News Xavier Duursma departs for Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Six weeks wouldn't be the end of the world. Need to get him right as he could be a long-term leader at the club.

Email today:
Duursma suffered a significant hyperextension of his right knee which forced him off during the last quarter of Port’s win over Richmond on Friday night.

The 20-year-old will undergo surgery on the lateral ligament in the next few days and a timeframe for his return to playing will become clearer in coming weeks.

Hi everybody, what a great night at the football last night. Boy oh boy aren't our players a little bit banged up though! My dad and I were really concerned when Duursmy (that's our nickname for him in my family, my brother Stephen gave it to him after his first game against Melbourne in 2019) went down with what looked like a nasty knee injury. Even Aunty Sarah felt sorry for him after the game, and she is a mad Richmond Tigers supporter!

Anyway, my dad called his friend Doctor Peters this morning to see if we find out anything about the injury. Doctor Peters (David Peters) is a good friend of my dad from his university days, and oh boy do they have some stories!

So Doctor Peters isn't actually a big football fan so he didn't actually see the incident first-hand, but my dad sent him a link to the video so he could do an assessment.

He basically said that in basic terms, the knee connects the thigh with the leg, and consists of two joints. He also said its vulnerable to injury, especially in contact sports such as football, but we weren't suprised to hear that!

He believes it looks like a lateral ligament injury, which he went on to explain connects something called a femur to something else called a fibula (sorry about the medical mumbo jumbo!) and it's hard to say how long the recovery could take without seeing some scans to know the extent of the damage. He also said that it's not necessarily the end of the world and there are worse injuries that he could have. When my dad told me that's what he said, I said "What, like an axe to the face!?" and he laughed and agreed that that would be worse.

Hope to see Duursmy back out there soon, my mum, dad and I agreed that we would all do a bow and arrow celebration for every goal now when we are watching until he comes back and takes on the duties again. Sort of as a show of support.

Hi everybody, what a great night at the football last night. Boy oh boy aren't our players a little bit banged up though! My dad and I were really concerned when Duursmy (that's our nickname for him in my family, my brother Stephen gave it to him after his first game against Melbourne in 2019) went down with what looked like a nasty knee injury. Even Aunty Sarah felt sorry for him after the game, and she is a mad Richmond Tigers supporter!

Anyway, my dad called his friend Doctor Peters this morning to see if we find out anything about the injury. Doctor Peters (David Peters) is a good friend of my dad from his university days, and oh boy do they have some stories!

So Doctor Peters isn't actually a big football fan so he didn't actually see the incident first-hand, but my dad sent him a link to the video so he could do an assessment.

He basically said that in basic terms, the knee connects the thigh with the leg, and consists of two joints. He also said its vulnerable to injury, especially in contact sports such as football, but we weren't suprised to hear that!

He believes it looks like a lateral ligament injury, which he went on to explain connects something called a femur to something else called a fibula (sorry about the medical mumbo jumbo!) and it's hard to say how long the recovery could take without seeing some scans to know the extent of the damage. He also said that it's not necessarily the end of the world and there are worse injuries that he could have. When my dad told me that's what he said, I said "What, like an axe to the face!?" and he laughed and agreed that that would be worse.

Hope to see Duursmy back out there soon, my mum, dad and I agreed that we would all do a bow and arrow celebration for every goal now when we are watching until he comes back and takes on the duties again. Sort of as a show of support.
Jesus.

Might be time to move out of your mum and dad's basement...

He believes it looks like a lateral ligament injury, which he went on to explain connects something called a femur to something else called a fibula (sorry about the medical mumbo jumbo!)
A femur is actually a pretty common word.

Google defines it as "an arboreal primate with a pointed snout and typically a long tail, found only in Madagascar" which presumably refers to the 2005 film in which several zoo animals wash ashore on the eponymous island and a series of misadventures leads to beautiful friendships with a group of femurs who like to "move it" - just like that pesky lateral ligament of Duursmy.

Unfortunately neither me or my mum know what fibula means or how it relates to the Madagascar Cinematic Universe and I am unable to help you with that word.

Good luck and I will join you and your family bow-and-arrowing in honour of Duursmy.

Gotta look at the positives at least it's early in the season so no stuffing around just get it right & in the meantime we see which depth/younger players can cut it, all the best X.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So was #18 about right for Duursma?

I was surprised GWS, Geelong, Collingwood and Adelaide all passed on him.
Here my list order of the 2018 draft. I have left Sam Walsh as the number 1 pick only because he hasnt put a foot wrong, but IMO Butters is better:

1 Sam Walsh
2 Zak Butters
3 Bailey Smith
4 Ben King
5 Connor Rozee
6 Max King
7 Jack Lukosius
8 Xavier Duursma
9 Isaac Quaynor
10 Nick Blakey
11 Jordan Clark
12 Tarryn Thomas
13 Izak Rankine
14 Jye Caldwell
15 Liam Stocker
16 Riley Collier-Dawkins
17 Sam Sturt
*18 Chayce Jones
*19 Jackson Hately
*20 Ned McHenry

*Lachlan Sholl taken in the 50's is better than all of these

Here my list order of the 2018 draft. I have left Sam Walsh as the number 1 pick only because he hasnt put a foot wrong, but IMO Butters is better:

1 Sam Walsh
2 Zak Butters
3 Bailey Smith
4 Ben King
5 Connor Rozee
6 Max King
7 Jack Lukosius
8 Xavier Duursma
9 Isaac Quaynor
10 Nick Blakey
11 Jordan Clark
12 Tarryn Thomas
13 Izak Rankine
14 Jye Caldwell
15 Liam Stocker
16 Riley Collier-Dawkins
17 Sam Sturt
*18 Chayce Jones
*19 Jackson Hately
*20 Ned McHenry

*Lachlan Sholl taken in the 50's is better than all of these
Good list. Carlton HAD to pick Walsh. He was the smartest pick. However:

Carlton could have picked anyone up to #9 and including Rankine and they would have made a good pick. That draft is super talented in the top 10

Good list. Carlton HAD to pick Walsh. He was the smartest pick. However:

Carlton could have picked anyone up to #9 and including Rankine and they would have made a good pick. That draft is super talented in the top 10

I dunno, I'd say up to #6. Luko, Duursma and Quaynor are good players but I wouldn't want to have used pick #1 on any of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back