Player Watch Pick #18 (2019) - Mitch Georgiades

Remove this Banner Ad

That our coaches are even tempted to discuss playing him as a defender, wingman or midfielder blows my mind. I don’t care if he has the collective athletic prowess of Usain Bolt, Carl Lewis and Spider-Man, let him settle down playing as a lead up and marking forward. Please don’t * with that, Port. And don’t accept half-arsed, long distance preseasons again, whatever the threat of the go-home factor is.
I had a crack about the BS of not bringing him back from WA so he could do a proper full preseason and the good bloke arguments came out on here that you didnt have to worry about an elite sport mentality.

Its not the main reason for the malaise but it contributed to a mentally weak approach.

Last edited:
I had a crack about the BS of not bringing him back from WA so he could a proper full preseason and the good bloke arguments came out on here that you didnt have to worry about an elite sport mentality.

Its not the main reason for the malaise but it contributed to a mentally weak approach.
Sorry 😳 I will agree next time.

At the moment he cant kick properly, he cant catch properly, he doesnt tackle and he goes missing for ages most quarters.

If we are going to carry him then carry him as the sub otherwise he has to go down to the Maggies.

I had a crack about the BS of not bringing him back from WA so he could a proper full preseason and the good bloke arguments came out on here that you didnt have to worry about an elite sport mentality.

Yep agreed. I also had crack about it too and most on here disagreed and said that it was xmas and he deserved to be with his family.
Imo this is a big part that is wrong with our club, this wouldn't of happened under Jack. It seems like the payers are there to have fun, not to win a flag.

1658148855679.png

In case you were wondering - this is Mitch Georgiades circa 2021 vs Mitch Georgiades circa 2022.

Apart from his goal kicking, in almost every other stat he has improved...mainly because he's spending more time out on the field. By comparison, Todd Marshall has never spent more than 80% TOG until this year.

It's not mind issues, confidence issues or even lack of a pre-season issues. It's simply a guy who is building up the tank to play a modern KPF lead-up role, which takes game time and multiple pre-seasons to achieve. Up until his performance against Melbourne, I thought he was doing fine. I personally would drop him after that lack of effort, but I can understand why the coaches might not want to.

I believe next season will be Mitch's breakout season. Another preseason and he'll have the tank to run out games strong and hit those set shots that he's currently missing.

I hope we back the kid in and now that the finals dream is all over we have nothing to loose by picking him in the A's. Until last match he was making a good contribution working up and back the ground. His adjustment in role is significant and he needs time to work with it. Against Melbourne he barely seemed to move out of the forward pocket and I suspect this was either a failed tactical instruction or great screening and blocking by the Melbourne defenders. His goal kicking has dropped off from being "ultra reliable and textbook" to shonky. Like Duursma, Georgiades has lost confidence and not ability. While they are prepared to work for the team both he and Duursma need their self belief reinforced. Dropping him would only harm that.

I hope we back the kid in and now that the finals dream is all over we have nothing to loose by picking him in the A's. Until last match he was making a good contribution working up and back the ground. His adjustment in role is significant and he needs time to work with it. Against Melbourne he barely seemed to move out of the forward pocket and I suspect this was either a failed tactical instruction or great screening and blocking by the Melbourne defenders. His goal kicking has dropped off from being "ultra reliable and textbook" to shonky. Like Duursma, Georgiades has lost confidence and not ability. While they are prepared to work for the team both he and Duursma need their self belief reinforced. Dropping him would only harm that.

Bassett probably instructed him to hide in the pocket to try to take lever out of the game.
Lever was quiet but I think that was more to do with the shoulder injury he copped, not anything Mitch was doing

View attachment 1450170

In case you were wondering - this is Mitch Georgiades circa 2021 vs Mitch Georgiades circa 2022.

Apart from his goal kicking, in almost every other stat he has improved...mainly because he's spending more time out on the field. By comparison, Todd Marshall has never spent more than 80% TOG until this year.

It's not mind issues, confidence issues or even lack of a pre-season issues. It's simply a guy who is building up the tank to play a modern KPF lead-up role, which takes game time and multiple pre-seasons to achieve. Up until his performance against Melbourne, I thought he was doing fine. I personally would drop him after that lack of effort, but I can understand why the coaches might not want to.

