Player Watch Pick #18 (2016) - Sam Powell-Pepper

Remove this Banner Ad

He'll be able to get his rest with our early bye but the game after that is a Thursday game so instead of a full 14 days it'll only be 11. And we will be coming back from China although it's not really clear what affect that will have on anyones' game.
So far Sam and Ollie's TOG in their first years has been pretty similar a couple of games but the last one showed a big dip. The number of available rotations and the sub rule would have meant that the time a player spent on the bench was not as important to rotations as it is now, so I think this has a lot to do with the fact that in one of his first 5 games Ollie spent 79% of the game on the ground and Sam has spent 67, 68, 68, 66 and 60 percent TOG. It could also have to do with his leg being checked up because he did have a slight limp in the second quarter but did not appear to be affected by it when he came back out.

The shepherd, the clearances, the pressure acts all great stuff by SPP.

Back to back 6 day breaks caught up with him a little. So what, he is being managed nicely. 5 games all between 64% and 68% TOG. Ollie's first 12 games was between 64% and 79% with 9 being between 71% and 76% but there was unlimited rotations.

In 2020 when he has 60 games under his belt and Ollie 150 then you will see the bash brothers week in week out serving it up to the oppo and feeding our outside players with so many opportunities.

I did notice for about 15 minutes he was given the job of running with Cripps either late in the 3rd or early in the last quarter. Thought that was good coaching.

Last edited:

I just don't get some people.

For some to be calling for the dropping of a 19 year old who has come in and played three excellent games out of five, showing more than any other alternative on our fringe list is utterly absurd. I do like the drafting of Atley, but right here and now he has shown nothing to suggest he would make a considerable contribution to our senior side in the place of Powell-Pepper.

SPP has his limitations and is not necessarily going to be a blue chip star, but bloody hell we look a whole lot better with him in the team.

I just don't get some people.

For some to be calling for the dropping of a 19 year old who has come in and played three excellent games out of five, showing more than any other alternative on our fringe list is utterly absurd. I do like the drafting of Atley, but right here and now he has shown nothing to suggest he would make a considerable contribution to our senior side in the place of Powell-Pepper.

SPP has his limitations and is not necessarily going to be a blue chip star, but bloody hell we look a whole lot better with him in the team.
Who said drop?

I can't get enough of our midfield, baby.

Brendon Ah Chee is a concern though. After last year's trade period he might as well be walking to the Suns.

It's simple. Anyone who wants Sam's spot just has to fight him for it. Cage match. Bring your A-game. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He should only get rested if he's injured. Or if he's not up to it he'll get dropped and play for the Maggies. Otherwise, he continues to get games into him while being managed. None of this rest business.

The difference in Sam's TOG compared to Ollie's TOG in his first year is quite significant. But think of the different rotations and that Ollie could go on, come off after a few minutes and then rinse and repeat pretty much straight away with no limit. Sam is probably being taken off the field as much as Ollie but he has to be kept off the field to allow other players to be managed in a rotation cap. Once he has a few years I would expect that he will be one of the players who doesn't come off all that often and has TOG in the 80% range.

Definitely has a shoulder issue. Can remember 2 or 3 times where he has grabbed at it the past few weeks. So I think that's why his tackles aren't sticking at the moment. Hopefully it clears up soon!

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back