News Xavier Duursma departs for Essendon

Gerard Healy during the game was using his medical expertise to diagnose a significant hamstring tear which would require surgery saying X would miss a significant part of the season

thankfully he is a ******* who has no idea

a hammy strain 3-4 weeks pretty standard
He used to be a physio for a decade - until he got a cushy job in the media 25 years ago.

To be fair Spadge main point about Healy that "thankfully he is a ******* who has no idea" was not refuted.

About the only good thing to come from that was that the positioning of the ice pack indicated he hadn't ripped a tendon insert. And I don't have any experience as a physio! :p

I hope we go massively overcautious with his recovery TBH. And try and figure out what muscle imbalance or postural problem is causing it and start training it out. fu** recurring hammies.

Hartlett had all of these issues at the start of his career and seems to have sorted himself out. I'm sure they're looking into it.

I hope we go massively overcautious with his recovery TBH. And try and figure out what muscle imbalance or postural problem is causing it and start training it out. fu** recurring hammies.
Yep no reason to rush, we've got plenty of players hungry for a chance, and several ways we can approach this.

We could go like for like with 1 of Bergman/Mayes, we could bring in 1 of Watts/Lienert and push Bonner up the ground, we could bring in 1 of Georgiades/Williams/Farrell and put Rozee or Butters on the wing perhaps.

jakey

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Hartlett had all of these issues at the start of his career and seems to have sorted himself out. I'm sure they're looking into it.
Yeah I've no doubt they are. I just hope there's zero pressure from the coaching group to get him back on the park. This guy could play for the next 15 years for us.

Being a physio for 3 minutes a quarter of a century ago doesn't mean you can diagnose the severity of a hamstring injury on the spot.
That's right if it was 3 minutes, but it was for 10 years which gives you an idea. He made a bad call this time, big deal, but guys in exactly the same situation as X man, have done what Healey called he thought had happened to his hammy.

Feb 20, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
That's right if it was 3 minutes, but it was for 10 years which gives you an idea. He made a bad call this time, big deal, but guys in exactly the same situation as X man, have done what Healey called he thought had happened to his hammy.

To be fair to Healy (I'm disgusted just saying that) the way X reacted like he had been shot, the severe pain he looked to be in, where he initially grabbed and the way he struggled to walk out in the 3qtr time huddle all indicated it was quite severe and quite possibly a tendon. From having actually done a hamstring tendon requiring surgery myself it was identical to how I reacted. We have been lucky that its turned out to be a strain in the muscle belly and no tendon damage that we know of.

To be fair to Healy (I'm disgusted just saying that) the way X reacted like he had been shot, the severe pain he looked to be in, where he initially grabbed and the way he struggled to walk out in the 3qtr time huddle all indicated it was quite severe and quite possibly a tendon. From having actually done a hamstring tendon requiring surgery myself it was identical to how I reacted. We have been lucky that its turned out to be a strain in the muscle belly and no tendon damage that we know of.

I have a mate that I played footy with for about 6 years and every season he pinged his hamstring. We would stir him up and would go twang, twang, if he went too hard at training and go flat out.

Usually he injured it was whilst he was sprinting but twice it was whilst he was running flat out and kicking the ball in a game. The first time was a bad hamstring injury about 6 weeks, but the second time was a shocker and he was out for 12 weeks, he had surgery and I never payed footy with him again. X's looked a really bad one when I saw it in slow mo and you could see his leg was fully extended and I thought Healey is probably right, but I hoped he was wrong.

Smithy7

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 1, 2014
South of Scotland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Xavier played a much better game yesterday and it was great to see the arrow out.
1599951943023.png

He did get excited when he kicked a goal .. 🏹

jakey

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
While it's a wonderful thing to see this level of courage, the long term consequences are a worry. Here's hoping Xav's noggin doesn't get too many more floggins like that over the next 10 or so glorious years.

Gerard Healy during the game was using his medical expertise to diagnose a significant hamstring tear which would require surgery saying X would miss a significant part of the season

thankfully he is a ******* who has no idea

a hammy strain 3-4 weeks pretty standard

Nobody:

Absolutely Nobody:

Gerard Healy: Is this a dreaded Syndesmosis?

AFL 2020: Port Adelaide Power news, how club’s past is driving its premiership push in its 150th year

For today’s draftees, the indoctrination starts the day they arrive at Alberton and are met by Port Magpies legend Tim Ginever for a guided tour of the club.

“Tim Ginever took us through the old Alberton stands and changerooms, as you know he’s amazing, he can talk to a brick wall for hours so it was a very entertaining hour and he got a lot of words out,” said Xavier Duursma, who got the tour in 2018.

“We got introduced to the club legends, learnt the history of the club, the Port Adelaide way, the blue collar attitude that the Port Adelaide people bring, to everything they do — not just the players but the community as a whole.

“This club is a great community club not just with footy and I think that’s massive that we’ve done that for 150 years.”

Back