I believe next season will be Mitch's breakout season. Another preseason and he'll have the tank to run out games strong and hit those set shots that he's currently missing.
Agree with your post but that is not what circa means. :)

At the moment he cant kick properly, he cant catch properly, he doesnt tackle and he goes missing for ages most quarters.

If we are going to carry him then carry him as the sub otherwise he has to go down to the Maggies.

Yes. Mitch was a passenger last Sunday and against the top sides we cannot afford any passengers and he was exactly that. This season his kicking has been atrocious for a mark and kick forward. Maybe he has a future in the AFL but after last Sunday I am not longer convinced. At present we have Marshall, Dixon, Finlayson all of who are giving more than Mitch and we also have Lord waiting his turn.

I agree give him some time in the SANFL and assess how he goes.

How many of these kids can you back in and for how long? Mitch needs to go back to the SANFL and work on his kicking. For starters every time he lines up for a shot he looks around for someone to kick to, that denotes that he has lost confidence in his ability. Send him back to the SANFL with the task of working on his kicking at goal. He could also look at his recovery as well. Keeping an under performer in the side sends all the wrong messages to both the player concerned and to other players. You should earn your place in the side based on what you produce not get carried because of your potential and what you might on day produce.

Up until the end of 2021 season Mitch had kicked 40.23 but this season he has kicked 15.21. He has lost all confidence.

Agree with your post but that is not what circa means. :)
Doesn't it mean 'approximately'?

I used it because the 2022 season hasn't finished yet, so any comparison between this year and previous years is going to be a best guess.

Another one who needs to add 5-7kg to his frame.

Would not lose any athleticism at his height and would help him with contested ball situations.

Doesn't it mean 'approximately'?

I used it because the 2022 season hasn't finished yet, so any comparison between this year and previous years is going to be a best guess.
It does, but "circa 2022" means approximately 2022, could also be 2021, or even 2023!

I am presuming you mean "up to circa July 2021 vs circa July 2022," indicating an approximate time during those two years.

PS ... I also feel we need to persist with him. He is a super talent, but he is still very young. If you look back on all the star KPFs over the last decade or so, they were all inconsistent in their early years. I remember even Hawkins being so. Good to great games, then go missing.

We need to persist with him. However if he has a few more poor games, then I reckon Lord comes in to give him a taste, and let George see what he is missing out on playing in the 2s.

Another one who needs to add 5-7kg to his frame.
The lament we've had every pre-season since back to Choco's days. Having a season where Port is the team which is/looks bigger than the opposition is as much as a pipe dream as a flag at this point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It wouldn’t be the Port big footy thread without dumping sh1t on a young, developing key forward
Or ruck. We've backed one young KPF/Ruck in the last 10 years (Marshall) and we have one young KPF/Ruck paying dividends for it. If our fans/club refuses to look at the lessons of just about every other AFL club of backing young talls in, can we at least look at our own solitary success from doing the right thing and give Mitch (and Hayes) games, despite any up or downs?!

Big footy posters often don't consider that a player they're harshly judging is still just a kid. Kids are inconsistent while they learn their craft at the elite level.

That Georgiadis is only 20yrs old and has already played around 40 games, many of them good games, tells me that he's going to be an A Grader.

Rozee, butters, duursma, Jones, burgoyne, sinn, georgiadis, Marshall, Powell pepper and bergmann are all going to be excellent consistent players as their experience grows. Some will even be all-australians in time.

Last edited:
Much better game from Mitch, despite copping an injury.

Shame he didn’t convert after that great mark but at least he didn’t shank the set shot.

It looked to me like he tried a longer run-up for his second shot on goal and it paid dividends.

Big footy posters often don't consider that a player they're harshly judging is still just a kid. Kids are inconsistent while they learn their craft at the elite level.

That Georgiadis is only 20yrs old and has already played around 40 games, many of them good games, tells me that he's going to be an A Grader.

Rozee, butters, duursma, Jones, burgoyne, sinn, georgiadis, Marshall, Powell pepper and bergmann are all going to be excellent consistent players as their experience grows. Some will even be all-australians in time.

By what possible metric can you assert that Sinn is going to be an excellent consistent player? Because he was a high draft pick? So was Chayce jones

He's a great athlete who isn't really good at anything except marking from a football perspective at this stage. The potential is there though for a proper coach to teach him to play in a proper system and reap the rewards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back