Player Watch Pick #18 (2016) - Sam Powell-Pepper

Remove this Banner Ad

I liked what I read about SPP before we drafted him, but I didnt think he would last, one of the WA sides would snap him up, so I didnt read a lot about him prior to the draft. I have enjoyed reading about him since we drafted him, his attitude, his interviews and the videos of him playing. I have liked reading about his attitude and his intent the most.

Now I don't know if I have missed it the few times I have visited his twitter account since we drafted him, but his header photo caught my eye tonight. How many 18 year olds drafted, let alone 18 year olds in general, have a couple of Rolls Royce in their twitter header photo?? That is a statement of intent right there!!

The big bodied midfield likes the look and ride of a big wide bodied smooth riding car, not some flash sports car. Both the sedan and coupe in the photo, so he covers the field of choice on the road - a bit like his inside and outside abilities cover his midfield options.

View attachment 322225
Spot on. He is as focused as any new recruit we have had. He has a mature no nonsense attitude with a well developed self belief. A credit to his family.

Hello, saw a post of the eagles board saying they want to trade masten for Powell Pepper, straight swap.... what are your thoughts on this... personally, I lol'd.
Lunatic fringe at its best.

Hello, saw a post of the eagles board saying they want to trade masten for Powell Pepper, straight swap.... what are your thoughts on this... personally, I lol'd.
Right up there with Port fans suggesting a swap - Chris Judd for Nathan Lonie......

So for the 2018 season, Masten would be 29YO. how enticing ... :rolleyes:

Realise this is a thread that's meant to drown in positivity but I didn't want SPP with our first round picks simply because he didn't get enough of the ball. What he does is exciting and he doesn't need any physical development to play, but we have to temper our excitement here. He has to learn how to find the ball.

Realise this is a thread that's meant to drown in positivity but I didn't want SPP with our first round picks simply because he didn't get enough of the ball. What he does is exciting and he doesn't need any physical development to play, but we have to temper our excitement here. He has to learn how to find the ball.
Temper schmemper. I'm excited

Boo.

Sounds like dangerfield when he first started

You shut your word hole.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What kind of numbers was Danger racking up in his first year?
Played 2 games in 2008, 273 disposals from 21 games in 2009(max 20, two in single figures). 298 disposals in 19 games in 2010, none in single figures but only two 20+. First 30+ disposal game was not till r23, 2011.

Yeah, I've been a little uncomfortable with the hype and pressure being placed on him. Relax, give the boy some time.

Colts stats for WAFL players, same height, age, weight, position, 1 being SPP the other a player in the afl system for a few years now who goes just fine

23.5disp, 0.6goals, 2.8 tackles, 14:17 kick to handball ratio, 0 league games, 3.77 marks

22.1disp, 1.5goals 2.8 tackles, 10:7 K/H ratio, 3.25 marks, 5 league games

Fun guessing the other.

Colts stats for WAFL players, same height, age, weight, position, 1 being SPP the other a player in the afl system for a few years now who goes just fine

23.5disp, 0.6goals, 2.8 tackles, 14:17 kick to handball ratio, 0 league games, 3.77 marks

22.1disp, 1.5goals 2.8 tackles, 10:7 K/H ratio, 3.25 marks, 5 league games

Fun guessing the other.
I hope it's who I think it is.

Agree, I think we have perfectly spread the risk with picking up Atley and Drew later. As much as our team is full of these kind of players, a player with X-Factor like SPP is worth going after, provided you can mitigate the risk, which I think we have successfully.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back