Player Watch Pick #18 (2016) - Sam Powell-Pepper

Remove this Banner Ad

giphy.gif

Congrats!

These desperately horrible attempts at giving him a nickname is ruining what should be my favourite thread. Travis Boak repeatedly referred to him as Pep, the players have spoken.

If we left it up to the players everyone's name would be an abbreviation of their real name or just adding 'ie' to the end of it.

Didnt see some of that in close work when at the game he did. Those highlights of his attack in some of those contesrts was awesome.

There was nothing in that highlight package I couldn't recall from the game. In saying that though, when you look at his game in isolation it becomes apparent that both offensively and defensively he was worth far more to us than the 2 he scored off his own boot.

I mean he was just never out of the contest until the ball was completely out of the area. Time and time again he chased his own work, harassed, tackled, pushed the ball to advantage and just didn't stop until the ball had completely cleared his area. He never gave up on it or gave the impression he'd put in an effort and was letting somebody else have a crack. Thoroughly impressive second and third efforts and more.

Look out Freo. This kids gonna have 50,000 Port fans cheering him on in a few days. I don't think he'll play any less of a game. The Pepe express is comin'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe someone with photo shop skills could rework Sargent Peppers album cover with Sam surrounded by the players?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as they don't include someone wearing a "Welcome The Adelaide Crows" shirt. Or maybe they should given it was a dummy.

I think he'll be OK. For those who missed it or have forgotten I put this up on Nov 25th the day we drafted him
enjoy :)

Reporters on the draft are known for their overstatement and "might be the best" sounds like that. But the simple fact he was talked of in such terms should have meant he would go top 10, certainly not get to us at 18. With his commitment to changing his body and with his draft camp results it is amazing to think that ten clubs had picks before us. And that is clubs, some of them had multiple picks and would have been able to fill their needs and then go for SPP. Although I think GWS, Brisbane and GCS may be a bit wary of WA players after the Cam McCarthy incident.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back