Player Watch Pick #18 (2016) - Sam Powell-Pepper

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you think it's enough to win a flag?

People here get so defensive. Fact is thst gws were given the power to make a super team. I'm not denying that. But if we are any hope of beating them we need to be better.

So I'll ask again, are you excited by our youngsters?

I'm very confident that we have one hell of a talented list, a lot of it because we have drafted & traded well the past few years. We also fluked a couple of great players late in the draft.

Is the list as talented as GWS?

On sheer weight of first round draft picks, no, on being Port Adelaide, hell yes

Wouldn't be downplaying hype on the guy who should be the best player we've drafted since Wines/Wingard, just enjoy it for now and see how he goes in the preseason comp.

Matching Ollie in the strength tests at his age and has a bit more pace to work with he could be a real gem at the pick we got him.

If he can get his disposal numbers up similar to what Danger did starting out as a flanker we'll have a pretty good player if he gets close to the talent of his predraft comparison of Martin.

People here get so defensive. Fact is thst gws were given the power to make a super team. I'm not denying that. But if we are any hope of beating them we need to be better.

It's great having Dixon and Ryder but it has left a pretty big gap of first round talent. I like some of the later picks we got but we are long way off GWS and i don't think our list can win the flag atm. So I'm not overly excited by our youngsters yet.

I hate saying this but i just want us to start playing finals again, we have to after trading out our first round pick.

The GWS situation is crap we all know it is. But to compare our situation to GWS is really not a fair fight.

A team of champions or a champion team is the age old question.

Unless you're Perth based and have followed his junior footy career with the Mt Hawthorn Cardinals, the East Perth district squad and the WA state juniors from 16 through to 18s, I'm not sure you can make meaningful comment about his alleged low disposals, poor kicking etc.

He has been a very damaging junior - he can and did play anywhere through the full back line to the forward pocket. He's got the physicality, tank and the burst to turn a game of his own boot. As a junior there was nothing wrong with his goal kicking either from set shots or snaps - the latter can be particularly effective. While he's not a super high possession getter ( i.e. 35 plus) he regularly turned in very solid mid 20s plus with multiple goals to go with them. The alleged 'knock' on his kicking is that he has in the past had a tendency of rushing disposals through the midfield by foot, that's simply because he goes at breakneck speed, not from any technical deficiency - and that can be ironed out. To say that he has poor disposal is overstating it majorly.

One of things that you'll notice pretty quickly is that he has an impressive second, third and and even forth effort - he wont die wondering.

Will he make it at the highest level? I've no idea.

But my guess is that you've picked up a jet who will leave nothing on the track.

Enjoy the ride.

Great write up , spot on .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's great having Dixon and Ryder but it has left a pretty big gap of first round talent. I like some of the later picks we got but we are long way off GWS and i don't think our list can win the flag atm. So I'm not overly excited by our youngsters yet.

I hate saying this but i just want us to start playing finals again, we have to after trading out our first round pick.

So when we signed Polec and then again Toumpus it was, "Port has 13 first round draft selections on its list" and how the premiership was a given with all this front end tallent. We have since Cut Butcher and added 2 more First rounders. It was an investment in the short term for instant success, which would then lead to potentially a long term gain, while Ryder and Dixon are on our list it is still the window, if we snag a flag this year or next it will be worth the investment.

How would you compare the Bulldogs list to GWS's? Sometimes pure talent isnt enough, you have to have the desire and the ruthlessness. Quite frankly our lack of those last two over the past few years is of much greater concern than any perceived talent gap.

How would you compare the Bulldogs list to GWS's? Sometimes pure talent isnt enough, you have to have the desire and the ruthlessness. Quite frankly our lack of those last two over the past few years is of much greater concern than any perceived talent gap.

I didn't watch all of the doggies and GWS's games but I think the difference wouldn't be to much. GWS has more talent but WB have drafted better than any one for for last three or so years. TBH i agree with you and worry that the players still might not have that desire this year.

Unless you're Perth based and have followed his junior footy career with the Mt Hawthorn Cardinals, the East Perth district squad and the WA state juniors from 16 through to 18s, I'm not sure you can make meaningful comment about his alleged low disposals, poor kicking etc.

He has been a very damaging junior - he can and did play anywhere through the full back line to the forward pocket. He's got the physicality, tank and the burst to turn a game of his own boot. As a junior there was nothing wrong with his goal kicking either from set shots or snaps - the latter can be particularly effective. While he's not a super high possession getter ( i.e. 35 plus) he regularly turned in very solid mid 20s plus with multiple goals to go with them. The alleged 'knock' on his kicking is that he has in the past had a tendency of rushing disposals through the midfield by foot, that's simply because he goes at breakneck speed, not from any technical deficiency - and that can be ironed out. To say that he has poor disposal is overstating it majorly.

One of things that you'll notice pretty quickly is that he has an impressive second, third and and even forth effort - he wont die wondering.

Will he make it at the highest level? I've no idea.

But my guess is that you've picked up a jet who will leave nothing on the track.

Enjoy the ride.
In other words getting nut isn't everything.

Needs to clean up his disposal but he's bloody built.

Some concern here if SPP disposal is below par. We have seen to much of this at Port. Butcher, O Wines being mentioned and now SPP you cant win premierships with sub standard skills, not these days at least. Surely the coaches see this and have some responsibility to address this garbage surely.

I watched him closly today he is going to make a lot of experienced footballers s**t there pants.

This will force the AFLs hands on the white shorts policy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going by reports from yesterday's trial, SPP may not make the cut for the game against the Aints, which could also mean he won't come under consideration for round one of the real stuff.
But if that does happen, it's no big deal for a first year draftee to spend time honing his skills in a lesser comp, which is usually par for the course for the majority of them anyway.

My take on the bloke is, if he makes the grade at the higher level he is more likely to be a hard charging, burst type player and not a big accumulator of the footy, but I have been wrong before, I just can't remember when. ;)

Going by reports from yesterday's trial, SPP may not make the cut for the game against the Aints, which could also mean he won't come under consideration for round one of the real stuff.
But if that does happen, it's no big deal for a first year draftee to spend time honing his skills in a lesser comp, which is usually par for the course for the majority of them anyway.

My take on the bloke is, if he makes the grade at the higher level he is more likely to be a hard charging, burst type player and not a big accumulator of the footy, but I have been wrong before, I just can't remember when. ;)
I get the feeling the coaches have him pencilled in anyway.

He'll play. Without question.

It's easier for a young player to make an impact opposing the best 22 than it is for him to make an impact with them, purely because there are more opportunities to win the ball when you're not playing with the likes of Boak, Wines, Hartlett etc.

If Willem Drew was penciled in for the best 22 and Powell-Pepper was on the whites yesterday, everyone would be talking about how awesome Powell-Pepper looked crashing in against our senior players.

He'll be given every chance to shine during the JLT.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back