News Xavier Duursma departs for Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

I wanted him pre-draft for everything he has done and his potential upside when he fills out a little, as mentioned previously he reminds me of an early 90’s Magpie SANFL footballer. A real competitor whom wins the ball, kicks it on and then follows it up. David Brown, George Fiacchi types.

I love what he has brought to our outfit, I love what he is doing and I love what he could become. I haven’t seen anything glaringly obvious that screams Cam O’Shea or John Butcher. If he can be the outside version of Brad Ebert circa 2012-2016, happy days, if he can put on 8kgs and become the hybrid Ebert was Brilliant, at worst I think he could be a Tom Jonas replacement.

I would hazard a guess, Ports Captain after Ollie Wines

Xavier Duursma responds to his pre-draft critics

giphy.gif

Those figures are quite amazing really. Its funny, I viewed him more of a long-term project player when we drafted him. His progress & performances so far have been massively surprising! When rookie players start putting down elite numbers so early in their career, it is a clear indicator that you have the makings of a special player!

Those figures are quite amazing really. Its funny, I viewed him more of a long-term project player when we drafted him. His progress & performances so far have been massively surprising! When rookie players start putting down elite numbers so early in their career, it is a clear indicator that you have the makings of a special player!

Nah he was always going to start with a bang due to that running power....he was always going to become a favourite of the coaches very quickly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah he was always going to start with a bang due to that running power....he was always going to become a favourite of the coaches very quickly
You had the advantage Macca, with your interest in following the under-18 crop each year. From my perspective I certainly had him behind our first two picks, but he has excelled! Top stuff, and real kudos to our recruiting guys.

Serial pest and running machine from the lions. Lock down small/half back flanker. Not sure if he is still on the list. He and Mitch Robinson formed a pretty aggravating duo at times.
That’d be Nick Robertson.

Reckon Zak might be the first Port player wearing the #18 that is universally loved by Port fans since Eric Freeman, who kicked a s**t load goals for the club.

Dave Granger was feared more than loved, and it ended badly for him with the club. Kane is respected for his work ethic but I dont think was loved for his brilliant skills. None of the others below since Freeman stand out as being loved by the fans.

From the numbers thread on the Club 1870 board.

18 - Zak Butters, Jimmy Toumpas, Kane Cornes, Mark Harwood, David Granger, Arlen Kennedy, Peter Broderick, Troy Bond, Paul Kemp, Colin Whitehead, Eric Freeman, Tom Garland

Wrong player thread but good post

did we have the old 3km time trial pre season this year? if Xavier is running 17.4km in a game i'd imagine he would've gone close to winning that time trial. From memory Amon and Clurey were past winners?

did we have the old 3km time trial pre season this year? if Xavier is running 17.4km in a game i'd imagine he would've gone close to winning that time trial. From memory Amon and Clurey were past winners?
Actually I think we got rid of the 3km time trial at the 2016/17 preseason. Found this video from November 2016 in the SpeedEndurance thread I started years ago, and in that thread I posted a June 2017 article that the AFL announced they would ditch the 3km time trial at the draft combine for a 2km time trial.

who did we have to give up to grab him? would have been nice with he and polly on either wings!
At least one of them would have been happy to run defensively and get a hard ball...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back