our backline instead of shafting SPP, trading him, then getting hit with a Wines trade request anyway.

Here's an interesting comparison:

SPP has scored 31.45 in 57 games- 0.54 goals per game, 1.33 shots per game, accuracy 40.7%
Wines 63.67 in 141 games- 0.45 goals per game, 0.92 shots per game, accuracy 48.5%

Rockliff (at Brisbane)- 81.54 in 154 games- 0.53 goals per game, 0.88 shots per game, accuracy 60%
Rockliff (at Port)- 9.7 in 36 games- 0.25 goals per game, 0.44 shots per game, accuracy 56%

When we recruited Rockliff, the promise was to use him up forward much more. He was a U18 goal machine. That has not reaped any dividends yet.

Voss is spot on in stating that SPP gets a lot of shots at goal. Fix the accuracy and we finally get the midfielder who hits the scoreboard when resting forward we really need. One of these boys has to step up into this role.

Here's an interesting comparison:

SPP has scored 31.45 in 57 games- 0.54 goals per game, 1.33 shots per game, accuracy 40.7%
Wines 63.67 in 141 games- 0.45 goals per game, 0.92 shots per game, accuracy 48.5%

Rockliff (at Brisbane)- 81.54 in 154 games- 0.53 goals per game, 0.88 shots per game, accuracy 60%
Rockliff (at Port)- 9.7 in 36 games- 0.25 goals per game, 0.44 shots per game, accuracy 56%

When we recruited Rockliff, the promise was to use him up forward much more. He was a U18 goal machine. That has not reaped any dividends yet.

Voss is spot on in stating that SPP gets a lot of shots at goal. Fix the accuracy and we finally get the midfielder who hits the scoreboard when resting forward we really need. One of these boys has to step up into this role.
Or all in 2 years will be retired or traded.

Here we go again.

hinkley trying to reinvent the wheel despite it failing every time.

spp is a mid, has had his best games as a mid, needs to develop as a mid, we need a big fast strong ball winning mid especially after wines leaves

= Hinkley wants to waste a year playing him as a forward.

Playing spp in stints as a forward as we rotate the midfield would be fine. It would actually be great. But he should be groomed as a mid first. Yet another * up in the long list of this coaching group.

Here we go again.

hinkley trying to reinvent the wheel despite it failing every time.

spp is a mid, has had his best games as a mid, needs to develop as a mid, we need a big fast strong ball winning mid especially after wines leaves

= Hinkley wants to waste a year playing him as a forward.

Playing spp in stints as a forward as we rotate the midfield would be fine. It would actually be great. But he should be groomed as a mid first. Yet another fu** up in the long list of this coaching group.

Ebert forward worked, Watts back worked (for the two games we saw), Houston in the mids worked............

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ebert forward worked, Watts back worked (for the two games we saw), Houston in the mids worked............

boak forward failed
Motlop as a centre mid failed
Ryder as a forward 2nd ruck failed (twice)
Brad Ebert as a centre square mid for a full season (when his best play was as a quasi running outside/inside role) while we played wines and Rockliff failed
Sam gray as a forward failed
Justin westhoff as a kpf when his best play has always been as a flanker/wing/loose player failed (multiple times)
Jackson Trengove as a forward failed
Then there’s been bizarre role choices for incoming players like jack Trengove and Sutcliffe that baffle.
and the list probably goes on.

as for brad Ebert forward as a win I’ve got so many problems with that

1. he’s been effectively useless on our list since 2014. Taking years to make some sort of a move isn’t a win

2. he kicked something like 13 goals at an average clip. He was not poor but he certainly wasn’t good either.

3. Lack of proper forwards who can play forward in a structure has been our biggest issue in the hinkley era. Playing Ebert, a solid guy who at the most competes doesn’t come close to fixing that problem.

It’s actually more of the same ie they don’t rate forwards as an important position and think anyone can play there.

I’m not giving them points for that Ebert move.

it’s impossible to give them any kind of concession on what we’ve gotten from watts

and yes, Houston as a midfielder looks a great move. I think it’s a move that 17 other coaches would have made though, but yeah.

The best bit was Voss stating that you need someone in the forward like who can compete when out numbered.

In our game plan? No s**t!!

Imagine if the solution was to actually play some forwards though...

Remember how we are copying Richmond....

They already had Riewolt and recruited Lynch.

Remember how we were copying Sydney?

They recruited Buddy and Tippet (just to name a few).

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah right, fix the accuracy. How many players have we said that about over the past few years? Identifying the problems and fixing them are not things that Ken & Co excel at.

it’s almost like they identify what aren’t the problems, then work out how to make them a problem

Remember how we are copying Richmond....

Remember how we were copying Sydney?

We are only copying the bits that don't work like hoping that if we hang on to a coach long enough we will eventually win a flag and half-captains.

SPP has better tools than Wines if you ask me but I wouldn't be surprised if they are both traded.

Hey look I've got no problem with SSP moving up forward, really I don't, but if it's only for the sake of giving Wines some space then you may as well not have him on the list at all. Even without him Wines still needs to compete with Boak, Gray and Rockliff. Its basically either one or the other, and the club will have to choose.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back