Player Watch Pick #18 (2016) - Sam Powell-Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
To go with Jasper McMillan-Pittard, but he dropped the McMillian after his first or second year to make it easier for the commentators.
Jasper McMillian-Pittard was drafted in the 2009 AFL draft (November 2009) and changed his name to Jasper Pittard early in 2010 (before the 2010 footy season).

Alyx

Unbelievably Disconnected
Feb 17, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
FSdqAuA.jpg

Thanks for posting. A great article. So glad our recruiters saw the same in the kid. He gives me confidence.
More importantly, I think he gives the players confidence. They see a 19 year old kid just giving his all. It's infectious.

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
That would have to be one of the most glowing character references I have ever read! I like the "what were the recruiters thinking?" line. LOL
The WCE's board has brought a smile to my face. After the Shaun fend off v Hawthorn and the Rising Star win
it's a good read. Haven't made any cheecky comments there coz I can see where they're coming from.
Pavlich might have been useful to us in hindsight. All clubs could say "what if ".
Can't wait to see him on the w/end and if/when he does something special the crowd are gunna go bunta.
The sort of player who puts bums on seats.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
The headline would have been written by an editor, wouldn't it?
Yes, the headline and the intro;

"Glen Jakovich worked closely with Sam Powell-Pepper in his role as the Assistant Coach/Mentor with the NAB AFL Academy. After being awarded as the Round 1 NAB Rising Star, Jakovich shared his thoughts exclusively to Aflplayers.com.au."

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
Glen's brother who's name escapes me (played for Melb?) was, on his day, quite a player.

Never got a hundred in a season but he kicked his 100th career goal in his 21st game, equalling the record held by John Coleman. Nowhere near as professional as his brother, fitness issues cut his AFL career short.

I vaguely recollect that he needed to leave Australia for a time - not sure if that was for business/relationship reasons, the Balkan troubles, or just general dick-headedness.

Chrizzt

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The Jakovich article tells a nice enough story but its a complete trash piece of writing. Clearly he's an AFL personality not a journo but the story is just basically a bunch of one liners saying that SPP "is good".

I mean the last two lines of the article are:
I was so happy to be able to sit down and watch him fulfil his dream. When I saw him kick that goal from long range I got up and clapped in my lounge room.

To watch him against Sydney made me feel really good, I felt it was a great win for society.

Surely they could have spared a ghost writer to go over it so that it didn't sound like it was written by a 10 year old doing a school project.

Back