News Xavier Duursma departs for Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally I'd love to see him cop balls on the scone because he's got depth perception issues.

Chadbro to teabag him at his first Jack Watts pool party.

The only place i haven't seen Duursma rated is on this board, no offence to the draft experts on this board that clearly spend a lot of time watching under 18 level footy but i'm more inclined to put faith in those that are paid to do what they do.

At the end of the day, plenty of players that were highly rated at under 18 level don't make it and vice versa. But at this very early stage it seems like a good pick for Port. Very predictable pick too, pretty much every phantom had us linked to him at one point.

Crows were going to take him at the Stocker pick.

I wish we'd picked Stocker at the Duursma pick. I'm not necessarily anti-Duursma, but I really really like Stocker.

so far I've read that Crows were going to pick Butters and Duursma just after we did, and that the crows picked McHenry just before we were going to.

Seems like we could both just outsource recruiting to the same mob.

OK I have now watched two of his games since the draft.

1 - He is not an inside mid, he looks like he should be but he does not get first hands to the ball when in there.
2 - his kicking at times looks awkward but is actually quite good but in no way is he elite.
3 - His off the ball running is very very good
4 - to me it just looks like he will develop a huge amount of power. As he fills out I think it will allow him to use his power even more.
5 - Wing Half back is his likely role IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK I have now watched two of his games since the draft.

1 - He is not an inside mid, he looks like he should be but he does not get first hands to the ball when in there.
2 - his kicking at times looks awkward but is actually quite good but in no way is he elite.
3 - His off the ball running is very very good
4 - to me it just looks like he will develop a huge amount of power. As he fills out I think it will allow him to use his power even more.
5 - Wing Half back is his likely role IMO

Could he play as a secondary mid? The sort of guy who runs through the stoppage and gets the handball receive from an inside mid?

They traded the pick because who they wanted at 19 was gone. They didn’t trade 19 for a pick, they traded it for an upgrade on a pick. I am obviously more bullish about Carlton next year than most are. Did you see how Carlton played against Port?

I agree with you on this one OGC.

IN: Docherty, Walsh, Setterfield, McGovern, Fasolo, Newman, Stocker
OUT: Nobody who was any good at football

Add in the natural improvement to be expected from a young side and they're every chance at improving.

Last edited:
They traded the pick because who they wanted at 19 was gone. They didn’t trade 19 for a pick, they traded it for an upgrade on a pick. I am obviously more bullish about Carlton next year than most are. Did you see how Carlton played against Port?

Yeah, Carlton will improve next season. And nobody is finishing below the Suns in 2019.

Silvagni also said they weren't fans of next year's draft. They expect to improve enough not to be concerned by who they miss.

They rated Stocker above the top players next year. Others may not agree but they were confident in their position.

https://taccup.com.au/replay-gippsland-vs-oakleigh/

Just watched the first 20 minutes of the TAC cup prelim final. Duursma was present at every stoppage in that time and didn’t look like getting near the drop of the footy. Seemed to take up a defensive mindset at the stoppage, let his opponent slip away easily (on at least one occasion RCD), and when he did go to tackle they didn’t stick. The other two things that feature are that he looks very puffed on every occasion despite not looking like he’s running (other than to make the next stoppage), and at least twice he got bumped to ground and took an age to get up.

https://taccup.com.au/replay-gippsland-vs-oakleigh/

Just watched the first 20 minutes of the TAC cup prelim final. Duursma was present at every stoppage in that time and didn’t look like getting near the drop of the footy. Seemed to take up a defensive mindset at the stoppage, let his opponent slip away easily (on at least one occasion RCD), and when he did go to tackle they didn’t stick. The other two things that feature are that he looks very puffed on every occasion despite not looking like he’s running (other than to make the next stoppage), and at least twice he got bumped to ground and took an age to get up.
He’ll fit right in then.

From a chamber of commerce site
https://foster.vic.au/xavier-selected-for-all-australian-afl-team/
Xavier selected for All-Australian AFL team
ADDED 29 JUL 2015 |
Gippsland Secondary College Year 9 student and Foster footballer Xavier Duursma has had a week to remember.

Xavier was selected to play Australian Rules football for Victoria in the Under 15 team in the School Sport Australia National Championships. The carnival took place last week in Geelong. After five games in seven days, the team played off in the Grand Final on Saturday against a big and strong Western Australian team that had defeated them in the pool matches by two points with the last kick of the day..........................
https://foster.vic.au/xavier-selected-for-all-australian-afl-team/

A Gippsland area local paper
http://sgst.com.au/2018/03/duursma-lead-power/
Duursma to lead Power
posted by Sentinel-Times March 21, 2018

FOSTER Secondary College student Xavier Duursma is one of Gippsland Power’s brightest prospects to be drafted to the AFL at the end of the year.The Year 12 student was last week named captain of the Gippsland Power Under 18 TAC Cup team for 2018, and Gippsland Power talent manager Peter Francis says he has “all the attributes” to be a drafted player by the end of November..............
http://sgst.com.au/2018/03/duursma-lead-power/

Remove this Banner Ad

Back