Player Watch Pick #18 (2016) - Sam Powell-Pepper

Remove this Banner Ad

To do something wrong, it is not necessarily punishable; and, when it is, it varies the size of the punishment.

Could SPP have made something wrong? Absolutely. Was the penalty proportional? Most probably not. That’s the discussion.

To do something wrong, it is not necessarily punishable; and, when it is, it varies the size of the punishment.

Could SPP have made something wrong? Absolutely. Was the penalty proportional? Most probably not. That’s the discussion.

You cant discuss proportionality without knowing exactly what he did. We don't know that and never will.

Port didn't dispute the penalty, but they did call out 7s reporting that set the narrative.

You cant discuss proportionality without knowing exactly what he did. We don't know that and never will.

Port didn't dispute the penalty, but they did call out 7s reporting that set the narrative.

I know exactly what he did. read it on the crows board. bring back capital punishment they should.

Lets face it, alcohol was the root of his problem then, as it is now. He is not a loner here! This is a big problem across the league & with young men in general, so he is getting the assistance he needs. Lets hope he takes the hand of opportunity offered him, he has a wonderful footy future ahead of him if he can knuckle down and beat the booze!

Dont stuff it up Sam!

for some "one beer is too many, 100 beers not enough".

The pathways are clear for SPP now.......don't drink

It's not proportional because he's a public figure. The average person isn't having their name dragged through the mud publicly three years later.

The fact that he was punished for “something” weights in SPP’s favor. Maybe he deserved that, but procedure matters. He couldn’t have been punished the way he did without a proper procedure.

Either it was a relevant incident, and the AFL should have followed the standard procedure for such a case, before laying out the penalty; or it wasn’t, and the penalty was too harsh. Port tried to reach an acceptable middle ground. The league, however, overstepped and made everything worse.

obviously i believe he has repeated this behaviour.

a football player is not my friend, i treat my friends very differently to some random stranger. i also don’t consider repeatedly harming others a “mistake”, particularly if its thru sexual predation.

I unfortunately have had such sex pests as friends, and I know the world in a way I hope you never do. I have many friends who have likewise had to bear the trauma given to them by the drunken men who make mistakes. It takes a devastating and long lasting toll to have your autonomy and worth as a person taken from you and there will never be justice.

if i am wrong about this it has no matter, i am outnumbered enormously on this website alone by those that would give whatever they can to support a footballer. I am not looking to start a witch hunt in any case, I just want those hurt out there to understand I will always take their side.

what makes u say that? and thats forgetting that from all the cameras and witnesses etc nothing happened the first time?
You cant just drag someones name through the mud with no proof apart from sitting behind a keyboard being anonymous

obviously i believe he has repeated this behaviour.
You are entitled to believe it. You aren’t entitled to judge SPP based on your belief, though.

People are protected against defamation in both South Australia and Victoria (I checked it: “in 2006... Australia’s States and Territories adopted uniform defamation legislation”). Believing something, knowing something, and being able to prove something are very different things.

We must be careful with that. It’s for our own sake. No one likes to be in the other end of it.

Yeah this has gone to the point of no return. We're okay with inventing accusations here?

what makes u say that? and thats forgetting that from all the cameras and witnesses etc nothing happened the first time?
You cant just drag someones name through the mud with no proof apart from sitting behind a keyboard being anonymous

you are witnessing tumblr cancel culture 2021 invade our forum, i never thought i'd see the day to be honest

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah this has gone to the point of no return. We're okay with inventing accusations here?

As long as we don't discuss tables, we should be good.

It's not proportional because he's a public figure. The average person isn't having their name dragged through the mud publicly three years later.

That's another discussion. You can say that about most people in the public eye who transgress.

We can't judge the penalty the AFL handed down as proportional without knowing the what actually happened.

That's another discussion. You can say that about most people in the public eye who transgress.

We can't judge the penalty the AFL handed down as proportional without knowing the what actually happened.
Yet blokes on actual sexual assault charges are allowed to run around.

Last edited:

You can't say nothing happened the first time. Something happened and it was acknowledged by Keith Thomas in his public statement.

However it was not sexual assault as framed by Channel 7 reporting.

So we come to the finding and the term inappropriate touching.

We’ve accepted the finding. We accept that inappropriate touching is a matter of personal opinion and it’s subjective and I don’t know that it’s respectful to actually delve into that too greatly, other than to say that the evidence that we have seen shows clearly and distinctly, as does the finding from the AFL, that that touching was a long long way away from sexual assault.

https://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/n...-statement-on-sam-powell-pepper-investigation

Anyway if Sam plays this week it will be against South Adelaide at Noarlunga.

Hopefully the game will be televised.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back