Player Watch Pick #18 (2016) - Sam Powell-Pepper

Remove this Banner Ad

The only thought I had when Monty said AFL was off the table was it wasn't a consideration as he wasn't ready yet.

Can't believe the level of over-think going on. Coaches aren't going to send us coded messages. They aren't Q.

The only thought I had when Monty said AFL was off the table was it wasn't a consideration as he wasn't ready yet.

Can't believe the level of over-think going on. Coaches aren't going to send us coded messages. They aren't Q.

Fair enough. The phrase seemed odd to me.

It’s still ok to claim he’s a sex pest without any evidence though, right?

That sounds like something that someone who doesn't want us to believe would say.

Fair enough. The phrase seemed odd to me.

It’s still ok to claim he’s a sex pest without any evidence though, right?

I wouldn't use that term but he was suspended by the AFL over inappropriate behaviour toward a young woman and it's not as if everybody on this site is above hyperbole.

It was well publicised and he should have and seems to have learned that behaviour was not acceptable. There has been no suggestion of any further unwanted behaviour in that regard.

I wouldn't use that term but he was suspended by the AFL over inappropriate behaviour toward a young woman and it's not as if everybody on this site is above hyperbole.

It was well publicised and he should have and seems to have learned that behaviour was not acceptable. There has been no suggestion of any further unwanted behaviour in that regard.
Lets face it, alcohol was the root of his problem then, as it is now. He is not a loner here! This is a big problem across the league & with young men in general, so he is getting the assistance he needs. Lets hope he takes the hand of opportunity offered him, he has a wonderful footy future ahead of him if he can knuckle down and beat the booze!

Dont stuff it up Sam!

At the time, SPP was given a one month ban by the club for breaking curfew and alcohol rules. Then, seemingly, the AFL came along on their dirty white horse trying to make out that they have women’s interest at heart by giving him one more week ban for conduct unbecoming a player for intoxicated behaviour and for making an inappropriate contact with a female. The latter part was a case of guilty until proven innocent, no basis for it, PROVEN to be wrong and in my view THE AFL SHOULD HAVE BEEN SUED FOR SLANDER. So please put things into perspective.

AND as a follow up, the AFL at the time stated that there was no suggestion of indecent or sexual assault, so the issue was he made inappropriate contact with a woman, whatever that is.

Last edited:
At the time, SPP was given a one month ban by the club for breaking curfew and alcohol rules. Then, seemingly, the AFL came along on their dirty white horse trying to make out that they have women’s interest at heart by giving him one more week ban for conduct unbecoming a player for intoxicated behaviour and for making an inappropriate contact with a female. The latter part was a case of guilty until proven innocent, no basis for it, PROVEN to be wrong and in my view THE AFL SHOULD HAVE BEEN SUED FOR SLANDER. So please put things into perspective.

AND as a follow up, the AFL at the time stated that there was no suggestion of indecent or sexual assault, so the issue was he made inappropriate contact with a woman, whatever that is.
Yep, when the AFL Integrity Office realized SPP was innocent, they didn't know what to do:

– Oh... That's a first! What should we do, then?!
– Well, he can't be innocent, can he? He is LYING to us. There is no evidence, so he should come forward and confess.
– Indeed! We came to help, and he lied to us. What bloody b*st*rd!
– This is a great opportunity for us. We need to show we are the 'good guys'!
– Of course we are! What do you suggest?
– Let's punish this Indigenous West Australian who plays for a South Australian team. That will show everybody our good intent!
– That's perfect!

Last edited:

Not trying to stir the pot, but how was he proven innocent in the nightclub incident?

I don't remember hearing anything, just that no charges were pressed or something

Not trying to stir the pot, but how was he proven innocent in the nightclub incident?

I don't remember hearing anything, just that no charges were pressed or something
Not that he was proven innocent, but he was punished without being proved guilty. On the contrary, the more was investigated, the weaker became the allegations. Nonetheless, the AFL stepped in and gave him a three-week suspension.

I'm not saying that the girl was lying. She could really believe in what she was saying. She could be wrong about the facts, though.

Not that he was proven innocent, but he was punished without being proved guilty. On the contrary, the more was investigated, the weaker became the allegations. Nonetheless, the AFL stepped in and gave him a three-week suspension.

