News Xavier Duursma departs for Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't see the point of trying to say who won the trade; I think we'll have to wait until all three have retired to properly assess it.

On the topic of Duursma, I love his willingness to work hard and his ability to find the ball, he just needs to clean up his kicking/decision-making.

Nah. I'm swapping Burton and Duursma to get Wingard back every day of the week. Both have been pretty average so far.
Yeah once Wingard is fit and firing he's a top player. Still early doors for Burton and Duursma.

Will have to see if Wingard recaptures his 2015 form otherwise this trade is looking like a nice save.

Stiff ask to expect Chad to return to form he hasn't shown the past 3 seasons whilst not having a full pre season due to injury.

Duursma reminds me a lot of Pittard from a few years back. Does a lot of good but his bad is horrendous. I think he has the talent to be a good player for a long time in the league.

Stiff ask to expect Chad to return to form he hasn't shown the past 3 seasons whilst not having a full pre season due to injury.

Duursma reminds me a lot of Pittard from a few years back. Does a lot of good but his bad is horrendous. I think he has the talent to be a good player for a long time in the league.

Most of his bad is probably more from a lack of experience and maybe composure, that’ll change as he gets more experience at AFL level

Who knows what 2020 and beyond will hold for either player. Right now it’s looking good for us which is strange as we have the bottom aged Duursma and young Burton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be honest I’m gonna be pretty worried about Burton until he shows a bit more. Definitely too early to worry though.

What’s weird is Ricciouto acting like we are already ahead, I mean Duursma looks like he should make it but he’s definitely not looking like he will be as good as Wingard (yet).

Getting Rozee because of that trade is what I’m most excited about though. If Burton and Duursma are anything more than serviceable we come out way ahead thanks to pick 5 vs 6 IMO.

Rozee >>>>>>> Ben King

He looks like an old Magpie player I remember growing up watching, a genuine workhorse that went when it was his time. Never the best all round player, but heart and courage, combined with a willingness to work earns the respect of their peers, opposition and supporters!

I don't get the negativity towards Duursma. He was very good against North and has had a solid pre-season.
Finds the ball, runs hard both ways and I reckon his decision making is good. As he gets fitter and more experienced his disposal (though not bad) will improve even more. Let's remember he's ******* 18.
I think we've got a 200 game player on our hands.

I don't think anyone is really hating on Duursma. It's probably more of a question whether he'd offer more than say a Mayes, Hoff, Amon, Burton, Watts etc. on the wing.

I'd be pretty happy to back him in until after Round 3 to judge him. That's a game against a good side, a poor side and one unknown side, which I think is a good mix to assess the 2019 impact of all our first rounders.

I don't get the negativity towards Duursma. He was very good against North and has had a solid pre-season.
Finds the ball, runs hard both ways and I reckon his decision making is good. As he gets fitter and more experienced his disposal (though not bad) will improve even more. Let's remember he's ******* 18.
Agree. In fact, I'd have him in the Round 1 team before Rozee right now. He has the potential to become our Polec replacement on the wing.

Ecks-dee showing plenty so far IMO.

Comes straight into the side on the wing and adds a good option and plenty of run with or without the ball.

He makes some odd decisions with the ball but we can take the risk IMO. I’m not sure if he’ll outperform Burton, Mayes and Amon but to be able to plug and play him from round one is a pretty huge deal.

I don’t think anyone’s doubting his ability. Just questioning whether he makes the round 1 side.

At the moment I think Amon, Mayes, Drew and Duursma are all fighting it out for that last spot in the side.

I don't think he would have been judged so harshly around here if a couple of posters hadn't made a negative hoo-ha about him prior and upon his drafting (and continuing to do so) then followed by the groupthink.
I have watched the North replay several times .. Duursma only made two mistakes. Was surprised how much he did in the game.
Had a smile when he got a free against Polec. He will be a very good player for Port. Give him time to develop into the Port system.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back