News Xavier Duursma departs for Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

This and every other pick for every other club.

How people who have never watched anything more than a highlights package can rate who 'won' or 'lost' the draft astounds me.
That said, well done GWS, very impressive haul for the selections they held

Ken is very good at relationships with players, but looks to me like he's very bad at it when he knows it's being filmed. I can't blame him. It's very hard to be natural in such an artificial environment.
I'm not sure what he is expected to say or talk about

There were people on here that were fapping over these clips of kenny talking to players 3 or 4 years ago, now it is all awkward uncle kenny but absolutely nothing has changed.

I'm not sure what he is expected to say or talk about

There were people on here that were fapping over these clips of kenny talking to players 3 or 4 years ago, now it is all awkward uncle kenny but absolutely nothing has changed.

I agree, but something has changed. We went from being an exciting football club to boring as batshit with no real hope of improvement

Did Kenny say “we like the game played fast” in that clip? Good times.

No, he said "I like the game played fast."

Nathan Bassett likes the game played slow and methodical from defence, which is why he's been moved to the forward line and Montgomery has been put in charge of our defenders.

This and every other pick for every other club.

How people who have never watched anything more than a highlights package can rate who 'won' or 'lost' the draft astounds me.

You've just described 90% of observers. The difference is between 'can' and 'will'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

XAVIER DUURSMA

184 / 70 / RF

603523.jpg

Clubs: Gippsland / Vic Country

Positions: In/Out Midfield

Stats:

Xavier has played TAC Cup football for the last three seasons, culminating in an excellent year in 2018 averaging 23 disposals, 5 tackles and a goal a game for Gippsland. He was a little underwhelming at the Champs in comparison to that form, averaging 14 disposals and 2 inside 50s a game.

Gamestyle:

Xavier is a general midfielder with some explosive traits to go with good inside instincts. He is a hard runner, has a lot of pace off the mark, but is still quite raw in terms of skills.

Physically he looks the package. He plays bigger and taller than he is, has a good frame and could become a super powerful midfielder in a few years time. He has a lot of burst speed to breakaway from stoppages, has good agility to evade tackles and will in time have the core strength to break through tackles.

The football side has promise, but still needs some work. He is a long right foot kick, but he is by no means a clean user of the ball. His kicking can be a real mixed bag. His kicking can range from perfect long kicks to the lead to short floaters that miss the target. He can get caught in blind kicking forward at times. His handballing skills are a highlight. He has quick hands and has a handball like a bullet. He has shown to be a ball magnet and is decent in front of goals as well.

There is a lot of development left in Xavier. He can be cleaner with the ball and with some more physical development, he has the potential to provide some genuine x-factor and power to an AFL midfield unit.

Draft Range: 10-30

Xavier could easily turn into a physical beast at AFL level. He has the frame to become a really big body in a midfield group. He has form at TAC Cup level but is he damaging enough? He can find plenty of the ball but his kicking really lets him down. It’s that which may see him fall into a potential late second round pick. Port might look at him with 10 or 15, the Crows at 13 and 16 will be keen and Geelong with 12 will consider him too. If he falls beyond those, then Melbourne at 23, Gold Coast at 24 and and 29 will look to him.
Why do I look at this pic and read this bio and think 'Adam Treloar"?

The highlights of Duursma provided on the club's website are a little different from those initially shown on the draft hub at afl.com.au.

The more recent video is pretty impressive really. It shows a player who has genuine power and acceleration and takes the game on decisively. It also shows some nicely weighted kicks to the advantage of teammates.

A lot's been made of Duursma's poor decision making and errant kicking, but is it really that bad?

He looks like he could develop into anything.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/video/2018-11-23/xavier-duursma-highlights-ptv

The highlights of Duursma provided on the club's website are a little different from those initially shown on the draft hub at afl.com.au.

The more recent video is pretty impressive really. It shows a player who has genuine power and acceleration and takes the game on decisively. It also shows some nicely weighted kicks to the advantage of teammates.

A lot's been made of Duursma's poor decision making and errant kicking, but is it really that bad?

Most of his highlights are from TAC cup where is was in the guts/pushing forward. In the championships he was playing as a rebounding defender, and that's where I saw some poor decision making (the championship edits also show all involvements, not just the good bits) and got Pittard vibes. Maybe it was the similar draft range and draft situation (09 draft hand and this draft hand) that spooked me.

I really like the look of him in the midfield role though. Bit of Macrae about him, which would be an amazing outcome if he could develop his AFL game into being a player like that.

Its a highlights vid. Its not going to show a warts and all look.

Xaviers issue is more decision making. Hes a nice kick but makes poor decisions

Hoping a half decent system will fix that

Concerned that Hinkley called him a flanker on SEN yesterday, his best footy would be as a midfielder imo

Perfect Pittard replacement then?

Concerned that Hinkley called him a flanker on SEN yesterday, his best footy would be as a midfielder imo
Everyone’s a flanker in Hinkleys pathetic world.

A flanker is what he is right now isn’t it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back