I'm not saying that the girl was lying. She could really believe in what she was saying. She could be wrong about the facts, though.
The weight of anecdotal evidence and hearsay about SPP has continued though.. facts seem pretty light on.

I just don't think we should tootle our collective trumpets about that particular incident

On balance of probabilities I'd say he probably did do some stuff, which no doubt still happens every single night in every nightclub... Doesn't make it ok though

April 2018 was when this "incident" occurred. Three full years ago. And we're only talking about it because someone who noone is actually sure is a troll brought it up.
Embarrassing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

have none of you met someone queer in your boring miserable cishet lives?

anyway, i have seen enough in this thread to withdraw my support of SPP, if you haven’t then good for you. I’m not here to argue it. I’m just stating my opinion, and if it offends you the ignore button is right there.

Nothing I posted was out of order and the post was in perspective. I never said anything about sexual assault, only that inappropriate contact was made which was the finding of the AFL Integrity Unit. Port accepted the decision and Sam apologised to the woman for making her feel uncomfortable in a follow up statement.

The club initially gave him a one week ban and the AFL added a week to the two weeks he missed while the investigation was ongoing.

Port's anger was directed at Channel 7 for using much more accusatory and emotive language when framing their reports and that should never be forgotten.

Nothing I posted was out of order and the post was in perspective. I never said anything about sexual assault, only that inappropriate contact ......
"inappropriate contact"

I still shake my head at this expression ..... Doesnt that cover 99% all all contact made in a nightclub on Hindley Street at 1.30am in the morning?

"inappropriate contact"

I still shake my head at this expression ..... Doesnt that cover 99% all all contact made in a nightclub on Hindley Street at 1.30am in the morning?

Doesn't make it right. Keith Thomas said he had viewed security footage from outside the night club and acknowledged inappropriate contact took place.

Sam acknowledged that, apologised and there doesn't appear to have been any further incidents of this nature.

Doesn't make it right. Keith Thomas said he had viewed security footage from outside the night club and acknowledged inappropriate contact took place.

Sam acknowledged that, apologised and there doesn't appear to have been any further incidents of this nature.
I didnt say it was right ... Not much "right" stuff happens in Hindley Street at 1.30am. That would have to be number 1 on the list of "avoids" for all new draftees to the club.

I didnt say it was right ... Not much "right" stuff happens in Hindley Street at 1.30am. That would have to be number 1 on the list of "avoids" for all new draftees to the club.

I know you didn't and I wasn't trying to call you out or anything. But the minute those statements are made, it normalises behaviour that shouldn't be accepted.

The fact that the behaviour in this instance continued outside the nightclub raises the level of concern to the point that the club and AFL became involved.

have none of you met someone queer in your boring miserable cishet lives?

anyway, i have seen enough in this thread to withdraw my support of SPP, if you haven’t then good for you. I’m not here to argue it. I’m just stating my opinion, and if it offends you the ignore button is right there.

A young chap with alcohol cash and idiot mates made a mistake. Now if he hadn’t learned from that and had repeated incidences of this behaviour you would be right in withdrawing your support as you put it and the club would be right in sacking him.

Can people not * up in your world or is it one mistake and off to the gulag?

He isn’t I believe a s**t person he did a s**t thing. Now, as a relatively young person yourself you would have friends who have done stupid things growing up, is every single mistake they made unforgivable and did you withdraw your support of them? You would operate in a very very small circle of friends if that’s the case as perfection must be a prerequisite of friendship to you.

I know you didn't and I wasn't trying to call you out or anything. But the minute those statements are made, it normalises behaviour that shouldn't be accepted.

The fact that the behaviour in this instance continued outside the nightclub raises the level of concern to the point that the club and AFL became involved.
We all know he was drunk and "inappropriate" ... the issue then is that he was a] a high-profile person, and b] a Port Adelaide person. So his stupid, drunken conduct became a capital offence. What happened next by the Adelaide media was beyond all reasonableness. IMO from this stems much of the defense of Sam - Not defending his actions per-se, but the posse-mentality that attempted to hang him afterwards.

No excuses as to his conduct though, he has to get it right from here or he wont be on our list next year I imagine.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back