Player Watch Pick #18 (2016) - Sam Powell-Pepper

Remove this Banner Ad

I know thisis stating the obvious, but if we’re going to persist with Houston as a mid, it could be Peps who misses out.

It certainly throws Peps a big challenge to take the next step. Which I’m sure he’s capable of.

Peps with good ball use would be ... irrepressible!!
Good point although I think there might be one or two others behind Pep

Now he's bursting out of packs, rather than looking for the fend off I think he's yet to fully realise this is giving him more time to dispose of the ball. He has that extra half a second now to spot up the best option and will hopefully in time realise this and start doing it.

Got to learn no need to bounce ball after stride 1 or 2. Should be exploding away and bouncing when he's required to .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pardon the intrusion, but Powell pepper always plays well when he comes back to perf doesn't he?
PP to kick sealer in the last two mins
We always have close games lately

Pardon the intrusion, but Powell pepper always plays well when he comes back to perf doesn't he?
PP to kick sealer in the last two mins
We always have close games lately
SPPs big issue is inaccuracy before goal. I can’t see him kicking a sealer. In fact if it were that close at the end it is more likely it will be a Freo player who kicks it. We don’t do those tight finishes well.

This thread is so ******* frustrating.

Players like SPP are invaluable to teams. Yes it’s not pretty sometimes, but as an outside player etc. you NEED the bull to lay down attrition on the opposition so you are freed up and you need him to make opposition players second guess themselves when they are trying to clear.

Players like SPP are invaluable to teams. Yes it’s not pretty sometimes, but as an outside player etc. you NEED the bull to lay down attrition on the opposition so you are freed up and you need him to make opposition players second guess themselves when they are trying to clear.

SPPs only issue is his disposal can let him down, with more experience I’m sure he’ll learn to take that slight moment to steady himself and that will do wonders for his kicking.

Could become one of the really elite mids.

SPPs only issue is his disposal can let him down, with more experience I’m sure he’ll learn to take that slight moment to steady himself and that will do wonders for his kicking.

Could become one of the really elite mids.

He's burst out of the middle and let go from 50 on multiple occasions this year and just missed the goal. If he starts nailing those then people will really take notice.

Yeah but the issue has always been - isn't that Ollie Wines? Why do we need two of these players?

I mean, we bemoan our lack of skill level and our poor forward 50 entries/finishing but sacrifice two midfield positions on unskilled bulls. The poor skill level is the invoice for our dominance in the clinches.

Good point, often saying a player brings intangibility can be a bit of a cop out, but the flurry of activity around contests is evident when he's about. Not the sort of player anyone enjoys playing against.

Yeah but the issue has always been - isn't that Ollie Wines? Why do we need two of these players?

I mean, we bemoan our lack of skill level and our poor forward 50 entries/finishing but sacrifice two midfield positions on unskilled bulls. The poor skill level is the invoice for our dominance in the clinches.
Wines is nowhere near as effective in this role. He is more a mid point player for this stuff. Wines needs the disposal improvement way more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I genuinely hope if SPP is offered a good gig at another club to take it.

This is because he's a great player and is treated like s**t by Ken Hinkley.

Ken Hinkley has recently omitted him twice for literally no other reason than Ken Hinkley himself is a baboon in an old man's body.

SPP got omitted after the game against Freo because baboon of a coach put him in the foward line while PAFC continued to lose the center bounce.

SPP then got omitted by the baboon of a coach who decided to play Butters and Sutcliffe after racking up 24 dispoals, 6 tackles and a near goal in the previous game.

Absolutely disgraceful - I hope you find a better place SPP, you will be missed - Ken Hinkley is an idiot.

I hope idiot Kochy gets sacked too for protecting Ken Hinkley

Ken Hinkley has recently omitted him twice for literally no other reason than Ken Hinkley himself is a baboon in an old man's body.

SPP got omitted after the game against Freo because baboon of a coach put him in the foward line while PAFC continued to lose the center bounce.

SPP then got omitted by the baboon of a coach who decided to play Butters and Sutcliffe after racking up 24 dispoals, 6 tackles and a near goal in the previous game.

Absolutely disgraceful - I hope you find a better place SPP, you will be missed - Ken Hinkley is an idiot.

Literally all of your posts are about Sam Powell-Pepper. Are you Sam Powell-Pepper?

Literally all of your posts are about Sam Powell-Pepper. Are you Sam Powell-Pepper?

yes I am 100% SPP

nah im just fed up with Ken - he's got an A-grade list but can't achieve s**t.

I get really annoyed about the SPP thing because it reminds me of the times when Jake Neade was on the list - and Ken kept selecting him for games when a) he didn't score goals b) was weak, slow and small but 3) kept getting selected ???

I just dont understand how kens mind works

Lol

yes I am 100% SPP

nah im just fed up with Ken - he's got an A-grade list but can't achieve s**t.

I get really annoyed about the SPP thing because it reminds me of the times when Jake Neade was on the list - and Ken kept selecting him for games when a) he didn't score goals b) was weak, slow and small but 3) kept getting selected ???

I just dont understand how kens mind works
Tell your son that he needs to learn to play outside of the centre square to be selected when we already have Boak, Gray, Rockliff and Wines who are higher priority for that role.

Tell your son that he needs to learn to play outside of the centre square to be selected when we already have Boak, Gray, Rockliff and Wines who are higher priority for that role.
5th highest average metres gained in the side, only behind Boak and running halfbacks.

2nd highest across all positions for average I50s.

4th in average score involvements

1st in average bounces.

Suggests he's actually not doing to badly working to the outside. He's got some work to do on his efficiency but he's 21 years old and 3 of the 4 players you mentioned are 29+.

5th highest average metres gained in the side, only behind Boak and running halfbacks.

1st in average bounces.

Suggests he's actually not doing to badly working to the outside. He's got some work to do on his efficiency but he's 21 years old and 3 of the 4 players you mentioned are 29+.
I love SPP, but we can’t just shoehorn him into the side every week.

Is he a better option up forward than Butters, Rozee, Ebert or Sam Gray? I don’t think so.

Is he a better option in the centre than Boak, Rockliff,Robbie, Wines, or Houston? I don’t think so.

I reckon he has a massive future, but I prefer we stick to a set up that works rather than playing midfielders as forwards.

I love SPP, but we can’t just shoehorn him into the side every week.

Is he a better option up forward than Butters, Rozee, Ebert or Sam Gray? I don’t think so.

Is he a better option in the centre than Boak, Rockliff,Robbie, Wines, or Houston? I don’t think so.

I reckon he has a massive future, but I prefer we stick to a set up that works rather than playing midfielders as forwards.

You've left out Cam Sutcliffe in this post, weird.

SPP in whatever role you'd like over Cam Sutcliffe. Sutcliffe would have to hit some career highs to match SPP's statline from the Showdown.

Sam Gray? Maybe, would likely be as useful with the benefit of being younger. SPP would be much better in the second mid rotation which Spray seems to get.

You've left out Cam Sutcliffe in this post, weird.

SPP in whatever role you'd like over Cam Sutcliffe. Sutcliffe would have to hit some career highs to match SPP's statline from the Showdown.
Mmmm

I’m not ready to make a call on Sutcliffe given he hasn’t played yet. The bits and pieces I’ve seen of him at SANFL level he has used the ball pretty well, but no one rates him so I might’ve just seen his best.

The highlight that sticks in my mind was a goal from the pocket while we were trying to come back in the last quarter. I think it was against the crows but I’m not sure.

1st in average bounces.

Kiss from a Rozee just got schooled mother *er

Remove this Banner Ad

Back