Player Watch Pick #18 (2016) - Sam Powell-Pepper

Remove this Banner Ad

I was worried that whatever Sam's pre-season issues were were going to derail his season and career. So glad that's all but forgotten now.
Hasn't put a foot wrong since returning to the team. He brings consistent effort and toughness every game that we take for granted.

Last edited:

he's so much more explosive than Ollie coming out of packs, Ollie can get the footy in the pack but he cant use his strength to get the ball outside of the pack. Its a point of difference not many players have, much like Dangerfield does for geelong

Spent a lot of time at HF last night. Might have had his role redefined.

Think the club is trying to get back to doing more of last year and keeping the ball inside our 50 and our half.

Last edited:
Was fantastic last night. I saw in him the player I was certain he’d become when we drafted him. He’s only what, 23? Plenty of time ahead of him to hit his prime and become a superstar of the comp.

His first quarter was Judd like. Explosive, super clean and moving through traffic and executing skills like everyone else is in slow motion.

Him and Amon coming out with a bang in the first quarter was brilliant for Indigenous Round.

If he could impose himself on games like that more often, he could be anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The key thing for me was he was keeping his feet rapt for the lad let's just hope he can keep on the rails.

What was the sledge?
Can’t remember word for word, I think it was something about him being a one season wonder and he’d be out of the system after 3. Something like that.

Can’t remember word for word, I think it was something about him being a one season wonder and he’d be out of the system after 3. Something like that.

Nice supportive words for a young indigenous player from a high profile champion.

I like Fyfe less and less as the years go by.

SPP will never last as long as Nat Fyfe's hairstyle. It must be 30 years out of fashion.

Even Steven Seagal had the fashion sense to lose it.

What is SPP? Is he a forward? Because he's not kicking goals or setting any up. Is he a mid? Because 1 clearance and 14 disposals suggests not. He is out of form and has added very little besides a few clangers every week. I would drop him this week for Mead if Gray isn't fully healed.

What is SPP? Is he a forward? Because he's not kicking goals or setting any up. Is he a mid? Because 1 clearance and 14 disposals suggests not. He is out of form and has added very little besides a few clangers every week. I would drop him this week for Mead if Gray isn't fully healed.

He's been 2017/18 Boak'd. We're playing him in that half-forward role and it's not his position. He's an inside beast... but I can't see him being ahead of Wines/Boak/Drew.

Should probably be dropped based on current performance in the role he's being asked to play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back