Player Watch Pick #18 (2016) - Sam Powell-Pepper

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
His best game last night and not getting the love he deserves.

We won it in the guts and he was a monster in there. Went straight at the ball at pace all night. Stats don’t show what he did. It was a brutal performance.

I didn’t think he could become this good.

He is the raging bull with dragonfly movement. A Humvee who is developing McLaren handling. I loved the way he could either run over the top of opponents or swerve around them. Fitness levels and mobility so much improved. Improving as a player at Port Adelaide.

Rowd072

Team Captain
Apr 13, 2008
Port Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

We won it in the guts and he was a monster in there. Went straight at the ball at pace all night. Stats don’t show what he did. It was a brutal performance.

Agree. Having a good season. People complain about his kicking but I actually like it when he runs and kicks it 60. Sometimes they don't spin right but his kicks are hard and fast and because we actually have forwards remaining at home it creates chaos.

Oct 5, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Up there with his 17 tackle game, his pressure was manic.

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
His style is unconventional and at times, he can look extremely clumsy. That being said, his effort can rarely, if ever be questioned. Has gone up a level this year. Like the balance he has had this year between being in the forward line and the midfield.

He has everything in his repertoire to be the best player in the comp except for his finishing. He could/should have ended with 3 goals in a landmark performance. I still thought he was our best, i iust wish his finishing was there

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Was absolutely sensational last night. As was mentioned a few times on the commentary, the way he hits stoppages at pace opens up so many opportunities for our other midfielders to work into which can develop into quite an advantage with a combination of Ryder and Lycett to exploit it.

Such clean hands in the wet too - this was quite a feature of the team last night with Boak (who has been tremendous with his one-touch work this season) and Butters especially also very notable.

Agree re. improvements to be made with his finishing. Is never going to be a finesse player (got caught out a couple of times getting a bit cute on his right due to an absence of a left foot) but would love him to be able to go back and kick those fairly basic set shots. On the whole though, he's a hell of a package and in wet conditions like last night there'd be very few players in the comp the opposition would least prefer to be up against.

blaargh

Club Legend
Mar 4, 2009
Elsewhere
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I’d ban him from the red bulls - he doesn’t need it for agression, and it might be that slight edge that’s throwing off his finishing.

Bloody love watching him play, he just looks to cause damage in every situation.

He is the raging bull with dragonfly movement. A Humvee who is developing McLaren handling. I loved the way he could either run over the top of opponents or swerve around them. Fitness levels and mobility so much improved. Improving as a player at Port Adelaide.

He's Dangerfield like in his movements around the stoppages. The 6-6-6 is made for him.

He's looking like the cheeky bugger we fell in love with when we first saw him play.

Must be great for him to be enjoying his footy again and not having to check his bin for Elspeth Hussey.

Have to remember that this is only his third year in the competition.

Wait until he gets the experience of positioning etc.

Said he needed to be that explosive player from stoppage. With Wines back to form and doing the bulk of the bull work, it’s his time to shine.

A starting midfield of Wines, Powell-Pepper and Drew is pretty awesome for the foreseeable future.

Feb 4, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Have to remember that this is only his third year in the competition.

Wait until he gets the experience of positioning etc.

Said he needed to be that explosive player from stoppage. With Wines back to form and doing the bulk of the bull work, it’s his time to shine.

A starting midfield of Wines, Powell-Pepper and Drew is pretty awesome for the foreseeable future.
Your thoughts on Dew's game!

gtrxuone

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 20, 2014
W.A.
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Black Ducks
The way SPP smashed that slippery wet footy into the Eagles backline.Caused Wce defence all kinds of problems.Was glad they got him off the field and iced up in the last qtr.Was looking uncomfortable out there.

Kiss from a Rozee

Goddess
Bring Back the Bars
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He has everything in his repertoire to be the best player in the comp except for his finishing. He could/should have ended with 3 goals in a landmark performance. I still thought he was our best, i iust wish his finishing was there
In fairness if he had great composure he surely doesn’t fall to our pick outside of the top 10.

Your thoughts on Dew's game!

You mean Willem Wallace?

giphy.gif

Back